Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:13:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38
Author Topic: Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over  (Read 71445 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: June 21, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »

The problem with British attitude is that they don't understand a possibility of defeat, like it doesn't exist. The mere fact they were able to win on previous occasions, doesn't automatically guarantee a victory this time. Napoleon is dead, but so is the Duke of Wellington. If anything, confident in illusions of their magnificent past transcending into the present, the British let their shape go considerably down.

The Prime Minister had called our army "outdated". I wish to point out that, during past years, we put a very strong efforts in modernizing our military, while I don't recall similar efforts made by the British. If anything, they are outdated, drowning in their part, badly overextended around the world and reluctant to improve, while the Ottomans, Americans, Germans and Japanese worked hard.

Clearly, the time has come for rise of a modern powers. Or rebirth of an old powers, that understood a need to embrace modernity, like we did.

The possibility of defeat is very real, and we understand this, after all we were the ones attacked for no reason.

Anyone saying that the Ottoman military is more advanced than that of the British Empire is either joking or crazy, spending a few years worth of money on your military doesn't make it modern. After all, I've been privately researching new weapons that this war shall allow me to unleash. Also "worked hard" is not a sufficient explanation for the efforts of other powers of improving their military. All they've been doing to improve their military is going to war against other countries. Sure, I did the same, but I was also focusing on increasing the size and skill level of the British armed forces.

Remember this, this is 1905, not 1917, not 1939. Britain is still the number one power in the world by population, land size, and the amount of "modernization" (after all we invented the modern world). The Ottomans here are even weaker than the Ottomans OTL, they lost a major war and land was taken from them, not to mention the ethnic groups which are itching to throw off the Sultan who had is own brother murdered during our previous war.

It's hilarious the Ottomans have the audacity to criticize our efforts in the Sahara, where I recall they were even more unable to deal with the situation than us, Turkestan where we were cut off by the hardest region in the world to conquer.

Good day sir!

(This arguing is strangely amusing Smiley )

I fear the Prime Minister is overestimating factors such as past number of war won, extend of territory etc. While it looks good on the record, it doesn't necessarily translate on actual advantage. As I recall, the United Kingdom has faced a considerable logistical strain during the Second Great Turkish War, a clear sign of overexstension. Meanwhile, we've learned our lessor about overextending and, somewhat ironically, the Ottoman Empire benefited a lot from, for example, not having to waste our resources and efforts in the Balkans anymore.

The Prime Minister is also not remembering correctly the events of our most recent wars. Certainly, it's nothing shameful is standing alone against three major powers. If anything, our surprisingly strong performance has proven news about our demise were greatly exaggerated. We choose to make an early peace in order to focus on reforms in peace, not because we weren't able to stand our ground, so no one can for sure predict what an ultimate outcome would have been.

Certainly we do not consider the British military impotent, but you haven't put as much efforts to modernize it, as did the United States, Germany, Japan or us. The best testimony shall be the Boer War, which you have won only by restoring to such means as putting every Boer you've seen behind a barbed wire. And it was after years of humiliation from the hands of poor equipped farmers.

As of Africa, I just like to point out that we had no problems with controlling Libya, something mighty Britain and France are unable to do to this day.

Yes, we consider the British Empire a mighty and difficult enemy, but we will not kid ourselves: we face our problems, but so do you. Problems with maintaining order in colonies from Afghanistan to Africa, overextension, logistical strain and too few efforts to modernize. So let's not call us "outdated" too quickly Wink

(OOC: Oh yes, I love that part Smiley )
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #901 on: June 24, 2014, 09:19:14 PM »

I would like to point out that the terrorism in France by the Americans against French railways makes me wonder if they were truly behind the attacks in Russia. After all, America seems to have experience bombing railroads by the looks of it. And blowing up royal palaces too. Angry
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #902 on: June 24, 2014, 09:39:30 PM »

We made no attempt to disguise our efforts to strike at our enemies' transportation networks and command centers, which is what a royal palace is for a nation like Britain in which their people are still forced to bow simply because some rotten-tooth teabag won the lottery at birth. We do this because we are at war with those old, tired, crumbling nations.

We did not do so in Russia- we had signed peace with them beforehand and we have proven that we honor our agreements and when we feel we will be able to no longer, we inform them, supported by the fact that we publicly voided our treaty with Britain before the war. We had made a peace agreement and we honored it, and we- my allies and I- have since made another agreement signifying the peace and friendship that exists currently between our nations and the Russian Empire....demonstrated by my having place under the Tsar's command an American brigade for his Turkestan campaign
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #903 on: June 24, 2014, 09:51:56 PM »

We made no attempt to disguise our efforts to strike at our enemies' transportation networks and command centers, which is what a royal palace is for a nation like Britain in which their people are still forced to bow simply because some rotten-tooth teabag won the lottery at birth. We do this because we are at war with those old, tired, crumbling nations.

Yes because I'm sure you'd be reasonable if we were to blow up the White House and kill you good sir. After all, all you are is an up-jumped secretary who won the election through voter fraud, intimidation, and corruption. 

Britain has survived the Vikings, the Romans, the Hapsburgs, Napoleon, among many others, America is no different. We outlasted them all and we shall outlast the United States. Our history is a rich one, while yours is full of racism, genocide, and relies heavily on innovations from Europe (most of which were passed along illegally).
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #904 on: June 24, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »

I deny your absurd propaganda- but would point out that if we ever were guilty of your accusations of racism and genocide, we would have only done as our mother nation had taught us
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #905 on: June 24, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »

I deny your absurd propaganda- but would point out that if we ever were guilty of your accusations of racism and genocide, we would have only done as our mother nation had taught us

Roll Eyes

Britain did not teach you to massacre natives, to keep slavery for far too long, to take the land of other nations illegally. Nay, you developed these terrible habits on your own.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #906 on: June 24, 2014, 11:47:13 PM »

Britain has never massacred natives, held slaves, or taken the land of other nations?

This memory lapse only makes me wonder if I am dealing with a sane man in Mr. Balfour....
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #907 on: June 24, 2014, 11:53:42 PM »

Britain has never massacred natives, held slaves, or taken the land of other nations?

This memory lapse only makes me wonder if I am dealing with a sane man in Mr. Balfour....

Britain was trying to end hostilities with the natives up until the Revolutionary War, but the Americans decided to take the land regardless and doom thousands of people to death.

Sure there was slavery in Britain, but it's been gone for many years. How long ago did your country abolish slavery again?

We took the land of other nations through legal means. We did not however, declare all our treaties void before occupying an entire country, as you have done within the past few months.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #908 on: June 24, 2014, 11:59:33 PM »

1- Our land was not the only ones you colonized....tell the Africans, Arabs, and Indians you rule that you have never committed genocide on their land. Boer War, any one HuhHuh?

2- Who introduced the slave trade to my land? You! who practiced it for centuries before we did? YOU!

3- If by legal, you mean conquest, then I even question the English knowledge of the English language!
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #909 on: June 25, 2014, 12:02:10 AM »

2- Who introduced the slave trade to my land? You! who practiced it for centuries before we did? YOU!

Tsk, tsk.

As the President of the United States, you ought to know that wrongs committed for hundreds of years doesn't make them right. We ended slavery and realized how wrong it was long ago, you only recently decided to and at the expense of tens of thousands of lives.

Your appeal to tradition is disappointing to all of London.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #910 on: June 25, 2014, 12:21:14 AM »

Perhaps you would realize that I spent the Civil War aiding the man who freed the slaves.... I was there when he signed the Emancipation Proclamation...I was there for him to hear the results of each battle.....I know what happened, and I know what side of history I was on
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #911 on: June 25, 2014, 12:22:47 AM »

Perhaps you would realize that I spent the Civil War aiding the man who freed the slaves.... I was there when he signed the Emancipation Proclamation...I was there for him to hear the results of each battle.....I know what happened, and I know what side of history I was on

The slow side, that's for sure.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #912 on: June 25, 2014, 12:23:58 AM »

Perhaps you could have not set up our economy initially to have half our states reliant on slave labor.....that was a system you put in place, sot hat we could grow you cotton and tobacco for you Brits to either consume yourselves or sell for a high profit off the hard work of the slaves you brought to us
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #913 on: June 25, 2014, 06:07:11 AM »

We can talk about history all we want, but the enthusiastic welcome the Ottoman troops have received from the people of Palestine (which the British claimed they "liberated") speaks volumes about rotten nature of John Bull's imperialism.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #914 on: June 25, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »

We can talk about history all we want, but the enthusiastic welcome the Ottoman troops have received from the people of Palestine (which the British claimed they "liberated") speaks volumes about rotten nature of John Bull's imperialism.

Yes, and the people of Iraq have assisted us, yearning for independence from the antique Ottomans. Roll Eyes
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #915 on: June 25, 2014, 09:38:41 AM »

Yes, and the people of Iraq have assisted us, yearning for independence from the antique Ottomans. Roll Eyes

I'm going to blame your Indian troops for our temporary unconviniences Wink
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #916 on: June 28, 2014, 02:18:27 AM »

Italy hereby announces the re-annexation of the Contea de Nizza into the Kingdom. Prime Minister Doumerge himself has admitted that "all previous arrangements between France and Italy are hereby cancelled", and we view this to include our Treaty of Turin.

Garibaldi, you can rest in peace knowing that your home is Italian again.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #917 on: June 28, 2014, 05:55:24 AM »

We wish to congratulate our American, German, Italian and Japanese friends on their amazing performance so far. Also, we welcome Brazil and Argentina on the right side of history.

With an ill-advised Portuguese entry into the war upon orders from their British masters, we declare the state of war exists between the Ottoman Empire and the Kingdom of Portugal.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #918 on: June 28, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »

I'll do it.

If I have to be someone I'll be von Schlieffen.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #919 on: June 28, 2014, 08:24:29 AM »

I'll do it.

If I have to be someone I'll be von Schlieffen.

Great, thanks Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #920 on: June 28, 2014, 08:34:09 AM »

Well, since Lumine asked me to post the reforms. Here we go:

AHU reforms :
I)   Austria, Hungary and Ukraine

-Red : Austria
-Green : Hungary
-Black : Bosnia Herzegovine. The son of Sultan Abdul shall be appointed as Duke. This territory shall be fully integrated into AH. This territory shall be considered as an Austrian and as a Hungaryan territory.
-Ukraine: Territories that Snowstalker lost.

II)   AHU’s subdivisions

a)   Austria
Austria’s subdivisions:
-Galicia (East and West Galicia)
- Bohemia
-German Austria
-Carniola
-Trentino

b)   Hungary
Hungary’s subdivisions:
-   Hungary
-   Transsylvania
-   Slovakia
-   Croatia
c)   Both Hungary and Austria: Bosnia Herzegovine
d)   Ukraine

Ukraine’s subdivision:
-   Volhynia
-   Podolia
-   Yedisan
-   Taurida
-   Zaporozha
-   Maeotida

III)   Politics
-   Voting rights shall be extended to all males who aren’t criminals, are AHU citizens and are at least 24 years old.
-   Every 4 years, they shall vote 3 times.
a)   The Imperial legislature
-   A legislature representing the complete AHU: 600 members (200 from the total Hungary, 200 from the totalAustria, 200 from Ukraine)
-   OCC: they shall have globally the same powers than the United states congress: foreign policy, army, trade, federal budget.
-   Austrians and Hungarians shall initially help Ukraine to vote and to organize the elections because they have never voted before.

b)   The  Hungaryan, the Austrian, the Ukrainian legislatures
The Ukrainian, the Hungarian and the Austrian legislatures:
-150 for each chamber
-Role: they will have globally the same power than the states in the USA (they have have their own budget,…): A-U-T-O-N-O-M-Y
- And once again, Austrians and Hungaryans will initially help Ukrainians.

c)   The local legislatures
-50 for each chamber
- A limited autonomy I guess: there was a compromise between Croatia and Hungary in 1868 this compromise will be extended to all the subdivision. And this time, this compromise will be respected. Their main role will be to be sure minorities are listened, they can have their own language.

The oldest son of Abdul is appointed as the honorific position of Duke of Bosnia Herzegovia. The first AH Duke that is Muslim. This is a proof that every Muslim, every religious minority will now be respected in AHU.

Well,

Good luck to all of you.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #921 on: June 28, 2014, 10:18:37 AM »

Looks good to me. I think I might own Istria but that's just a minor gripe I guess.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #922 on: June 28, 2014, 11:29:36 AM »

Just to remember, Crimea (without Sevastopol, which, of course, remains Russian) is under a temporary joint Austrian-Ottoman administration and will become an autonomous country within the Ottoman Empire.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #923 on: June 29, 2014, 02:42:10 PM »

I would also like to announce that I am picking up command of Germany until Cranberry gets back from his holiday. Feel free to address me as Feldmarschall von Schlieffen.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #924 on: June 30, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2014, 06:48:44 PM by Senator Lumine »

End of Early 1905:

Looks like the war wasn't over after all. With the growing tensions between former allies and the terrible terrorist attacks in Russia and the disaster of Mecca, was seemed unavoidable, and what was called the "World War", begun, already claiming thousands of lives. Many had entered the new century expecting peace, progress and tranquility, and they had found nothing but war, war against thr Turks, against the Russians, and now against everybody. With the balance shifting at every second there was no dominant alliance yet, but somebody would eventually emerge as the winner, even if it means ruling nothing but ashes.

Alliances, Wars and Popularity:

-Ongoing Wars:

-World War:
  -See Phases One and Two.

-Senoussi War:
  -Relative rebel control of the desert, British and French control of the Libyan coastline.

-Third Afghan War:
  -Full rebel control of Afghanistan.

-Invasion of Morocco:
  -Civil war, fighting between Allies and the Entente.

-Popularity Ratings:
(Updated for late 1905)

-Tsar Nicholas II: Low.
-President William McKinley: Medium.
-Kaiser Wilhelm III: Very High.
-Kaiser Charles I: Medium.
-Prime Minister Rouvier: Medium.
-Prime Minister Balfour: Medium.
-Emperor Mutsuhito: Very High.
-Sultan Abdul Hamid II: High.
-King Vittorio Emmanuele III: High.

Current Alliances:

The Entente (Italy, Germany, Japan, United States, Ottoman Empire, Greece, Bulgaria, Brazil and Argentina)
The Allies (British Empire, France, Portugal and Ethiopia)
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies