Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:30:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Author Topic: Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)  (Read 30111 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: June 19, 2014, 04:01:58 PM »

Well, I'm thinking maybe when this one ends, we can start a new one with a different time period then. I've just had so much fun playing this game I'd hate to see it end.

I'm willing to continue as Game moderator.

I don't want the game to end. And Ii understand Lumine wants to stop after the war Tongue.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #376 on: June 19, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »

Well, I'm thinking maybe when this one ends, we can start a new one with a different time period then. I've just had so much fun playing this game I'd hate to see it end.

1700! Smiley

Northern War and the War of the Spanish Succession!

Technically the War does signal an end to the Belle Epouqe Period.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #377 on: June 19, 2014, 04:04:22 PM »

How about starting one after the Russian Civil War/Mussolini taking power in Italy? The playable countries would be the USSR, the USA, Britain, France, Italy, Japan, and Germany.

(if we do that I totally call the Soviet Union Tongue)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #378 on: June 19, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »

How about starting one at the end of OTL's World War I?

I can't say I'm surprised Tongue.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #379 on: June 19, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »

How about starting one after the Russian Civil War/Mussolini taking power in Italy? The playable countries would be the USSR, the USA, Britain, France, Italy, Japan, and Germany.

Tempted to call USA..... not sure if I would want a similar or different challenges to play. Very interesting!
But this is a great crew and I hope all of us have a spot to play in the next one
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #380 on: June 19, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »

Well, I hope this game won't go away once the war is over. I understand we won't be still playing till the year of 2000, but it's still somehow too short.

If Lumine decided to end this game, he can maybe be persuaded to open a continuation later? Or maybe someone else would manage this?

I mean, we created such an ironic universe it would be a shame.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #381 on: June 19, 2014, 05:15:02 PM »

I wish to apologize in full for ever calling President McKinley a war-monger.  After having seen the actions of President Hay, I now see the true meaning of the word. Rather than being dragged into a war because we stood by our allies, President Hay has brought our country the shame of being the first to declare war in this latest fracas.  I can only hope that when the dust settles, the new stars added to our flag from the Dominions of Canada and Newfoundland will bring a much needed calm to our nation after years of Republican frenziness.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #382 on: June 19, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »

Ah, I was wondering when you show up, Ernest Smiley
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #383 on: June 19, 2014, 05:25:49 PM »

Welcome back,pal :-)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #384 on: June 19, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »

I'll take Italy again.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #385 on: June 19, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »

I'll take Italy again.

No place for me Sad
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #386 on: June 19, 2014, 06:35:31 PM »

I'll take Italy again.

No place for me Sad
After this timeline- the Ottomans will be a super power :-)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #387 on: June 19, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »

All the fun stuff happens when I'm on vacation Sad I need to find someone to declare war on.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #388 on: June 24, 2014, 10:04:42 PM »

everybody's wondering what's up with Austria-Hungary and Japan.
In the case of Austria-Hungary, there's the question of what could they possibly gain.  They're already in the middle of absorbing Ruthenia which they gained in the last war, and the ability they showed indicated they aren't exactly capable of doing much on their own militarily, tho that may have been due primarily to the leadership. Wink  Ethnically, the only area that would likely be a comfortable fit for them would be the German Catholic areas of the German Empire, and declaring war on Germany unless it is already losing makes zero sense.  In that case, the Habsburg Empire only needs to declare war in time to give the victorious Allies an excuse to transfer Bavaria to Austria.

The relative inaction of the Japanese is somewhat of a surprise.  I can understand the desire to avoid any major invasions until a clearer idea of the intentions of their enemies in the Asian theater and of the neutrals Russia and China, but I'd have thought they would have planned at least one major raid on Indochina, Sabah, Nauru, or New Caledonia.  The two former places are near to the Philippines and Nauru and New Caledonia both have vital war materials.  Especially, New Caledonia even tho it isn't in easy striking distance for the Japanese.  With the loss of Canada, New Caledonia is the only remaining known major source of nickle under Blue control.  (Nickel deposits in Africa that are under Blue control were not discovered in OTL until the 1920s and those in Australia weren't found until the 1960s.)  If the Blues lose New Caledonia, their ability to make quality machine tools and armor plate will be quite limited unless they have some strategic stockpiles in reserve.  The need to defend New Caledonia is likely to cause the Anglo-French alliance to concentrate its forces in the Pacific in the Central Pacific either in defense of Nauru or a preemptive offense to make even raiding it to disrupt the supply of nickel less likely.  The taking of Samoa was helpful, but the action in Hawaii is a waste of British resources in my opinion since it failed to take the islands as had been hoped.  Not that it was a bad idea.  Japan was late to the war and if the Hawaiian operation had succeeded, the British Navy in the Pacific would have been free to concentrate upon the Japanese possessions.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #389 on: June 24, 2014, 10:18:05 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2014, 01:27:44 PM by Iron King SJoyce »

Because we started the war while Phase One was already happening I don't think I send in moves until Phase Two. Rest assured we've got a lot planned.

Also, Nauru is under Japanese control - it was transferred to us from the Germans.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #390 on: June 24, 2014, 11:55:28 PM »

Do we start sending in our next turn's moves?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #391 on: June 24, 2014, 11:57:55 PM »

Yes, Spamage....I recommend capitulation ;-)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #392 on: June 25, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »

Can I be Ethiopia?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #393 on: June 25, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »

Guise, this war is stupid. Let's all make peace, allow Simfan to play as Ethiopia, then we all attack Ethiopia Smiley
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #394 on: June 25, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »

I'd say Lumine has made his choice, Germany has won some battles in the initial phase war of the war, which doesn't have to mean really much. There was no talk of France completely destroyed, a look on the map proves that I didn't even get out of Lorraine, I'm at most at the Champagne border!
And This is as unlikely as you say - remember 1871, when Germany easily got to Paris, without even a centralized army and without most of southern Germany? The French and German army were about even for about ever, otherwise there couldn't have existed such a long, equal rivalry, as the stronger power would have tried (successfully) to significantly weak the other. Plus that I retreaded a bit to the east wasn't entirely bad, too, as the German armies fought down the Vosges and there were not huge frontier fortifications as on the OTL border.
Germant managed to win in 1870 because Bismarck was a perfect bad ass and that France made a lot of mistakes.

Guys, could you stop with the RL arguments? Since he took over the United States, Clarence had been enlarging it's army and naval potential.
That"s not enough to consider that the USA is a major military power.

Guys, you make be good players, but in only 4 years, you can't make miracles.

Was you reaching St. Petersburg in a year and a half not a miracle?

That wasn't a miracle at all when Russia faced attacks from all side without any ally.
And, if you speak about St. Petesburg, I wouldn't have probably conquered the city, because Russians played too much defensive. That's why I wanted to make peace.

Yeah, it was. Terrain and weather would have even prevented the best of armies from taking over Russia in that short amount of time. 3 of course is possible, but not one and a half.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #395 on: June 25, 2014, 07:52:11 PM »

Do we start sending in our next war turn moves?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #396 on: June 25, 2014, 09:08:03 PM »

As you all know- I am a frank talker, so here we go....

Windjammer, pal- you are a good fellow, I like you, but your public criticisms of Lumine's decisions are total bullsh**t... You are his #2 and should not be undermining him publicly, first of all. Secondly- what else do we have to go by then what Lumine tells us is the reality? If we have to doubt his decisions,what point is there in continuing this game? I may be a genius businessman but in Monopoly if I get a few bad rolls, I am bankrupt. He runs this game his way- and the basic premise we accept to play it is that what he says goes, and I do not appreciate you casting doubt on that premise to ruin this game. I did not protest whenever I disagreed with his decisions even if they cast the USA in a bad light, and I would appreciate you not adding doubt to the game

Also.......as others have pointed out, my primary goal as the USA has been expanding our military might. I have strategically placed my forces across the world knowing this would be the goal........of course,this is "out of character', but I even sent the Wikipedia article of "War Plan Red" to Lumine at the start of the game to explain my overall strategy. War Plan Red was a pre-WWII war plan by the USA to defeat the British if we ended up opposing them in a conflict.....it is past the date in which this game is played, but it describes the strategy the USA would have taken. I have been planning for war with Britain since the start of this game....again, this is "out of character" but I believe this has already been guessed. My actions in the game have been taken accordingly, and I do not believe attacks on the USA's actions in the "real world" are relevant to what all of us have done in this alternate history
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #397 on: June 25, 2014, 09:52:50 PM »

As you all know- I am a frank talker, so here we go....

Windjammer, pal- you are a good fellow, I like you, but your public criticisms of Lumine's decisions are total bullsh**t... You are his #2 and should not be undermining him publicly, first of all. Secondly- what else do we have to go by then what Lumine tells us is the reality? If we have to doubt his decisions,what point is there in continuing this game? I may be a genius businessman but in Monopoly if I get a few bad rolls, I am bankrupt. He runs this game his way- and the basic premise we accept to play it is that what he says goes, and I do not appreciate you casting doubt on that premise to ruin this game. I did not protest whenever I disagreed with his decisions even if they cast the USA in a bad light, and I would appreciate you not adding doubt to the game

Also.......as others have pointed out, my primary goal as the USA has been expanding our military might. I have strategically placed my forces across the world knowing this would be the goal........of course,this is "out of character', but I even sent the Wikipedia article of "War Plan Red" to Lumine at the start of the game to explain my overall strategy. War Plan Red was a pre-WWII war plan by the USA to defeat the British if we ended up opposing them in a conflict.....it is past the date in which this game is played, but it describes the strategy the USA would have taken. I have been planning for war with Britain since the start of this game....again, this is "out of character" but I believe this has already been guessed. My actions in the game have been taken accordingly, and I do not believe attacks on the USA's actions in the "real world" are relevant to what all of us have done in this alternate history

Thanks for giving me your plan Smiley
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #398 on: June 25, 2014, 10:33:56 PM »

It's been being executed already.....the name wasn't announced,but you'll notice the strategy is similar. I dropped no bombshell here
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #399 on: June 26, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »

Anyway, considering a very quick and effective military buildup the United States has conducted after declaring war on Germany in 1917, I certainly see Clarence's even greater efforts since he took over the U.S. possible.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies