Something I will never understand about conservatives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:58:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Something I will never understand about conservatives
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Something I will never understand about conservatives  (Read 631 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2014, 06:17:38 PM »

Economic conservatives/classical liberals warn against planned economies because they claim it leads to shortages, lack of incentive, etc. But isn't capitalism basically just one giant shortage for the poor? If you can't afford the equilibrium price of something (the price where supply and demand are equal), then you do not get that item. This is especially horrifying in food, healthcare, and housing.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:06:20 PM »

I would consider myself a conservative with a few libertarian meanings.
Economics is where I have the most passion. I am a huge fan of Hazlitt, Bastiat, Friedman, etc.

What is the difference between being oppressed by the "evil" government and being oppressed by private, for-profit institutions that will NOT serve you unless you have deep pockets?
But isn't capitalism basically just one giant shortage for the poor? If you can't afford the equilibrium price of something (the price where supply and demand are equal), then you do not get that item. This is especially horrifying in food, healthcare, and housing.

Somebody changed their views quick.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:35:10 PM »

The view you describe is not unique to "conservative" economists. That price controls create shortages is a widely accepted truth of economics. The price mechanism will not provide goods to every single person, but distorting that mechanism by setting prices below the market equilibrium is only going to make things worse.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:38:15 PM »

Even without minimum wage protections or agriculture subsidies, an unskilled laborer could purchase a loaf of bread with about 20 minutes of labor. Clothing and water are also relatively cheap and abundant.

Human desire is unlimited so we will always deal with "scarcity", but that doesn't mean goods and services are actually scarce relative to our needs. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Citizens of the developed world are economically stagnant because they've ruined their real estate sectors. Shelter is a basic human necessity, but housig costs continue to drag down all classes of people, except the elites.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »

I still can't believe that after a shoot ton of Shootings, they are still "I MUH PROTECT MAH GUNS!", oh wait, they need to get NRA backing, ugh, sometimes I hate the American system.
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 09:07:18 AM »

Conservative economic policies are something I can sort of understand the logic behind considering I was a self-described libertarian at one point, but what really confuses the hell out of me is socons. I'm starting to think our brains are pretty much wired differently.
WillTheMormon
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 08:44:24 AM »

Economic conservatives/classical liberals warn against planned economies because they claim it leads to shortages, lack of incentive, etc. But isn't capitalism basically just one giant shortage for the poor? If you can't afford the equilibrium price of something (the price where supply and demand are equal), then you do not get that item. This is especially horrifying in food, healthcare, and housing.

Completely agree with you. Never understood fiscal conservatism myself either. The government can't ignore the poor. It's just common sense.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »

Completely agree with you. Never understood fiscal conservatism myself either. The government can't ignore the poor. It's just common sense.
How these are mutually exclusive, I will never understand.

Not to mention, that's more social policy.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »

I still can't believe that after a shoot ton of Shootings, they are still "I MUH PROTECT MAH GUNS!", oh wait, they need to get NRA backing, ugh, sometimes I hate the American system.

Yeah, damn democracy!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies