Is America really a great democracy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:24:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is America really a great democracy?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is America really a great democracy?  (Read 3225 times)
Tieteobserver
Rookie
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 06:50:00 AM »

No. On the Federal level, it's a great republic. I'm paraphrasing, but I believe George Washington said that democracy is 51 wolves deciding to eat 49 sheep. Part of the purpose of the US Constitution is to protect the right of a minority (regarding free speech, religion, political opinion, etc.), despite the demands or views of the majority.

On the state and local level, there are more things that are considered democracy, with varying degrees of importance: ex. voting on issuance of bonds for a particular project, amendments to state constitutions, and things such as legalization of marijuana.

Where do I sign?

America is becoming a democracy, unfortunately. But its still a great Republic. The greatest Republic ever created so far.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »

Oh God, not this republic/democracy nonsense again...
Tieteobserver
Rookie
Brazil

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 04:08:32 PM »

Why is it a non-sense? Didn't they tell you there was a clear difference between those two concepts, though they may have some overlap, and a country might be both at the same time?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 04:07:39 AM »

It's no use. It's one of those great myths that no amount of reasoning will eliminate. Like the notions that Republicans are "fiscal conservatives".
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 06:19:09 AM »

Like any other democracy, America is an extremely flawed one.

But you know what Churchill said...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 06:48:24 AM »

It's no use. It's one of those great myths that no amount of reasoning will eliminate. Like the notions that Republicans are "fiscal conservatives".

I should note there is an illogical strawman that conservatives (and even some liberals) make is the assumption that those that are advocating for expanded democracy on the electoral level are advocating for it on all levels, including the Judiciary (lol).  We, even some of us far leftists, realize that there is a need for safeguards to protect the interests of the minority while also not believe in an elitist fiefdom where only the few and the proud get to vote for who makes decisions.  Nobody in their right mind seriously believes that judges should be elected or that there is no need for a national legislature.  I mean really!
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »

Lolno.  Was never founded to be anything close to a democracy.  Has always, to one degree or another, been an oligarchic kleptocracy with a particularly strong influence by public opinion not seen in most other non-democratic states.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 01:45:07 AM »

As far as democracies go, there are far worse out there.  India (the BJP might be the most distasteful major party in a major democracy that I can think of) and South Africa come to mind, and politicus also mentioned Brazil.  Even within the first world, I'd be hard-pressed to say US democracy is worse than, say, Japan's.

In different ways, the German and Australian democratic processes used to strike me as the most sound, but the former has become increasingly unhinged as a party (the Left Party) that everyone else absolutely refuses to coalesce with seems to have broken their fine system and led to unworkable grand coalitions becoming the order of the day.  Australia wins, I suppose.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 03:33:21 AM »

Why is it a non-sense? Didn't they tell you there was a clear difference between those two concepts, though they may have some overlap, and a country might be both at the same time?

Saying that America is 'a republic, not a democracy' is like saying that a shirt is 'made of cotton, not an article of clothing'.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 06:24:52 AM »

Xahar's right. The question is pointless.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 02:08:54 PM »

We're certainly better than a fair number of even developed nations as far as election processes go- Japan, Hungary, Italy, etc. Though Australia and Germany probably do do the best.

I'm particularly proud of our intolerance of high deviations in redistricting- I'm glad we don't allow unbearably high deviations (10%- egads!) like Canada.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »

We're certainly better than a fair number of even developed nations as far as election processes go- Japan, Hungary, Italy, etc. Though Australia and Germany probably do do the best.

I'm particularly proud of our intolerance of high deviations in redistricting- I'm glad we don't allow unbearably high deviations (10%- egads!) like Canada.

Alas though the level of gerrymandering which isn't found anywhere else in the world (aside from pseudo-democracies like Singapore) more than cancels that out.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies