And now Mississippi has passed Religious Freedom Protection Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:48:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  And now Mississippi has passed Religious Freedom Protection Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: And now Mississippi has passed Religious Freedom Protection Bill  (Read 8074 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »

Anything described by its supporters as "common sense" is almost invariably a bad idea.

This is surprisingly accurate.

It shouldn't be that surprising. If they had good justification for their proposals, then they would not fall back on "common sense". Like the call of "that's immoral", it means that they know they don't have a leg to stand on.

"Common sense" is the first crutch that weak conservative arguments try to lean on, in the way that "fairness" is the first crutch that weak liberal ones struggle to stand on.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »

"The bill will also add "In God We Trust" to the state seal."

I am now truly convinced we are in the death throes of the Christian Right.  A smile forms across my face and a single tear flows down my cheek. 

Was the Christian Right in its death throes when they forced Teddy Roosevelt to add that bit of sacrilegious triteness to the double eagle in 1908?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 10:57:50 PM »

I am now truly convinced we are in the death throes of the Christian Right.  A smile forms across my face and a single tear flows down my cheek. 

Was the Christian Right in its death throes when they forced Teddy Roosevelt to add that bit of sacrilegious triteness to the double eagle in 1908?

I think I'll run for the Texas Legislature as a Republican and make my signature legislative platform be to revise our state seal to show Baby Jesus pistol-whipping an abortion doctor while a pair of bald eagles hold a banner overhead that reads "FAITH. FAMILY. FREEDOM."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 11:07:16 PM »

This is a state version of the federal law passed in the 1990s that stopped the feds from prosecuting peyote use in the Native American Church.   Of course it couldn't be passed today because gay rights.

I swear the left's memory is getting shorter and shorter.

I guess you just ignored the fact that THIS EXACT EXAMPLE is specifically excluded from protections in this bill, per its authors? I guess all you cared about was getting in your little quip, facts be damned...

For it to be specifically excluded from protections of the bill it would need to be specifically excluded in the bill itself.  Some of the people who voted for this bill probably aren't interested in government accommodating the religious freedom of Muslims, but legally that's what this means, and religious minorities are disproportionately likely to need these protections when it comes to state law.  Instead of decrying this bill, anyone who believes in pluralism and tolerance should be pushing for something like this to be put in the state constitutions.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 11:12:50 PM »

Be sure than as soon a Muslim wins something because of that law, it will be amended to include exceptions.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 11:43:25 PM »

This is a state version of the federal law passed in the 1990s that stopped the feds from prosecuting peyote use in the Native American Church.   Of course it couldn't be passed today because gay rights.

I guess you just ignored the fact that THIS EXACT EXAMPLE is specifically excluded from protections in this bill, per its authors? I guess all you cared about was getting in your little quip, facts be damned...

For it to be specifically excluded from protections of the bill it would need to be specifically excluded in the bill itself.  Some of the people who voted for this bill probably aren't interested in government accommodating the religious freedom of Muslims, but legally that's what this means, and religious minorities are disproportionately likely to need these protections when it comes to state law.  Instead of decrying this bill, anyone who believes in pluralism and tolerance should be pushing for something like this to be put in the state constitutions.

That's why Republicans in Oklahoma and other states passed laws to ban Sharia law.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 05:26:01 AM »

That's completely irrelevant to my point, which is that the the time between "bad idea" and "inalienable right" keeps shrinking.

Besides as shua said, its more important what a bill says than what some legislator wishes it to be.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »

This is what the bill says:

(5)  (a)  Government shall not substantially burden a person's exercise of religion even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability, except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection.
          (b)  Government may substantially burden a person's exercise of religion only if it demonstrates that application of the burden to the person:
              (i)  Is in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest; and
              (ii)  Is the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest.

Every supporter of the bill says that 5.b.i. will prevent any religious-based drug use since preventing drug use in Mississippi has always been considered a "compelling governmental interest."

Maybe a judge will provide a different interpretation and turn the tables on the Fringe Right supporters of this law (and that would be awesome), but we don't even have any peyote-smoking Indians in this state, nor do we have liberal judges who would do that anyway. Sure, I guess after a few years some federal judge could use this law to rule in favor of a non-Christian, but this law will almost certainly just be struck down for discrimination purposes long before that.

Why the Right wants to bury their heads in the sand and pretend this isn't about gays (remember, it has already been established by the state that protecting gay equality is NOT a "compelling governmental interest") is beyond me. Remember, this law was specifically written because similar, more-explicitly anti-gay bills were being proposed in other states.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2014, 02:31:59 PM »

So basically, 5(b) provides cover for the State of Mississippi to only enforce 5(a) when it concerns groups of people and things they happen to like.

If a Muslim opened a halal butcher shop in MS, the local lawmakers would probably swoop in and try to make him offer pork products since not doing so would be "un-American/un-Mississippian."
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »

How is this a sign of the religious right dying?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 10:45:29 AM »

So basically, 5(b) provides cover for the State of Mississippi to only enforce 5(a) when it concerns groups of people and things they happen to like.

If a Muslim opened a halal butcher shop in MS, the local lawmakers would probably swoop in and try to make him offer pork products since not doing so would be "un-American/un-Mississippian."

No, it means that we have courts that decide if the legislators or a government agency is meeting the compelling interest test, just like in the Federal RFRA that uses this exact same language.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2014, 04:09:42 PM »

Were 1/3 of youngs identifying as "non-religious" in 1908?  http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/  Hah!  Doubtful.  The Christian Right is grasping at what they have left... anti-gay legislation with some useless earmark to get God onto the state seal of the most socially conservative state in the nation. 

This is how irrelevant they have become on the national scale, shocking/delightful considering they had a U.S. President running on a platform of theocracy just 10 years ago.   
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2014, 04:18:14 PM »

Were 1/3 of youngs identifying as "non-religious" in 1908?  http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/  Hah!  Doubtful.  The Christian Right is grasping at what they have left... anti-gay legislation with some useless earmark to get God onto the state seal of the most socially conservative state in the nation. 

This is how irrelevant they have become on the national scale, shocking/delightful considering they had a U.S. President running on a platform of theocracy just 10 years ago.   

Stop using terms when you clearly don't know what they mean.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »

How is this a sign of the religious right dying?

I wouldn't say they are dying, but losing influence.  There are exceptions in hellhole states like Mississippi.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2014, 04:20:42 PM »

I am now truly convinced we are in the death throes of the Christian Right.  A smile forms across my face and a single tear flows down my cheek.  

Were 1/3 of youngs identifying as "non-religious" in 1908?  http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/  Hah!  Doubtful.  The Christian Right is grasping at what they have left... anti-gay legislation with some useless earmark to get God onto the state seal of the most socially conservative state in the nation.  

Stop using terms when you clearly don't know what they mean.

I'm well aware of what a theocracy is, Al.  
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »

Hockeydude is hilarious, I hope he doesn't leave again.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 02:08:28 AM »

Does this mean we can practice Sharia Law now?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2014, 02:39:00 AM »

Anything described by its supporters as "common sense" is almost invariably a bad idea.

This is surprisingly accurate.

It shouldn't be that surprising. If they had good justification for their proposals, then they would not fall back on "common sense". Like the call of "that's immoral", it means that they know they don't have a leg to stand on.

Indeed, I meant surprising in the sense that it genuinely surprised me that Snowstalker said something accurate.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 02:59:31 AM »

Though I normally defend MS, this is just awful.
rorschach
Rookie

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2014, 03:49:36 AM »

Worst. State. in the Union.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies