Should NASA's budget be increased?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:51:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should NASA's budget be increased?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Should NASA's budget be increased?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Should NASA's budget be increased?  (Read 5945 times)
Mordecai
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 12:17:10 PM »

Yes.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »

Give it 1/4th of the current military budget, plus what it already gets. We need to begin developing the technology for offworld settlement ASAP, especially if the most dire predictions about climate change follow through.

Abolish the military outright and triple NASA funds.

I'm the most liberal.

NO I AM!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 12:20:30 PM »

If anyone can justify why NASA should even exist, let alone have its budget doubled because MUH SPACE I'd be happy to listen.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 12:44:53 PM »

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 12:51:14 PM »

If anyone can justify why NASA should even exist, let alone have its budget doubled because MUH SPACE I'd be happy to listen.

Well, certainly there a lot of things we should answer and still need answers for. Questions like Is there Life beyond this planet? My belief is that those questions are more important than just sending little probes to Mars every couple odd years. We should be sending high level drills to Europa. NASA should be re-tooled to fit these new goals.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 02:24:30 PM »

The numerous innovations they create alone are enough to justify a funding increase in my view. Furthermore, I don't like the way you so casually dismiss space exploration as a way to get points among the cynical crowd as you hate on people who want to explore the universe and get answers. Would you have opposed the Homestead Act because of "MUH WEST"?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 02:27:56 PM »

The numerous innovations they create alone are enough to justify a funding increase in my view. Furthermore, I don't like the way you so casually dismiss space exploration as a way to get points among the cynical crowd as you hate on people who want to explore the universe and get answers. Would you have opposed the Homestead Act because of "MUH WEST"?

Right, but by that logic we should be praying for a third world war since plenty of side-innovations come out of that. Focusing on tangential possible benefits isn't convincing.

Starry-eyed (sorry) talk about "exploring the universe" or whatever isn't good justification for spending billions of dollars as far as I'm concerned - what are we exploring? Does it make a tangible difference to anyone's life if we know that there's a certain type of rock on the moon? Particularly when the private sector space industry is rapidly becoming a thing...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »

Right, but by that logic we should be praying for a third world war since plenty of side-innovations come out of that. Focusing on tangential possible benefits isn't convincing.

Please, Oak, you're better than this.

Starry-eyed (sorry) talk about "exploring the universe" or whatever isn't good justification for spending billions of dollars as far as I'm concerned - what are we exploring? Does it make a tangible difference to anyone's life if we know that there's a certain type of rock on the moon? Particularly when the private sector space industry is rapidly becoming a thing...

If we don't have stars in our eyes, then what will fill the void? Dust and dirt and the inexorable creep of the rising oceans? That new rock we find on the moon could power our civilization for decades to come as the human race spreads itself out among the stars. And billions of dollars is nothing to the United States budget, especially when it helps to increase our knowledge of the universe and our place in it - unlike you, I am a believer in the idea of knowledge for knowledge's sake, and that seems to be the point where we differ, going our separate ways as the cynical apathete and the idealistic (for idealism is what got us where we are today) dreamer. Without dreams, we wouldn't have anything to strive for.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 03:24:21 PM »

Markets don't handle R&D particularly well. Before government competence was murdered by implementing and expanding The Great Society, our government did R&D quite well.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 03:38:58 PM »

Markets don't handle R&D particularly well. Before government competence was murdered by implementing and expanding The Great Society, our government did R&D quite well.

Shut up about the Great Society, and stop capitalizing the "the". It's not The Great Gatsby set in 1965 and starring Lyndon Johnson, though I would pay good money for that.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 03:46:55 PM »

If we don't have stars in our eyes, then what will fill the void? Dust and dirt and the inexorable creep of the rising oceans? That new rock we find on the moon could power our civilization for decades to come as the human race spreads itself out among the stars. And billions of dollars is nothing to the United States budget, especially when it helps to increase our knowledge of the universe and our place in it - unlike you, I am a believer in the idea of knowledge for knowledge's sake, and that seems to be the point where we differ, going our separate ways as the cynical apathete and the idealistic (for idealism is what got us where we are today) dreamer. Without dreams, we wouldn't have anything to strive for.
In other words, you want the government to spend other peoples' money to fulfill your own (highly subjective) dreams and ideals about space?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 03:50:15 PM »

Can someone please fix the quote tags.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 04:03:02 PM »

Shut up about the Great Society, and stop capitalizing the "the". It's not The Great Gatsby set in 1965 and starring Lyndon Johnson, though I would pay good money for that.

Learn to handle criticism. The Great Society is a blanket that liberals cling to so they don't have to grow up. Modern economics affords The People much better options.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »

Learn to handle criticism. The Great Society is a blanket that liberals cling to so they don't have to grow up. Modern economics affords The People much better options.

Yes, Reaganomics have helped poor and average Americans so much over the past 30 years. Just look at the lack of jobs, financial meltdown, and other such problems.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 05:40:17 PM »

Only if we build space weapons and moon colonies. Otherwise, gut it.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »

Yes, Reaganomics have helped poor and average Americans so much over the past 30 years. Just look at the lack of jobs, financial meltdown, and other such problems.

Reaganomics? Where?

The only vestige of Reaganomics is low inflation. Everything else has been dismantled and discarded.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »

In other words, you want the government to spend other peoples' money to fulfill your own (highly subjective) dreams and ideals about space?

In some words, yes - the entirety of government is spending each other's money (or not) to fulfill our own highly subjective dreams and ideals about society. And I did mention the myriad innovations that come either directly from or by way of NASA, like freeze-dried food and cochlear implants.

Furthermore, AD, the moon landing came after the Great Society.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »

snip

In some words, yes - the entirety of government is spending each other's money (or not) to fulfill our own highly subjective dreams and ideals about society. And I did mention the myriad innovations that come either directly from or by way of NASA, like freeze-dried food and cochlear implants.

NASA doesn't justify its costs.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 09:28:09 PM »

snip

NASA doesn't justify its costs.

So who are you a sock of again?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »

Moon colonies are fools good. We should go straight to Mars, and there's a decent chance we will in the next 10 years. The question is will it be done haphazardly with no governmental oversight by corporations, or in a orderly fair manner by NASA and its foreign equivalents.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »

Moon colonies are fools good. We should go straight to Mars, and there's a decent chance we will in the next 10 years. The question is will it be done haphazardly with no governmental oversight by corporations, or in a orderly fair manner by NASA and its foreign equivalents.

Mars has long been uninhabitable, and that's a fact. Was inhabitable maybe millions, billions of years ago? Yes, but since then it's simply not going to work.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »

Mars has long been uninhabitable, and that's a fact. Was inhabitable maybe millions, billions of years ago? Yes, but since then it's simply not going to work.

Somebody said that it couldn’t be done
      But he with a chuckle replied
That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one
      Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
      On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
      That couldn’t be done, and he did it!

Somebody scoffed: “Oh, you’ll never do that;
      At least no one ever has done it;”
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat
      And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
      Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
      That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
      There are thousands to prophesy failure,
There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
      The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
      Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start in to sing as you tackle the thing
      That “cannot be done,” and you’ll do it.

- Edgar Albert Guest
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »

Well yes, it's going to take pressurized domes unless we manage to terraform it one day (which would take centuries), but that's doable.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 11:04:04 PM »

Mars has water, Luna does not. (At least not in an easily extractable form.)  Access to water, both for the liquid itself as well as both hydrogen and oxygen, is essential to any space colonization effort.  Indeed, it likelier is easier to colonize Europa than Luna despite the distance and temperature hurdles to be faced.  We already have the knowledge and technology needed to colonize Mars.  What we lack is the will and the money.

The optimum colonization strategy is not likely to take place even when the money and will are available.  Given the enormous costs of space transport, the colonists should all be fertile females along with frozen sperm and embryos.  Mars Needs Women.  It doesn't need men to colonize it.

Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »

Considering that the moon landing was this country's greatest achievement and the fact that funds could be transferred from a ridiculously bloated military budget, absolutely.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies