Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:02:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: Balance of Power (Gameplay Thread) - Epilogue and Game Over  (Read 71530 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: April 08, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »

The Ottoman Empire: Late 1901

--- In order to counter growing liberal sentiments among the elite, I shall institute sort of "pilot programme", redistributing some of the acquired land to the poor.

The overall goal is to secure my position with improved, more satisfied army and more receptive population

--- I shall grant the Army's request for reinforcement in Macedonia. I'm currently in the process of establishing a military cooperation with certain powers (see secret cables) to improve my military.

Realizing my conventional fleet's weaknesses, I shall order a study and possible pursing of the submarine warfare

Diplomacy:

To: The United Kingdom

We would wish to improve relations between our two countries. Would you be prepeared to discuss specifics?

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »

Well, I only need Italy, Germany and Austria-Hungary to begin next turn (and I am currently preparing a few surprises for the players). Once again, thanks for being so active!

OOC: Come on, guys, I can't wait for Lumine's suprises!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:57:42 PM »

To: The German Empire

We are delighted with your initiative to resolve the crisis on diplomatic foothold.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 05:31:49 AM »

Good, now I only need Italy and Austria-Hungary. Kalwejt's crises were mostly answered with his war choices, but he is free to post other choices if he wants to.

One more thing I did not include

Exploit the Opium Scandal to counted enemy's attempts at bribery and instigating mutiny
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 11:03:39 AM »

The Ottoman Army in the Balkans will not resist the Austro-Hungarians. The Sultan orders pulling troops back toward Constantinopole.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »

Our former Balkan provinces are now exclusively an internal matter of the Austria-Hungary. I hope the Russians and the French doesn't want to bring even more war on the others, this time in Europe.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 12:34:27 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2014, 12:36:28 PM by Kalwejt »

We find this very amusing the Entente is condemning Austria-Hungary for annexing Ottoman territories, while at the same time they are trying to conquer the other Ottoman lands. This is a matter between Vienna and Constantinopole to settle.

The Entente has already lost any moral claim of "supporting the oppressed" the moment their governments broke the peace, brought death and destruction to common man and attempted to destroy our citizens with deadly opium.

The Ottoman government, that has already begun impelling serious liberal domestic reforms before the treacherous attack, wishes only to live in peace with all powers. We are open minded toward reasonable requests from our neighbours, as all can be solved diplomatically, but we will not surrender to the powers attempting to destroy and subjugate our country. The war has only strengthen our resolve and we are prepeared to make a long stand if necessary.

We appeal to the government circles in London, Paris and Moscow, as well as to the peace-loving citizens of these contries, to think about amicably stooping this horror. No nation is going to benefit from a long conflict.

(EDIT: OOC: Well, I guess I shall sit for the rest of the turn)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »

Also, our capital is in St. Petersburg. Wink

Well, I should probably behead a dumb typist Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 03:01:56 PM »

Treaty of Jerusalem:

--France gains control and administration of Libya
--Britain gains control and administration over Hedjaz
--Britain gains control and administration over Palestine and Jordan
--Arabia is created as a British protectorate and Ottoman East Arabia is absorbed into it
--Remaining Sahara is divided evenly between British Egypt and French Libya
--Armenia is granted Independence and is in a personal Union with Russia
--Bulgaria gains land in the Balkans with the Ottomans retaining Istanbul
--Serbia gains land in the Balkans as shown
--Greece gains land in the Balkans as shown
--The Kurdish are guaranteed rights by the Ottomans
--Free Orthodox Settlement in Istanbul
--De-militarization of the Dardanelles
--Free Russian ship movement through the straight of Dardanelles
--Britain, France, and Russia shall respect the territorial integrity of the Ottoman Empire
--All changes agreed upon but not mentioned are shown in the map above

X-Prime Minister Salisbury

X-Abdul Hamid II
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 03:52:18 PM »

To: The United States of America

We are deeply grateful for all support during our era of need.

Since, as the war ended, there is no possible conflict between allies, we propose to strength our alliance with adopting similar treaty you have just signed with the United Kingdom.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 03:59:04 PM »

To: Kingdom of Romania, Tsardom of Bulgaria, Kingdom of Greece, Kingdom of Serbia, Principality of Montenegro

Despite our difficult history, I hope that concluded war can bring a new opening in our mutual relations.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »

To the Ottoman Empire-
I look forward to further strengthening the bond between our nations...I propose-

The Turkish-American Alliance

1- The USA and the Ottoman Empire are hereby allies

2- Both nations shall come to the other's aid in any conflict in which the other is involved

3- Both nations shall consider the other a priority trading partner

4- Both nations leaders should consult the other before announcing or enacting policies which may affect the other in a substantial way

Signed
President William McKinley

Signed

Signed
Sultan Abdul Hamid II
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »

Very well, I got all the answers and the war is over. There's a lot to consider and calculate, so next turn will start either tomorrow or Tuesday. IBDD said that he doesn't wish to keep playing as Germany, so Germany is now available if anybody is interested.

OOC: Excellent, beside of answering to new challenges, there is a lot I'd like to mention.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 06:58:55 PM »

Some Diplomacy first (sorry, but I can't post answers to the issues now. It's almost 2 am here Sad )

To: The United States of America

We would like to request that an agreed upon number of our officers be allowed to study the mighty American art of war with your troops and at your Army and Naval academies.

We want to confirm our desire to invite the United States Navy to establish a permanent bases in our territory.

Regarding the crisis in Venezuela, we are always willing to sent forces whenever you need an additional manpower. There are plenty of men here eager to fight alongside our allies.

x. Abdul Hamid II

I want to express my profound sadness over an untimely passing of the great Kaiser Wilhelm II. There was no more respected foreign ruler thorough our country. No words are strong enough to describe my horror at the barbarity of this criminal act.

x Abdul Hamid II

To: The French Republic

I want to congratulate Your Excellency upon securing another term as President of the Council. The French people showed a great wisdom by extending your mandate.

x Abdul Hamid II

To: The Austrian-Hungarian Empire

Thank you for your message. We already consider this to be a closed chapter of history.

x Abdul Hamid II

To: The Kingdom of Armenia

Despite our difficult history, we hope that, once you have achieved your independence, our two countries can establish a friendly relations as it should be among neighbours.   

x Abdul Hamid II
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 02:48:01 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2014, 02:52:26 AM by Abdul the Damned »

The Ottoman Empire will stand with our American allies regarding evens in Venezuela.

I order a Naval task force to sail off to join the U.S. forces there (OOC: Yes, my fleet is rather nonexistent after the war, but I still have some ships the Germans gave us that did not leave their ports, as my orders were to wait, so that's perfect for a "task force")

The Anarchists are enemies of the civilization. A barbaric assassination of Kaiser Wilhelm II is simply the last straw. The Ottoman Empire wishes to join the intergovernmental efforts to combat the menace.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 03:44:28 AM »

The Ottoman Empire

Land Reform

We shall continue acquiring the land from aristocracy (particularly disloyal one) for the state and to be redistributed among the poor. Exploit this in propaganda.

Some of the acquired lands and funds are going to be mighty useful in solving the refugee problem.

Refugees

This problem can't be solved overnight, but we must take care right away.

The Army is to assist the refugees in temporary establishments. Emphasize among the masses that Islam required the community to take care on brothers in need. The population must assist.

The Court shall use whatever it can to help too.

Appeal to the international community, as well as prominent philantroped abroad, for assistance in this great, humanitarian challenge.

Kurdistan

This is a pickle. The allies allowed us to keep Kurdistan, but we're also required to respect Kurds' rights by Treaty of Jerusalem. This must be taken care of ASAP.

The source of weaponry and money for the rebels is a great mystery that needs to be solved. Was Persia considered as a suspect? Look at this direction.

For immediate measures, the army must isolate Kurdistan from the rest of our Empire, since the unrests are to be contained. Furthermore, the region must be sealed form Persia.

We have plenty of troops that are eager to right and rehabilitate from the lost war. Use them to combat the rebels. The Secret Police knows the drill.

We shall actively approach the moderate Kurdish leader. Remind them that the western powers, despite promising independence, left them alone when the peace was made and emphasize the Sultan is serious about establishing their cultural and language autonomy, with other reforms to follow. But to achieve this the peace must be restored! Use all carrots and st irks.

Bosporus

I shall approach all interested sides, particularly the Russian Empire. While it harms our trade, semi-blocked Bosporus also hurts all involved Mediterranean players, particularly Russia, that just gained a free movement there and needs a connection between the Black Sea and the Ocean.

We propose a joint action to make the straits fully navigable once again.

Note: Works there are a golden opportunity for our workers!

Transportation

The war showed a weakness of our infrastructure. While certainly advantageous in delaying the enemy, it also puts a considerable strain of our own logistics, not to mention civilian economy.

We need to seriously take care of our railroads. Aside of Istanbul-Baghdad line, that must be build, I want proposals what other routes should be developed in future.

We shall sent our government officials to the United States, a country with great railroad experience, to discuss the cooperation with their government as well as private business.

Once we have the foreign aid, some money must be allocated to the project.

Last, but definitively not least, this is simply a great chance for our economy. Emphasize planned railroad works as a golden opportunity for our workers!

To: The Ministry of Defense

It is highly unfortunate the was has did occur before we were able to reform our military, leaving us unprepared. There are some bright spots, though. We proven we can still deliver unexpectedly strong performance against a superior enemy on multiple fronts. Our troops has gained a valuable experience in modern warfate. Also, rapid strikes in Libya, operation on large areas, were quite successful.

-- I order a report of the state of our Army and the Navy (OOC: asking the GM for more info).

-- What reforms should be taken?

-- With our fleet largely destroyed, we can't even think of competing with the conventional naval powers. The submarine warfare is to be studies and pursed seriously.

-- As stated above, our rapid operations in Libya are worth of deeper studying.

-- We need to create a modern military intelligence.

Opposition

Well, now they are paralyzed it's high time to deal with them once and for all. Remind the public that so-called "Young Turks", along with egoistical aristocracy, effectively supported the hated enemy, while common men fought and struggled.

The Secret Police knows the drill. Prepare a purge. Lesser followers are to be made known that their youthful indiscretions can be forgiven if they will abandon this infantilty and join rebuilding the country.

Administration

In order to futher reform our bureaucracy (IRL it was a task Abdul Hamid II was quite devoted to and good at), as well as to see whether we stand on pursing an administrative reform in unspecified yet future, I shall order a creation of Five Special Administrative Districts (I won't use any Eastern term, so I sound modern):

District A (Istanbul and surroundings)
District B (the rest of Anatolia)
District C (Syria and Lebanon)
District D (Mesopotamia)
District E (Kurdistan)

I shall appoint a High Commissioner to all Districts, who will oversee and coordinate the central administration there, as well as serve as my personal representative to the local authorities,

Propaganda

Points to be used in official sources, as well by the Secret Police, while conducting a discreet, yet whispered propaganda among the masses:

-- Despite an overwhelming odds, we showed to be a force to be reckon with

-- The Sultan saved the Empire from partition and the Faithful from subjugation to the Western, colonial powers

-- Only the Sultan can deliver a real change. The so called "Young Turks" conspired with the disloyal, egoistic aristocrats (all of them just a phony reformists) to aid the enemy

-- We are facing the new beginning

-- The projects, such as railroads, are golden opportunity to the people

-- Remember Opium Scandal. The Sultan and the police saved the people from that menace that ravaged China
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 03:56:57 AM »

To: The Russian Empire

We are very pleased with your wise decisions regarding Armenia. Such country can become a very useful middle ground in our relations.

Naturally, it's in everybody's best interest that you indeed keep a short leash. We, the people of East, can fully understand each other.

x Abdul Hamid II

To: The Japanese Empire

We would like to thank you for your neutrality in the recent conflict. It it a high time our countries can establish a normal, modern relations.

X Abdul Hamid II

Question to GM: What trade routes should I purse?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 07:07:09 AM »

Due to demilitarization of the straits, the primary base of the Ottoman Navy shall be relocated to Izmir, with secondary bases in Mesrin and Beirut to be established as the rebuilding of the fleet progresses.

From Navy Secretary Truman Newberry
To- Commanding Officer of the Ottoman Navy

With the US Navy's Mediterranean Task Force based in Constantinople, we are pleased to provide basic defense for your waters while you work to rebuild your navy and nation

To: Secretary of the Navy Truman Newberry

Welcome to our shores!

I welcome the efforts of the Ottoman Empire to combat Anarchism in every country. Since my country has terribly been affected by this menace, I propose a international treaty concerning and condeming Anarchism.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

x Kaiser Wilhelm III

x Abdul Hamid II

I'd like to propose an amendment that would create a joint commission made up from representatives of the law enforcement from all countries that signed the treaty, to coordinate international efforts and share informations.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »

Sultan to his inner circle (more of reflections than orders):

-- It's a tragedy the war did occur before we were able to reform our state. While we could have waged a long and fierce resistance, that would be just too much of a gamble.

-- There are a few bright spots. The opposition is paralyzed and our state remaining basically intact.

-- I bear no ill will toward Prime Minister Salisbury, Prime Minister Waldeck-Rousseau and, alas, Tsar Nicholas. They did what I would do if I were in their place, given our weakness. Yet, they showed a lot of restraint and good will for which I'm very grateful.

Naturally, it's unthinkable for me or any of my ministers to say such a thing in public, given how much the general public hates them. So we need to keep appearances for now.

-- Loss of the Holy Sites of Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem hurts us immensely as Muslims, but, outside of Palestine, these areas were of little strategic and economic value. We still are the only holder of the Caliphate.

-- Losing the Balkans is a blessing in disguise. There provinces were nothing but source of sorrow for me and my predecessors. They brought us nothing but wars, rebelions, costing human potential, funds, and distracting us from reforms. It grieves me territorial losses occurred during my reign but it was bound to happen anyway.

-- Libya was impossible to hold in a long run. Not without a strong naval force we lacked.

-- The Alliance with America, world's rising powers, is our priority and our future. Allah bless and protect President McKinley and his Republican Party! Just imagine isolationist Cleveland or that wacko Bryan in charge instead. HORRENDOUS!

-- With the country to save, we need to push serious economic and social reforms to improve lives of our citizens and isolate the radicals. Now, when there's so much to do, there's no time for political freedoms.

-- Yes, I'm serious about respecting the Kurdish rights (once there's a peace there). This can be our framework for huge administrative and constitutional reform.

-- We need to revive the policy of "Ottomanism" my great father has pursed now that we have less of hostile minorities. Turkish nationalism is a stupidity, as we have to bring the Turks, Arab and Kurds together as citizens of the Ottoman State - "Ottoman nationalists". We're now almost entirely a Muslim country, that's an important factor. Never forget that.

-- For a long time me, and those in my inner circle, were dubbed conservative or even reactionary. Partly because we believed it's the right way, frankly because our opponents called themselves a "reformists". No more. To survive we must become serious reformers ourselves.

-- I was too long known as "Abdul the Red" or "Abdul the Damned", so it's very unlikely I will ever become "Abdul the Beloved". I shall be satisfied with "Abdul the Acceptable", so my preferred successors and continuators of my works can be "Whateher-His-Name Beloved".

-- Well, you know where we stand. I'm off to my Harem. 

-- Oh, before I forget. Send a telegram to that drunk Italian King, wishing him a speed recovery.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »

To: The United States

We are very grateful for your financial aid and for responding positively to our military request.

x Abdul Hamid II

To: The Empire of Japan

Thank you for your positive response regarding establishing closer ties. We are much obliged for your proposed naval assistance.

x Abdul Hamid II

To: The United Kingdom

Would you be interested in joining the Cairo-Jerusalem Railway with the Istanbul-Baghdad Railway, once those two are completed?

x Abdul Hamid II

(aaaaand I'm off to bed Wink )
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:28 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2014, 09:18:31 AM by Abdul the Damned »

Honoring our alliance with the United States of America, the Ottoman Empire is hereby declaring war on the Republic of Venezuela.

-- Dispatch a regiment ready to be deployed to aid our American allies in the Carribean if needed. Of course they would need assistance of the U.S. Navy to cross the Ocean.

-- Froze and Venezuelan assets in the Ottoman Empire (I don't know if there are such, but nonetheless)

Statement:

Despite our recent and present challenges at home, the Ottoman Empire remains firmly committed to work with the United States. We cannot just expect aid without being ready to contribute.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 02:26:40 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2014, 02:33:53 PM by Abdul the Damned »

It's going to take time. I have to update Venezuela and the Reichstag election, and I have like 40 to 50 PM's of this turn alone, so trust me, it's going to take time, xD

I guess I contributed a lot to this number...

Maybe we can agree not to post anything new in this turn, maybe sans for stuff that was delayed?

I don't want to temper anyone's creativity, so whatever Lumine thinks is best Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2014, 05:08:40 PM by Abdul the Damned »

The Ottoman Empire doesn't wish to see Venezuela losing an acre of its sovereign territory. We can confirm the United States and the Ottoman Empire did discuss establishing a peacekeeping mission at Puerto Cabello. There's nothing sinister about this. To the contrary, we want to ensure the people of Venezuela to profit from their largest port once Mr. Castro's wrongdoings are stopped. And we are determine to see the this happen.  

Sultan to the Intelligence: Make sure our cables are not compromised!

Sultan's Message to the Army and the Navy: Despite all recent calamities, the Ottoman Navy is back at the high seas, ensuring peace in Venezuela alongside our allies.

This is a proof that, despite wishes of some treasonous elements, our troops are doing their job.

I would like to wish Your Majesty all the best in dealing with the political troubles. Your Majesty has already proved to be courageous leader, not afraid to make an unpopular, but wise decisions.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 04:30:09 AM »

Playing nice Tongue

Decree on Capital Cases

1. Number of crimes punishable by death shall be reduced to the following:

-- Murder with malice
-- Rape
-- High treason
-- Espionage
-- Instigating political violence
-- Conspiring to overthrow the government
-- Assault on the Sultan
-- Assault on the member of the House of Osman

2. Hanging shall be the sole method of civilian executions, with firing squad reserved for the military personnel.
3. All executions shall be held in private.
4. Males under 18, females under 21 and criminally insane shall not be eligible to receive the sentence of death

Sultan to the Ministry of Justice: I wish to see a number of death sentenced handed by our court reduced. I want to commute a number of death sentences as a public gesture. Send me a list.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 08:44:37 AM »
« Edited: April 19, 2014, 01:14:11 AM by Abdul the Damned »

Memo regarding rebuilding and long-term reform of the Navy:

There was a time the Ottoman Navy was the third largest sea power in the world. Now, especially with the heavy losses suffered, we cannot even dream or ruling the seas.

Our reborn Navy must have two basis tasks. First, defending our shores and be a formidable force to represent our interest in the Mediterranean region. Second, we need a Blue Water Task Force to participate in global affairs. It doesn't have to be large, but must be effective and always ready to be dispatched.

With the U.S. Navy now responsible for our defense at home, those ships participating in the Venezuelan War will become a core for the Blue Water Task Force.

Creating a small, but elite force to participate in operations overseas is another priority. This shall be the Naval Infantry, a special branch within the Navy.

A regiment that was dispatched to be shipped off to Venezuela if requested, shall become a basis for the Naval Infantry. Direct junior officers that has distinguished themselves during the war there.

Last but not least, there's a need to watch our shoreline. Why not to utilize an old-fashioned balloons and some airships, if we have any, to form an unit (Air Patrol) to watch the sea borders?

(ooc: Won't post anything more for a while unless stuff comes up that and I have to react to)

EDIT: One small issue I forgot to adreess. We still have a small window on the Persian Gulf via Iraq. Obviously, there's neither need nor possibility to maintain any bigger naval force there. A small flotilla entrusted with guarding the border and basic defense is all we need.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies