Majority of Americans Prefer Energy Conservation Over Production -Gallup
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:59:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Majority of Americans Prefer Energy Conservation Over Production -Gallup
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Majority of Americans Prefer Energy Conservation Over Production -Gallup  (Read 403 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2014, 12:08:12 AM »

Gallup poll finds majority favor energy conservation over production

By Laura Barron-Lopez
April 02, 2014, 03:49 pm

A majority prefer conservation of U.S. energy sources as opposed to production, according to a new Gallup poll.

The poll, released on Wednesday, found 57 percent say the United States should encourage conservation when tackling the country's energy problems and establishing a central policy, over pushing more production of oil, gas, and coal supplies. 

That's up from 51 percent in 2013.

On the other hand, roughly one-third say more emphasis should be placed on production of the nation's fossil fuel supply.

The poll contradicts the common refrain offered by Republicans that President Obama's goals to transition the nation to more climate-friendly energy sources is out of touch with the public.

Gallup also found 64 percent of those surveyed favor increasing development of alternative energy production like wind and solar power over further production of traditional fossil fuels, up from 59 percent last year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/202473-gallup-majority-favor-energy-conservation-over-production#ixzz2xnShjqwJ
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:48:14 AM »

I'm guessing that a large majority of that 57% doesn't actively engage in energy conservation.  If 57% think it should be encouraged (which I'd agree with), why not just do it?  This seems like another one of those polls where the majority of the people polled have no idea what the details of the issues actually are, and they've gone with what they think is popular in the media.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 11:28:16 PM »

well, energy conservation has been enacted via legislation such ashigher mpg standards for cars and trucks, the phasing out of incandescent bulbs, and also tax credits for renewable energy.   All of which are broadly popular except for places like South Carolina or West Virginia or Wyoming.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 11:51:58 PM »

To be fair the problems solar has had in South Carolina have been more about our electric utilities disliking any form of small local power generation not under their control than it has been about a dislike of renewable energy.

We have a solar power bill going thru our General Assembly right now that will make it easier for people who want solar power to have it.  However, the main national solar power groups hate the bill because it is written in a manner that stacks the deck in favor of the established utilities providing the systems instead of the upstart solar power leasing companies.  Local groups still favor the bill.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/04/02/3363122/critics-say-solar-billshines-first.html
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:53:35 PM »

To be fair the problems solar has had in South Carolina have been more about our electric utilities disliking any form of small local power generation not under their control than it has been about a dislike of renewable energy.

We have a solar power bill going thru our General Assembly right now that will make it easier for people who want solar power to have it.  However, the main national solar power groups hate the bill because it is written in a manner that stacks the deck in favor of the established utilities providing the systems instead of the upstart solar power leasing companies.  Local groups still favor the bill.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/04/02/3363122/critics-say-solar-billshines-first.html

Too lazy to look up a link, but I recall the SC lege throwing a hissy fit over the phasing out of the incandescent bulb.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:25 AM »

Whatever that means...
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 12:24:57 AM »

Too lazy to look up a link, but I recall the SC lege throwing a hissy fit over the phasing out of the incandescent bulb.

I think that was just a legislator rather than the whole GA.  However, that same mentality is why you won't be seeing any sort of mandate that SC utilities get a certain percentage of their power from renewables.  The bill I mentioned merely removes some impediments that actively discouraged people from using renewable power rather than providing incentives for using them.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »

http://www.thestate.com/2012/10/02/2464944/100-watt-bulbs-phased-out.html

Congress outlawed manufacture of the 100-watt incandescents in 2007 in a bid to improve energy efficiency in the lighting business. The legislation, which was signed into law by former President George W. Bush, has since come to represent, for some, the long arm of government over-extending itself into consumers’ affairs.

In reaction, South Carolina this year passed its own law regulating production of the 100-watt-ers, dubbed The Light Bulb Freedom of Choice Act, making it legal to produce and sell the bulbs in South Carolina, as a function of intrastate commerce.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 12:59:47 AM »

Be that as it may, I don't see the 100-watters in the stores here.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 07:02:11 AM »

I'm guessing that a large majority of that 57% doesn't actively engage in energy conservation.  If 57% think it should be encouraged (which I'd agree with), why not just do it?  This seems like another one of those polls where the majority of the people polled have no idea what the details of the issues actually are, and they've gone with what they think is popular in the media.

What do you suggest they do, get solar panels for their house? Do you know how much that costs, along with the installation? Not to mention the people who support energy conservation but are living in apartments, how do you expect them to "just do it"? It sucks but if people are going to start seriously using alternate energy sources, they need incentives from the government in the form of tax breaks and subsidies.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 08:04:58 AM »

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »

What we might try in New York is shutting down our main downstate powerplant.  That's going to force people to conserve by using rolling blackouts and increasing brownouts on summer days.  I think that type of conservation may cause a backlash though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies