Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:21:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Author Topic: Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)  (Read 30157 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2014, 06:24:42 AM »

I'm interested if anything else opens up. Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2014, 09:51:20 AM »

I agree- Lumine and windjammer are is doing a great Job!

Seriously, I suck.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »

Noted, Butafly! I'll notify you as soon as there's a nation open, xD
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2014, 04:15:08 PM »

Nice to watch a war from a distance this time Tongue
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2014, 09:25:13 PM »

Dammit! Couldn't have waited?HuhHuh? :-P
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »

If anything defines this game, Clarence, is that the most unexpected things happen, xD

We have been playing for quite a short period of time and we already had a war in the Middle East, the assassinations of Wilhelm II and Teddy Roosevelt, a system of alliances more intricate than Bismarck's original version, a globar crusade against anarchism, several attempted genocides and an early Russo-Japanese war... And I still have quite a good amount of surprises left for the players!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2014, 09:50:09 AM »

Oh, my, seems like we might get World War One a few years early...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »

Oh, almost forgot Tongue

Rest in Pieces Lord Salisbury
Emperor of Tasmania
Honorary Citizen of the Ottoman Empire

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2014, 08:53:04 PM by True Federalist »

I'd like to point out that in OTL, the Trans-Siberian Railway was not yet complete by the time of our Russo-Japanese War, tho the Trans-Manchurian was complete and did give a rail connection to Vladivostok and via the Chinese Eastern Railway to Port Arthur.  However, the Trans-Siberian and its subsidiaries were single track lines with limited sidings and thus were a logistical choke point during the whole war.

Also, as long as we're on the subject of railroads, German and Russian railroads do not share a common gauge and thus until the lines are regauged to the attacker's gauge (a labor intensive process that takes lines out of service to trains of any gauge until completed) or given a third rail to allow trains of either gauge to use them, they will be of limited use to any attacker.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »

I'd liek to point out that in OTL, the Trans-Siberian Railway was not yet complete by the time of our Russo-Japanese War, tho the Trans-Manchurian was complete and did give a rail connection to Vladivostok and via the Chinese Eastern Railway to Port Arthur.  However, the Trans-Siberian and its subsidiaries were single track lines with limited sidings and thus were a logistical choke point during the whole war.

Also, as long as we're on the subject of railroads, German and Russian railroads do not share a common gauge and thus until the lines are regauged to the attacker's gauge (a labor intensive process that takes lines out of service to trains of any gauge until completed) or given a third rail to allow trains of either gauge to use them, they will be of limited use to any attacker.

Indeed, I have been researching the Russo-Japanese war for the past days and I was quite surprised at the weakness of the Trans-Siberian at that stage. I try to keep the game as accurate as possible, but I am bound to make mistakes and make some changes for the sake of the game being more amusing than some far more realistic. Thanks for the comment!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »

If there are peace talks, I propose an open thread rather than sending and responding to multiple PMs (with multiple adresses), which is rather annoying.

Sure sides can still communicate in a cloakroom.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2014, 04:03:31 PM »

If there are peace talks, I propose an open thread rather than sending and responding to multiple PMs (with multiple adresses), which is rather annoying.

Sure sides can still communicate in a cloakroom.

Indeed. In light of how many PM's I have now, and to make matters easier, I will open the Rome Conference.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2014, 08:04:19 PM »

Did the US already get the Danish Virgin Islands or is the US player more interested in a frozen wasteland than a tropical paradise?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »

Did the US already get the Danish Virgin Islands or is the US player more interested in a frozen wasteland than a tropical paradise?
Haven't gotten those yet....
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2014, 10:22:46 PM »

Technically this is only the "Great Eastern War", but I've been waiting for this since we started, xD
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2014, 12:42:39 AM »

Oh, for a hour of Washington in these dark times!  It was bad enough when McKinley sought to crucify our farmers and laborers upon a cross of gold, but now he seeks to crucify our young men upon a cross of steel.  And as if that were not cruel enough, he does not seek to do so because of any puffed-up insult to our great republic, but seeks to embroil us in a foreign war in the service of foreign princes and potentates!  Shall we meekly accept the vinegary wine of foreign submission that McKinley proffers us upon a soaked sponge as King, Kaiser, Kaliph, and Mikado cast lots for our cloak?  I say no and I devoutly pray that our Congress denies our war-mongering Princeling the Declaration of War he seeks!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2014, 12:52:48 AM »

Oh, for a hour of Washington in these dark times!  It was bad enough when McKinley sought to crucify our farmers and laborers upon a cross of gold, but now he seeks to crucify our young men upon a cross of steel.  And as if that were not cruel enough, he does not seek to do so because of any puffed-up insult to our great republic, but seeks to embroil us in a foreign war in the service of foreign princes and potentates!  Shall we meekly accept the vinegary wine of foreign submission that McKinley proffers us upon a soaked sponge as King, Kaiser, Kaliph, and Mikado cast lots for our cloak?  I say no and I devoutly pray that our Congress denies our war-mongering Princeling the Declaration of War he seeks!

I was going to say that Congress still has to declare war.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2014, 01:45:36 AM »

Speech from House Speaker Joseph Cannon

Our stature in the world is not merely a matter of pride... becoming a global leader brings us prosperity as well. Our prosperity in large part comes from our alliances... the USA must honor her alliances or other nations will see no value in our treaties, since we would have broken our word. If attacks against not just one- but THREE- of our allies go without a response- that is a direct attack on our national power and it would ruin our credibility and prestige

It also ensures that our allies will come to our aid if we are attacked- with the circumstances in which Russia initiated aggression against our allies they easily could have done so to us....We would expect our allies to come to our aid and it would ensure our security.

Now is NOT the time for this unpatriotic attitude... how dare the good gentleman blame our President for initiating our current conflict. How dare the gentleman not spend his time on the national stage praying for our troops and our nation? How dare that man promote conspiracies and incite hate against our nation in this time of war?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »

Our stature in the world is not merely a matter of pride... becoming a global leader brings us prosperity as well. Our prosperity in large part comes from our alliances... the USA must honor her alliances or other nations will see no value in our treaties, since we would have broken our word. If attacks against not just one- but THREE- of our allies go without a response- that is a direct attack on our national power and it would ruin our credibility and prestige

It also ensures that our allies will come to our aid if we are attacked- with the circumstances in which Russia initiated aggression against our allies they easily could have done so to us....We would expect our allies to come to our aid and it would ensure our security.

Now is NOT the time for this unpatriotic attitude... how dare the good gentleman blame our President for initiating our current conflict. How dare the gentleman not spend his time on the national stage praying for our troops and our nation? How dare that man promote conspiracies and incite hate against our nation in this time of war?

I do pray for our troops and our nation.  I pray that they be saved from bloodthirsty tyrants who care more for the ephemeral vainglory of this world than for the eternal glory of the God of love and righteousness.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »

I haTe russians
but I prey For them
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2014, 02:17:57 PM »

Oh, for a hour of Washington in these dark times!  It was bad enough when McKinley sought to crucify our farmers and laborers upon a cross of gold, but now he seeks to crucify our young men upon a cross of steel.  And as if that were not cruel enough, he does not seek to do so because of any puffed-up insult to our great republic, but seeks to embroil us in a foreign war in the service of foreign princes and potentates!  Shall we meekly accept the vinegary wine of foreign submission that McKinley proffers us upon a soaked sponge as King, Kaiser, Kaliph, and Mikado cast lots for our cloak?  I say no and I devoutly pray that our Congress denies our war-mongering Princeling the Declaration of War he seeks!

I do pray for our troops and our nation.  I pray that they be saved from bloodthirsty tyrants who care more for the ephemeral vainglory of this world than for the eternal glory of the God of love and righteousness.
That is why we are opposing Russia!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2014, 06:54:21 PM »

Is Vienna sleeping? Tongue
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2014, 08:51:12 PM »

It looks like Prince William now has two Kaisers to kowtow to since the Hapsburgs have joined the war.  I do hope he doesn't embarrass America too much by confusing Franz Ferdinand with Wilhelm.  I wonder if our pugilistic prince has decided who he'll be selling Greenland to once he gets it from Denmark.  At least when he does he won't be betraying those who fought with us by selling them off like an old-fashioned slave dealer. The selling will be the same, but the Eskimaux of Greenland haven't fought beside us as the Filipinos did.  Or maybe our posh potentate wants to buy all that snow and ice for himself.  It would be far better if he made made plans to retire as the Graf of Greenland than for him to break yet another of Washington's maxims and seek a third term.  Alas, I suspect Prince William will once again disregard the wise advice of the Father of Our Republic, just as he ignored that of keeping us free from entangling foreign alliances.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »

It looks like Prince William now has two Kaisers to kowtow to since the Hapsburgs have joined the war.  I do hope he doesn't embarrass America too much by confusing Franz Ferdinand with Wilhelm.  I wonder if our pugilistic prince has decided who he'll be selling Greenland to once he gets it from Denmark.  At least when he does he won't be betraying those who fought with us by selling them off like an old-fashioned slave dealer. The selling will be the same, but the Eskimaux of Greenland haven't fought beside us as the Filipinos did.  Or maybe our posh potentate wants to buy all that snow and ice for himself.  It would be far better if he made made plans to retire as the Graf of Greenland than for him to break yet another of Washington's maxims and seek a third term.  Alas, I suspect Prince William will once again disregard the wise advice of the Father of Our Republic, just as he ignored that of keeping us free from entangling foreign alliances.

wut
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2014, 09:06:23 PM »

I'm having fun providing anti-war commentary from the American home front concerning Prince William's War.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies