Opinion of these charts ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:03:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of these charts ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of these charts ...  (Read 2516 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:40:34 AM »

Figure 1. Percentage of births occurring out-of-hospital: United States, 1990–2012

Figure 2. Percentage of births occurring out-of-hospital, by race and Hispanic origin of mother: United States, 1990–2012

Figure 3. Percentage of births occurring out-of-hospital, by state: United States, 2012

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db144.htm

What's up with the NW and PA ?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:00:41 AM »

I wouldn't do it or recommend it, but if it's an uncomplicated pregnancy, I don't really see a problem with it either.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:30:27 AM »

Terrible trends depicted here.

White people need to get their stuff together...
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »

ugh, white people
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »

Believe it or not, hospitals aren't always desirable.  Being able to give birth at home means the mother can be in a familiar environment at a stressful time, and you don't have the risk of picking up a hospital infection.  (You do have a higher risk of infection in the home setting, but it is far less likely to be a multi-drug resistant bug than you'd find in a hospital.)

Heck, my mother had her tonsils taken out as a kid at home and was none-the-worse for it.  Of course, that could never happen today.  When's the last time you heard of a doctor making a housecall?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 07:26:18 PM »

The Democrats are so acting so wierd.

It's pretty obvious for me and to most people than birthhouses and midwifes are better for the pregnant woman and the kid, because it's done in a relaxing and permit to reduce hospitalisation, if the pregnancy doesn't have risks.

Most Western countries are moving in that direction.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 07:37:52 PM »

Doesn't it cost a fortune to give birth in a US hospital? I wouldn't want to do it either.  I'd probably still be in debt for the birth of our daughter if we were in the US.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 08:14:16 PM »

I believe this is concentrated among hippy types and among Amish/Mennonites.

There is also considerable variation in state licensing of midwives for home birth. Ohio was a potential counterexample to my Amish theory, but a quick Google search suggests that the state has essentially no midwife licensing and is perceived as very home-birth unfriendly. So the rate outside Holmes county and surroundings is likely very low.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »

Having a baby outside of a hospital is a really bad idea, since complications can spring up all of a sudden and unexpectedly.  My mom has a friend who tried one of those "home births" with a midwife and there was some kind of sudden emergency and the baby died.  Had it been born in a hospital with doctors and modern medical equipment, it wouldn't have been an issue.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 11:52:31 PM »

I was going to blame it all on hipters, but PA may be related to the Amish (though I thought Ohio had a pretty hefty Amish population too) and it seems that Mormons may be into this too.  A county map would have been helpful.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 12:52:07 AM »

Conservatives want to regulate baby-killing to death (pun?) but don't seem to care that women who actually do want to give birth to a living baby are senselessly putting new lives at risk by giving birth in at home without immediate access to hospital facilities.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 04:13:58 PM »

Conservatives want to regulate baby-killing to death (pun?) but don't seem to care that women who actually do want to give birth to a living baby are senselessly putting new lives at risk by giving birth in at home without immediate access to hospital facilities.

Why do you associate home-birth with conservatives? In IL it is often the reverse, though party lines can be quite blurred on the issue.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »

I don't care. It's perfectly safe if the proper precautions are taken.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 07:34:55 PM »

Doesn't it cost a fortune to give birth in a US hospital?

It's typically $10-20k. And they'll do their best to turn you out as quickly as possible.

Dear lord. That would've been most of my salary when my daughter was born. How does your country even function?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »

Doesn't it cost a fortune to give birth in a US hospital?

It's typically $10-20k. And they'll do their best to turn you out as quickly as possible.

Dear lord. That would've been most of my salary when my daughter was born. How does your country even function?

Well most people have insurance (more than last year thanks to Obamacare), and (also thanks to Obamacare) maternity is always a covered benefit, so it's gotten better lately.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 01:43:30 AM »

I'd attribute it to high costs with a stay in hospital and certain airy fairy holistic or religious ideals some people have. My sister wanted to have her first birth at home and had some complications - luckily it turned out alright. After that she's given birth in hospitals. This was in Ohio, by the way. I'll never forget the midwives sitting calmly in the living room afterwards and asking us if we'd like to see the placenta. She proceded to lightly wiggle it back and forth between her hands. Yes. Hard to forget that. Luckily they didn't decide to toss it into a blender and drink it to become "closer to the baby" (people actually do this).

Anyway, it's pretty negligible. We all look at the graphs and go "oh my!" at the trend line but when you look at the percentages, some 98% of births are in hospitals. It's fringe. A more interesting graph would be C-sections vs. natural births (sorry this only goes to 2007).

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 10:15:33 PM »

Yeah, hospitals do a whole lot of unnecessary cesareans. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 10:38:26 PM »

Where's the chart for infant mortality rate?  And what is the infant mortality rate for hospital birth compared to non-hospital births?  Our opinion of these charts is largely going to be arbitrarily based on assumptions if you don't provide those.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 12:04:31 AM »

Considering how some areas, like DC, have infant mortality rates the level of third world countries, the trend is unsurprising.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 08:20:56 AM »

Considering how some areas, like DC, have infant mortality rates the level of third world countries, the trend is unsurprising.

DC is fairly high for the US, but in 2010, the latest year I was able to find that sort of information for all states, Mississippi and Alabama had even higher rates and DC has managed to bring its rate down since 2010.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/INFANT_MORTALITY_RATES_STATE_2010.pdf

http://mayor.dc.gov/release/mayor-vincent-c-gray-and-dc-department-health-announce-continued-decrease-district%E2%80%99s-infant

It is odd that you'd pick DC to be your poster child for infant mortality.  While there are exceptions of course, infant mortality doesn't appear to be concentrated in urban (or rural) areas.  If one were to make a generalization from the data, it tends to be higher in red states like Alabama, Indiana, and Wyoming and lower in blue states like Vermont, New York, and California.  (Tho the state with the lowest rate is Alaska.)
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »

It's like that raw milk thing and organic food. People forget what it was like before you delivered babies at hospitals, before pasteurization and before genetic modification and pesticides. Sh[Inks]y, that's what it was.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 03:28:14 PM »

Where's the chart for infant mortality rate?  And what is the infant mortality rate for hospital birth compared to non-hospital births?  Our opinion of these charts is largely going to be arbitrarily based on assumptions if you don't provide those.
How about rather tahn running around telling people what they're doing wrong, you find the information you seek and present it?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 05:56:23 PM »

How about rather tahn running around telling people what they're doing wrong, you find the information you seek and present it?

I searched for about 20 minutes and didn't find anything relevant, hence why I asked.

The better thing would be to post them from the beginning or not post this thread in such a way that forces people to rely on their stereotypes and assumptions about non-hospital births.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies