Opinion of James Joyce (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:11:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of James Joyce (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ^
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Opinion of James Joyce  (Read 1254 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 02, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »

"HP" is relative. Tongue

He's a major literary figure who's very challenging (and not all of his work is like Finnegans Wake, of course - it took him like twenty years to produce that), so in RL terms, he's a FF. But in context, HP.

I don't enjoy that era, its norms, its "high literary culture," etc. It's insufferably pretentious. That's just me. Don't care much for T.S. Eliot either.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 05:33:01 PM »

I don't enjoy that era, its norms, its "high literary culture," etc. It's insufferably pretentious. That's just me. Don't care much for T.S. Eliot either.

You might like later Eliot better than earlier Eliot because his work is a lot more self-aware, self-critical and less overwhelmingly riddling, but it's also heavily religious in both structure and content, so maybe not.

I PMed you.

You know, I don't mind the metaphysical approach at all, I think it's the more didactic approach that I mind. I find John Donne to be a little overbearing, but not John Milton. I've read C.S. Lewis as well, and while I don't react negatively to it (he's an exceptional writer from a stylistic point of view, and often funny), I probably just don't relate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies