Opinion of the previous poster's ideology (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:37:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of the previous poster's ideology (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of the previous poster's ideology  (Read 6720 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 06, 2014, 02:13:33 AM »

Although there are probably several cultural issues that we agree on.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »

Not really compatible with my own beliefs and I think it's wrongheaded in several aspects but it's well-meaning, respectable, and practical.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »

It's for the most part unreconstructed Whiggery, but there are admirable elements of self-awareness and a social-democratic overlay that mitigate that somewhat.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2014, 05:18:35 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

It's for the most part unreconstructed Whiggery, but there are admirable elements of self-awareness and a social-democratic overlay that mitigate that somewhat.

Elaborate. 

SKIP

I could be misreading your intentions or motivations or something but most of the time you do appear to view movement towards your positions on many political and cultural issues--positions which tend to emphasize personal autonomy, come across as generally individualist in focus, and take a very high view of the role of science and technology--as in some sense inherent, or at least to view deviation from this as aberrant and requiring explanation, and this seems to be a central enough concern for the image of your views that comes across on the forum that your thought process as a whole ends up looking very Whiggish.

SKIP
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 05:40:39 PM »

windjammer's ideology is more or less good and probably closer to mine than almost any other poster's but the candidates that it leads him to support are sometimes less than ideal.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 10:37:09 PM »

As it currently stands, pretty awful, but he shows an admirable learning process that one hopes takes him somewhere far better, because I think he's fundamentally sensitive, well-intentioned, and decent.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 01:10:20 PM »

A little too bog-standard left-liberal for me, but there are far worse things to be than that.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 01:45:17 PM »

Seems unobjectionable, and I associate him with having a decent amount of common sense although I can't remember any specific examples off the top of my head.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 11:58:42 PM »

Nearly as close to the opposite of mine as possible within the limits of reasonableness.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 09:40:03 PM »

Their ideology is well thought, but I get the sense that, even though we agree on almost everything, we have completely opposite reasoning - and I suspect it's partially religious (duh) but also an urban-rural kind of thing (even though they actually live in a more urban area than I do).

Where do you live?

*SKIP*
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 10:00:03 PM »

Their ideology is well thought, but I get the sense that, even though we agree on almost everything, we have completely opposite reasoning - and I suspect it's partially religious (duh) but also an urban-rural kind of thing (even though they actually live in a more urban area than I do).

Where do you live?

*SKIP*

You live in Amherst, right? I think is probably more urban (or at least urban tied) than Boone, NC, although I must admit that I don't know too much about Western Mass.

Boone is fairly dense but I would not characterize it as being a city or anything. If anything that's more of a function of local topography.

Until recently I was in Amherst because I was going to school there but where my family actually lives, and where I am now, is South Deerfield. It's a village center, certainly not the middle of the woods, but it has only about two thousand people and is sandwiched between farmland and another, historically preserved village center to the north, more farmland to the south, wooded mountains and then the Connecticut River to the east, and a ribbon of highways and then mile after mile of wooded mountain to the west.

From what I know of Boone it and Amherst are about equally urban without taking the UMass campus into account. Taking the UMass campus into account--as one should, really--Amherst is definitely more so, yes.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 05:42:17 PM »

It's obviously not identical to my own, but I'm more than okay with it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 10:50:33 PM »

Not great.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies