April Senate Election Discussion Thread - ELECTION TRACKER
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:18:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  April Senate Election Discussion Thread - ELECTION TRACKER
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: April Senate Election Discussion Thread - ELECTION TRACKER  (Read 5619 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »

Luckily, I'm not a Fed anymore, so I don't have to deal with these complaints Smiley

Just glad the D-R's continue to send a representative to the halls of the Senate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2014, 04:53:20 PM »

I see the usually suspects are up to their old tricks false narratives and repetition of blatant lies in the hopes that people will believe them. Roll Eyes
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2014, 05:04:23 PM »

Luckily, I'm not a Fed anymore, so I don't have to deal with these complaints Smiley

Just glad the D-R's continue to send a representative to the halls of the Senate.

I am happy for shua as well. I wanted to get two Federalist in and I did my best to bring it about. However, if it had to fall through to someone, I am glad it was to shua.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2014, 05:18:44 PM »

JCL was objectively far more deserving of a Senate seat than a non-entity like Goldwater. What a joke, Federalists. Roll Eyes

He should have retired when he lost interest, like I did. Tongue

Or me! That's the ethical thing to do.

The Federalist betrayal of their most active and engaged candidate is gross. I'm going to have to first preference JCL next time around at this rate.

You didn't retire, you resigned midterm after first dropping off the radar without much of an explanation. Goldwater posted a leave, two weeks early and fully in tune with the rules, and then came back as amazing a concept as that might be.

Let me tell you something Oaky boy and let me make this very plain. Neither candidate satisfied my expectations regarding their campaign presense, and maybe that played a role maybe that didn't. But we had two candidates and the ability to get both in. I did the best I could to help JCL and put together a winning coalition, as well as advise him to maintain a public campaign to keep his supporters engaged. I also contacted enough people to get him in, and asked thme to support him.

Maybe you beleive in forcing people to vote a certain way, and maybe things operate differently for other parties, but I am not a heavy handed SOB. I never was as RPP Chair and I won't be as Fed Chair. The reason is that always backfires. You should know that better than anyone. If you want someone's vote, the best way to get is to earn it yourself, because surrogates only have limited effect. I full expected JCL to rally the more conservative members and surge out early with Goldwater away and not engaged in the campaign in those last few days before the voting started. That didn't happen. Maybe more effort on his part would have chnaged that, maybe not. I do know that I did everything I could that was feasible on my end.

I know you don't give a crap anymore and feel no compunction about trashing the hard work of others, but I will tell you this that I would give anything to have the Oakvale I knew in 2010, 2011 and 2012, back again.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2014, 05:25:50 PM »

It should embarrass everyone involved, but at least we have a good signal of who actually pays attention and who just votes as they are told (or just doesn't give a crap about what someone does once they are elected). Christ, Shua has probably been the most effective critic of Labor's proposals in the Senate, and we nearly turned him out. That would not have been good for anyone in the long run.

I found that most people voted the way they themselves wanted. I actually expected Goldwater to struggle and whilst I had Goldwater slighlty higher on my pre-election vote predictions, many of them were less reliable voters and JCL's appeared to be a committed base ready to surge the minute the voting opened. By Friday afternoon several Indies voted for Goldwater early as aopposed to late, which I didnt' expected in his absence, and some expected JCL voters crossed over.

As amazing as it might seem Goldwater is a respected individual and while it would be nice if he had offered more in thep ast month, month and a half, he is hardly the worst Senator ever to serve in that chamber as certain folks have tried to claim this week.

Your right shua is a good Senator and so is Lumine, which is why I asked every member to try and preference both. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 05:27:52 PM »

JCL was objectively far more deserving of a Senate seat than a non-entity like Goldwater. What a joke, Federalists. Roll Eyes

The Federalist betrayal of their most active and engaged candidate is gross. I'm going to have to first preference JCL next time around at this rate.

You didn't retire, you resigned midterm after first dropping off the radar without much of an explanation. Goldwater posted a leave, two weeks early and fully in tune with the rules, and then came back as amazing a concept as that might be.

Let me tell you something Oaky boy and let me make this very plain. Neither candidate satisfied my expectations regarding their campaign presense, and maybe that played a role maybe that didn't. But we had two candidates and the ability to get both in. I did the best I could to help JCL and put together a winning coalition, as well as advise him to maintain a public campaign to keep his supporters engaged. I also contacted enough people to get him in, and asked thme to support him.

Maybe you beleive in forcing people to vote a certain way, and maybe things operate differently for other parties, but I am not a heavy handed SOB. I never was as RPP Chair and I won't be as Fed Chair. The reason is that always backfires. You should know that better than anyone. If you want someone's vote, the best way to get is to earn it yourself, because surrogates only have limited effect. I full expected JCL to rally the more conservative members and surge out early with Goldwater away and not engaged in the campaign in those last few days before the voting started. That didn't happen. Maybe more effort on his part would have chnaged that, maybe not. I do know that I did everything I could that was feasible on my end.

I know you don't give a crap anymore and feel no compunction about trashing the hard work of others, but I will tell you this that I would give anything to have the Oakvale I knew in 2010, 2011 and 2012, back again.

Jesus, overreact much? Chill.

My point is just that JCL's been a Federalist candidate for the Senate a couple of dozen times. It's probably about time you should admit that you guys aren't willing to support him - that'd be okay, Labor did the same thing with Snowstalker. I just think it's kind of sad to see JCL (who I obviously agree with on <1% of anything) strung along with a constant refrain of "maybe next time...".

Forcing people to vote a certain way when the majority of voters are zombies is basically just what any kind of PM campaigning is - most of your voters, most voters period, will vote for whoever they're told because they don't know what happens in Atlasia or even who the candidates are. That's a shame but it's a long standing fact of life.

e: I'm not "trashing" anyone's "hard work" - there's no particular indication that this was a failure of effort on behalf of the Federalist Party.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »

Please oakvale, do not compare JCL to snowtalker.
1) JCL has a real ideology
2) JCL isn't trolling the Federalist party
3) JCL is respectful
4)JCL is active and isn't seeking the senate just for being an attention whore.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2014, 05:47:38 PM »

Jesus, overreact much? Chill.

My point is just that JCL's been a Federalist candidate for the Senate a couple of dozen times. It's probably about time you should admit that you guys aren't willing to support him - that'd be okay, Labor did the same thing with Snowstalker. I just think it's kind of sad to see JCL (who I obviously agree with on <1% of anything) strung along with a constant refrain of "maybe next time...".

Forcing people to vote a certain way when the majority of voters are zombies is basically just what any kind of PM campaigning is - most of your voters, most voters period, will vote for whoever they're told because they don't know what happens in Atlasia or even who the candidates are. That's a shame but it's a long standing fact of life.

e: I'm not "trashing" anyone's "hard work" - there's no particular indication that this was a failure of effort on behalf of the Federalist Party.

I know he has Oakvale, and even before he dropped out of the special to succeed Tmth, I began working to put together a coalition for him. He did have votes, the supporters as I had nearly 18 voters on a list that didn't include DC, Hagrid, PiT and Dereich. The problem is that candidates don't run in isolation, some have long standing ties to a particular candidate or a long standing working relationship, or maybe that do stuff together on other boards or finally a key issue that makes the difference between a first and a second. Two or three crossed over to vote for Goldwater, and the above four compensated for that. If Cassius had voted, he probably would have voted for JCL. There was another likely JCL voter who didn't vote either. Turnout is a step away from enthusiasm and energy. Maybe some combination of the Easter weekend and perhaps the lack of a public campaign, made that two vote difference. JCL is lucky he got that close, as I expected Angus, Smoltchanov, Grumps and Smid to vote for shua. 

There were a loto f people who wanted JCL to get in and he got a lot of votes that in conjunction with those who were closest to him ideologically formed a natural base substantial enough to win. I even PMed him that if got the turnout he needed amongst the core group, he would probably be in the Senate. And I do recall serving with Snowstalker in the Senate not to long ago, now that you mention it. Tongue

More often, they vote based on what they know from previous campaigns, previous interactions and conections, or a key issue, which blunts the effectiveness of requests. I am new to the chairmanshaip. I am contacting people who don't know me and suppose Maxwell is contacting the same people for shua. Just a short while ago, he was in this hot seat, and I was the one trying to facilitate shua's election.

You seem to do that a lot though. Tongue
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2014, 06:11:39 PM »

It should embarrass everyone involved, but at least we have a good signal of who actually pays attention and who just votes as they are told (or just doesn't give a crap about what someone does once they are elected). Christ, Shua has probably been the most effective critic of Labor's proposals in the Senate, and we nearly turned him out. That would not have been good for anyone in the long run.

As amazing as it might seem Goldwater is a respected individual and while it would be nice if he had offered more in thep ast month, month and a half, he is hardly the worst Senator ever to serve in that chamber as certain folks have tried to claim this week.

Considering I'm required to actually deal with the Senate, I'm trying my best not to comment however, "hardly the worst Senator ever" is perhaps the most absurd reasoning imaginable.  The results of this election, and I'm sure the results of the next regional Senate elections as well further prove that most people don't actually have a clue what happens in the Government board.  
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2014, 06:35:18 PM »

Considering I'm required to actually deal with the Senate, I'm trying my best not to comment however, "hardly the worst Senator ever" is perhaps the most absurd reasoning imaginable.  The results of this election, and I'm sure the results of the next regional Senate elections as well further prove that most people don't actually have a clue what happens in the Government board.  

And I don't have to deal with the Senate? Tongue

I don't get what you are trying to contradict. Goldwater is not the best Senator, no one said he was. But some have claimed he was the worst, even the worst ever, and that is "the most absurd statement imaginable" because I have had to deal wtih the Senate long enough to know that is ridiculous, man.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2014, 06:53:49 PM »

Yankee, you and I both know that our expectations are usually higher than "not the worst Senator ever." I've called out plenty of Senators other than Goldwater on inactivity, as have you. Is that really the best defense that you can muster?

What are you talkaing about? I was responding to the statements I have heard over the past week regarding him, and why people were motivated to support him as some seem shocked to realize that connections between people and such can be more powerful then anything in this game.

Consider the facts. Goldwater has written no bills. He's sponsored a total of four amendments, none of them in the most recent session. His contributions to debate have been negligible; excluding votes, you could probably count the comments that he's made on the Fantasy Government board over the past two months on one hand. There are literally dozens of people who would contribute more if they were in the Senate - I'm shocked that you couldn't find anyone else in your party who would run.

Maybe my standards have been dulled by certain Senators, many of which you guys sent our way over the past year that frankly just being there seems to be a substantial improvement. But Goldwater never struck me as being a problem activity wise, there was always a bigger concern in that regard, often more then one.

If this issue is so important, why did you quit reporting the various stats like you were doing late last year?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2014, 07:45:22 PM »

>takes a leave of absence
>continues posting on the rest of the forum
>gets re-elected to the Senate anyway
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2014, 08:21:28 PM »

How long have you taken leave of the facts?

Goldwater was not on the site, more or less posting during the stated duration of his leave.

Thanks for the JCL vote by the way, really provided some unexpected assistance. Wink
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »

Clearly you didn't even actually read my LOA thread.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2014, 10:15:31 PM »

Clearly you didn't even actually read my LOA thread.

Why bother responding to you-know-who?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »

The fact is, this type of behavior is unacceptable on either side. I hope Goldwater is able to participate in the next session, but it kind of irks me that after all this talk of the lack of activity, we have yet another senator that runs for re-election and announces the day after that he is taking leave for a month.

Yeah, I get AP exams are tough, but you knew they were coming, so do the right thing and retire before the election. It's already hard enough for me to keep this game going when I'm talking to like 2 senators and no one else.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2014, 12:14:43 AM »

When I knew I was going to be absent for a month of my possible future term... I didn't run.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2014, 12:32:09 AM »

When I knew I was going to be absent for a month of my possible future term... I didn't run.

Would have been worth the month of absence for the three months to follow though and overal much better then who got elected instead in that regard. Tongue

also would have been legal for one that long back then

While we are on the subject, if Alfred were to resign or get expelled... Wink
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2014, 01:10:48 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2014, 01:42:19 AM by Senator-elect Griffin »

Oh boy, you gotta love the classic deflection and projection going on in this thread. It starts off as an analysis of how someone who'd no doubt be active was thrown under the bus by the Failderalist Party for the umpteenth time in exchange for somebody who has been effectively MIA for months, but is steered back at Labor. I'm not going to say the critique against Alfred is invalid, but bear with me here.

I think the real issue is that someone is upset because they can't get a grip on the Failderalist Party and is going about raging all across the FE board as a result. What is mistakenly referred to as "heavy-handedness" is actually just having any reasonable control or influence over a party whatsoever. Seriously, look at this:

Those are all the defections in this race: 15, with over half of them coming from the Failderalist Party.

Basically, one in four Failderalists couldn't be bothered to vote for a Failderalist candidate; I'm pretty sure Snowstalker had better retention against Napoleon in 2012.

Nine defections - JCL only needed two of those members to support him and he'd be a Senator right now. Hell, had Yankee voted for JCL, I'd probably have given JCL a [1] at the end, if only because a Senate with he, TNF and myself would have been a blast.

The main point and difference is this: the discussion over the activity of said Labor Senator will be handled in-house and won't tangibly affect the Senate over the long-term, while the activity of said Failderalist Senator has impacted the Senate for months and will be very likely to continue for at least four more. It's all the more ridiculous when you consider that they threw an otherwise active candidate under the bus for him, while their Party Chair supported the inactive one and has the gall to bitch about Senate activity in the same breath.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2014, 01:23:13 AM »

Bmotley isn't a Federalist.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2014, 01:39:28 AM »

G-D it
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2014, 02:04:06 AM »

I think the real issue is that someone is upset because they can't get a grip on the Failderalist Party and is going about raging all across the FE board as a result.

If I am lacking a grip on anything right now it is my own damn sanity because I keep subjecting myself yet one more item of bullcrap every single day I come on here any more. And the reason I am raging all over your ass and others including close friends like Duke in private, so don't take it as personal or partisan, is that frankly after what happened to me last month I don't have the patience or the concern anymore to keep putting up with it.

Not that you would give a damn or care, but real reason I am upset is because I have lost something far more important than some stupid election on a ing stupid ass website. And when I got off this damn site and walk out in the living room, he isn't going to be sitting there asking me to stay talk to him and I think about that every time I come on.

Before it was just part of the game, the lies, the distortions the bs. Now a part of me keeps screaming saying, this is not worth it. And it isn't.

I never said anything about Alfred, other then say hey man you cannot do this and posted the rules against it, after which I then reponded to those who falsely claimed that Goldwater's leave was twice as long and that he was posting during it, which none of your people have owned up to have been wrong about, I would point out. Just another false narrative that there is no accountability or sense of obligation to tell the truth about. I urge you to go check that thread again before blabbing your mouth off again about something you clearly do not know what the hell you are talking about.

I don't give a damn anymore Adam. Take your spin and your bs. Your people will believe whatever bs any one of them spreads anyway and I will just count on the good faith of tohse who bother to check and find the truth, be it the exact dates of Goldwater's leave, my efforts to help JCL, or the true wait time for a freshman Senator to get a bill on the floor.

Just stick it, Adam.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2014, 02:09:35 AM »

I am just so damn sick of this place and so many of the people in it anymore. Were it not for my desire to keep my promises, I would be gone. I would have left in March, because when your standing in the rain fighting back tears as someone you care about is being buried, you begin to question what you are doing and why. I would give everything I have done on this god forshaked hell hole of site in five years to be with him one more day.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2014, 02:29:14 AM »

I'm sorry for what you're going through. I can't pretend to know what it's like. All I am or was aware of is your increasingly argumentative tone with multiple people in recent days, including the exchanges about activity with oakvale and those with Nix. Because of that, what's on the surface and what's being dished out is all I could take into consideration.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2014, 02:35:13 AM »

I wanted to vote at first but when I saw that none of the candidates contacted me before or during the election and the only message I got was from a supporter three hours before the polls closed I decided not to. I will keep it that way in the future. Votes just shouldn't be taken for granted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies