New York outstripped by Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:59:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  New York outstripped by Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Your feelings about it?
Makes me angry.
Makes me sad.
Makes me happy.
I don't care.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: New York outstripped by Florida  (Read 4744 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: April 05, 2014, 10:56:04 AM »

I recall reading once that Buffalo was the eight largest city in the US at one point.  

As Ernest pointed out in the other thread, it was more about commercial bottlenecks that New York City and by extention New York State became the largest. The state has been described as an L with New York City on one end and Buffalo at the other. I would guess 90% of the population of the state lives along that L, which contains throughout history the Mohawk Trail, The Erie Canal and the New York Central's water level route, over which most of the Great Lakes and even Midwestern Commerce was redirected towards New York City as the primary port outlet, which was previously New Orleans.

New York's Port facility is small and dated in comparison to others and of course you have the St. Lawrence Seaway siphoning off the Great Lakes and finally, the decline of the rust belt all taking a bite out of New York's pie.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies