David Letterman retiring in 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:12:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  David Letterman retiring in 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: David Letterman retiring in 2015  (Read 2261 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 07:04:37 PM »

I'm sure Colbert's CBS or whatever network's top choice, but I don't buy this rumor for a second (remember how Stewart was supposedly one of CBS's top choices to replace Dan Rather Roll Eyes ).  But I hope you guys realize he'd just become another hyper-censored, humorless has-been TV hack who only makes safe jokes for old people like Leno, Fallon, Letterman, etc.  CBS/ABC/NBC wouldn't offer even a sliver of the creative freedom Comedy Central offers.  If Stewart or Colbert ever move to one of those networks, anyone who hates them should uncork the champaign, because whichever one of them went to CBS/ABC/NBC will have lost all influence and come to be seen as sell-outs by most of their audience in a year or two (at most).  Stewart and Colbert have their niche on comedy central and would never be allowed to anything remotely like it on one of these creative wasteland networks.  The best person who fits in the Leno/Letterman old-people niche is Craig Ferguson (who is decent enough at what he does), but no program on CBS/ABC/NBC will even be allowed to swear, let alone do anything even remotely edgy.

Fallon is younger skewing believe it or not. Also Ferguson is younger skewing as well despite his age. I think "older people" now don't matter to TV because advertisers now just want Gen Yers, and Letterman has been the older generation's last late night holdout. So any new late night host has to appeal to today's teens, 20-somethings, and 30-somethings.

I agree Craig Ferguson skews younger and that's why he'd be the best pick to replace Letterman.  Perhaps Fallon skews a little younger, but his jokes are still incredibly "safe" in terms of the jokes he makes on his show.  My point is that you can't do anything remotely resembling what Colbert and Stewart are known for on CBS, ABC, or NBC.

Bill Maher managed to move Politically Incorrect from Comedy Central to ABC for a five year run before declining ratings sent him back to cable.  Craig Kilborn was the original host of The Daily Show and then spent five years as the host of The Late Late Show after Letterman.  So the idea that they couldn't make the transition to broadcast is silly.  Where Colbert and Stewart would run into trouble is in making the transition from half-hour to hour, especially with the added half-hour being standard talk show interviews.  That's why if Colbert were to make the transition, dropping the persona and being himself would be the wise thing to do, tho it might flop.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »

I'm sure Colbert's CBS or whatever network's top choice, but I don't buy this rumor for a second (remember how Stewart was supposedly one of CBS's top choices to replace Dan Rather Roll Eyes ).  But I hope you guys realize he'd just become another hyper-censored, humorless has-been TV hack who only makes safe jokes for old people like Leno, Fallon, Letterman, etc.  CBS/ABC/NBC wouldn't offer even a sliver of the creative freedom Comedy Central offers.  If Stewart or Colbert ever move to one of those networks, anyone who hates them should uncork the champaign, because whichever one of them went to CBS/ABC/NBC will have lost all influence and come to be seen as sell-outs by most of their audience in a year or two (at most).  Stewart and Colbert have their niche on comedy central and would never be allowed to anything remotely like it on one of these creative wasteland networks.  The best person who fits in the Leno/Letterman old-people niche is Craig Ferguson (who is decent enough at what he does), but no program on CBS/ABC/NBC will even be allowed to swear, let alone do anything even remotely edgy.

Fallon is younger skewing believe it or not. Also Ferguson is younger skewing as well despite his age. I think "older people" now don't matter to TV because advertisers now just want Gen Yers, and Letterman has been the older generation's last late night holdout. So any new late night host has to appeal to today's teens, 20-somethings, and 30-somethings.

I agree Craig Ferguson skews younger and that's why he'd be the best pick to replace Letterman.  Perhaps Fallon skews a little younger, but his jokes are still incredibly "safe" in terms of the jokes he makes on his show.  My point is that you can't do anything remotely resembling what Colbert and Stewart are known for on CBS, ABC, or NBC.

Bill Maher managed to move Politically Incorrect from Comedy Central to ABC for a five year run before declining ratings sent him back to cable.  Craig Kilborn was the original host of The Daily Show and then spent five years as the host of The Late Late Show after Letterman.  So the idea that they couldn't make the transition to broadcast is silly.  Where Colbert and Stewart would run into trouble is in making the transition from half-hour to hour, especially with the added half-hour being standard talk show interviews.  That's why if Colbert were to make the transition, dropping the persona and being himself would be the wise thing to do, tho it might flop.

Bill Maher is on HBO now and he got fired from ABC because something he said was considered too controversial, not because of ratings.  Craig Kilborn's Daily Show wasn't that much like Stewart's and Colbert's shows, those two would have a much harder time than most making the transition.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:41 PM »

Bill Maher is on HBO now and he got fired from ABC because something he said was considered too controversial, not because of ratings.
That likely contributed to his ratings slump, but like it or not, it was the ratings that got him fired.  Any of the broadcast networks is willing to put up with controversy, if they can make money off of it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 09:40:20 PM »

Bill Maher is on HBO now and he got fired from ABC because something he said was considered too controversial, not because of ratings.
That likely contributed to his ratings slump, but like it or not, it was the ratings that got him fired.  Any of the broadcast networks is willing to put up with controversy, if they can make money off of it.

Fair enough
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 05:27:20 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2014, 05:29:51 AM by Former Moderate »

First of all, let's get something straight. Late Night was created as an incredibly edgy show -- a highly creative, absurdist piece of television. It was created for a 12:30AM slot, and Letterman (correctly) figured that the network would let him do anything in that slot so long as it got ratings. He exploited the hell out of his freedom, and created a legacy by doing so.

Yeah, maybe time has taken its toll. Letterman doesn't seem edgy anymore because he's been doing the same thing for 30 years. That's understandable. But still, you have to admit that Late Night Late Show is historically a far different and more politically aggressive show than the everyman's Tonight Show.

I mean, come on -- watch this clip where he goes on a brutal rant against fracking. Seriously. This is what Letterman's been doing on CBS.

Colbert would fit in perfectly at Late Night.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 11:30:19 AM »

It's official

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/stephen-colbert-named-letterman-replacement-160100374.html
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »

Bye bye Colbert Reoport
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 12:27:49 PM »

Good for Colbert. Did people expect him to keep doing the act forever?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »

Yes.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »

Act?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 02:10:16 PM »

RIP Colbert
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »

I like Colbert but I am in the camp of Ferguson replacing Letterman. What a big blow to us who wanted that.

Also Ferguson might be happy, since he'll get a lot of money: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/david-letterman-retirement-net-craig-ferguson-8m-12m-article-1.1746070

But really I think he'd disappointed deep down, and I believe he's likely to leave when Letterman leaves. Heck there's even rumors of Chelsea Handler replacing Ferguson if that were to happen. If I could talk Ferguson right now I would tell him to leave CBS and head for Comedy Central.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 08:16:02 PM »

I'm sure Colbert's CBS or whatever network's top choice, but I don't buy this rumor for a second (remember how Stewart was supposedly one of CBS's top choices to replace Dan Rather Roll Eyes ).  But I hope you guys realize he'd just become another hyper-censored, humorless has-been TV hack who only makes safe jokes for old people like Leno, Fallon, Letterman, etc.  CBS/ABC/NBC wouldn't offer even a sliver of the creative freedom Comedy Central offers.  If Stewart or Colbert ever move to one of those networks, anyone who hates them should uncork the champaign, because whichever one of them went to CBS/ABC/NBC will have lost all influence and come to be seen as sell-outs by most of their audience in a year or two (at most).  Stewart and Colbert have their niche on comedy central and would never be allowed to anything remotely like it on one of these creative wasteland networks.  The best person who fits in the Leno/Letterman old-people niche is Craig Ferguson (who is decent enough at what he does), but no program on CBS/ABC/NBC will even be allowed to swear, let alone do anything even remotely edgy.

First of all, let's get something straight. Late Night was created as an incredibly edgy show -- a highly creative, absurdist piece of television. It was created for a 12:30AM slot, and Letterman (correctly) figured that the network would let him do anything in that slot so long as it got ratings. He exploited the hell out of his freedom, and created a legacy by doing so.

Yeah, maybe time has taken its toll. Letterman doesn't seem edgy anymore because he's been doing the same thing for 30 years. That's understandable. But still, you have to admit that Late Night Late Show is historically a far different and more politically aggressive show than the everyman's Tonight Show.

I mean, come on -- watch this clip where he goes on a brutal rant against fracking. Seriously. This is what Letterman's been doing on CBS.

Colbert would fit in perfectly at Late Night.

Thank you. Letterman and his writers at Late Night were amazing. And he's still capable of breaking out his brilliance once in a while. Huge shoes to fill but Colbert is a great choice.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies