Fundamentalist Belief Inventory Quiz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:05:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Fundamentalist Belief Inventory Quiz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Fundamentalist Belief Inventory Quiz  (Read 9328 times)
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »

"You scored 1 out of 40," which accurately put me into the atheists and agnostics category.

The one point I got would almost certainly for responding that alcohol consumption is sinful.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 08:03:01 PM »

"You scored 1 out of 40," which accurately put me into the atheists and agnostics category.

The one point I got would almost certainly for responding that alcohol consumption is sinful.

You're a teetotaler?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »

4 out of 40. A good share of these options seemed loaded to me so I wouldn't call it the most accurate test for gauging someone's beliefs, although I guess I had fun doing it.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 01:11:36 AM »

I am, though I do not judge others harshly for drinking in moderation so long as nobody is harmed.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »

Atheist/agnostic
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »

I got an 8 - The majority of college students in the United States.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 04:34:02 PM »

I got a 0
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 05:19:17 PM »

31/40. I agree with JBrase that the test was poorly worded.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »

That still seems high for you, Sanchez, even though I'm not entirely familiar with your theological views.  Are you still a creationist?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2014, 06:44:38 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

That still seems high for you, Sanchez, even though I'm not entirely familiar with your theological views.  Are you still a creationist?
Of course. You speak as if creationism was some fringe position that would make my score higher than usual, when it is pretty widely accepted by Christian's across the nation in some form or another. I am not a young Earth creationist, though.

I'm a liberal Baptist (though I am thinking of joining the United Church of Christ despite their liberal theological views since the Baptist Church I attend in an hour and a half away). My views are very similar to JBrase's, actually.

A good example of where my theological views diverge from both Unitarians and Baptists is the Heaven/Hell debate. I cannot believe in a god who casts people into hell for never hearing of him, and I believe good people can go to Heaven, I also believe that a literal hell exists for those who choose not to believe (or simply choose not to care), though I don’t view their damnation as God turning away from them as much as I do them refusing to turn away from sin.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »

Of course. You speak as if creationism was some fringe position that would make my score higher than usual, when it is pretty widely accepted by Christian's across the nation in some form or another. I am not a young Earth creationist, though.

I'm a liberal Baptist (though I am thinking of joining the United Church of Christ despite their liberal theological views since the Baptist Church I attend in an hour and a half away). My views are very similar to JBrase's, actually.

Sounds like you'd be best in the Disciples of Christ.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »

Well, I know it's not a fringe position, especially among Baptists, though it is a view I would characterize as being more fundamentalist than conservative.  That's not to say you can't be a creationist and still have moderate or liberal views on theology and social issues, of course.

As a UCCer myself, I would certainly never recommend against it to anyone, but you should know that it is probably the most liberal out of all the Protestant denominations, perhaps second only to the Unitarian Universalists (which is not an inherently Christian church, even).  The UCC doesn't really endorse an evolutionist or a creationist view of the universe, but its understanding of how the Gospel can be interpreted is very different from that of many other churches.  It's also unabashedly active in the political scene (at least the national church is) and pro-gay rights, which I know you are as well.  I guess I would characterize it as big tent on theological issues, progressive on political ones.  (Of course, it's more apt to endorse specific causes rather than political parties... which I think is the way to go.)

Sorry for going on a tangent there.  Those are just things you should keep in mind if you want to join the UCC, which I've been with for quite some time now. Smiley

EDIT: Ah, BRTD has a point.  The Disciples of Christ are basically "theologically progressive Baptists," as one of my pastors once put it.  You would fit in there, too.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2014, 07:02:46 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Well, I know it's not a fringe position, especially among Baptists, though it is a view I would characterize as being more fundamentalist than conservative.  That's not to say you can't be a creationist and still have moderate or liberal views on theology and social issues, of course.

As a UCCer myself, I would certainly never recommend against it to anyone, but you should know that it is probably the most liberal out of all the Protestant denominations, perhaps second only to the Unitarian Universalists (which is not an inherently Christian church, even).  The UCC doesn't really endorse an evolutionist or a creationist view of the universe, but its understanding of how the Gospel can be interpreted is very different from that of many other churches.  It's also unabashedly active in the political scene (at least the national church is) and pro-gay rights, which I know you are as well.  I guess I would characterize it as big tent on theological issues, progressive on political ones.  (Of course, it's more apt to endorse specific causes rather than political parties... which I think is the way to go.)

Sorry for going on a tangent there.  Those are just things you should keep in mind if you want to join the UCC, which I've been with for quite some time now. Smiley

EDIT: Ah, BRTD has a point.  The Disciples of Christ are basically "theologically progressive Baptists," as one of my pastors once put it.  You would fit in there, too.
I appreciate the advice Smiley. I found a Disciples of Christ Church not too far away from me (though it does involve the chaotic drive down I-95 through West Palm Tongue) that seems to fit my preferred size of a church. I'll definitely look into it. The only disagreement I seem to have with them is communion, and that really is a minor issue in the greater order of things.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 06:00:12 AM »

I answered as though I were still a Christian. I believed myself at the time to be a more progressive believer; nevertheless I scored 22 out of 40. I suppose compared to my peers I was a heretic, still - I didn't believe in creationism (although I did for a while when I was younger), thought it was silly that the Bible was the only divinely inspired text or that there weren't contradictions within itself. Still, that coupled with some other dramatic life experiences laid the foundations for my exodus. Maybe my fundie friends were justified in rejecting my views.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 06:34:24 PM »

4. There's something out there, but the Bible doesn't offer it.
Meursault
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2014, 06:46:31 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2014, 06:48:24 PM by Meursault »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The only question on which I answered as a 'fundamentalist' was six, "(h)umans are by nature sinners, and God is under no obligation to save them." But this doesn't mean I regard the very idea of 'sin' as describing something real; when analyzed from an atheistic perspective, it seems to say nothing more than "do you think people are 'bad' or 'good' by nature?". How are you meant to answer that if you don't think there's a 'human nature'?

I tend to think that most actions are 'negative', but this is not a moral judgment, nor does it suggest I view humans as having a 'nature', whether we want to describe that nature in the religious terminology of sin and salvation or the psychologistic vocabulary of Freud.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 10:02:52 PM »

I scored 20, but the test is horribly designed.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 03:12:00 AM »

1 - Atheist/Agnostic
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 08:50:51 PM »

Scored a perfect 0 and it nailed me as an atheist. There were a lot of statements that I didn't agree with so I went with the one I most agreed with.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2014, 08:39:10 PM by Senator Goldwater »

I'm not sure how well this quiz applies to someone who isn't religious, but I got a 4 which apparently puts me in the same range as most collage students.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2014, 03:58:44 PM »

I got 31/40, which supposedly makes me a "conservative Christian."  There were some questions I had some trouble with, though, because neither of the answers fit my beliefs well.
Repub242
Jack982
Rookie
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »

I got 31, conservative christian.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »

I got "burn the witch".

anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2014, 10:30:18 AM »

I got 3, but only because several of the questions represented artificial opposites.  Anyway, I was interested to learn that believing works contribute to salvation is anti-fundamentalist, and especially that psychiatry and psychology were especially contemptible things for fundamentalists.  Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2014, 01:50:56 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2014, 05:27:02 PM by True Federalist »

Anyway, I was interested to learn that believing works contribute to salvation is anti-fundamentalist

I'm surprise to hear you learned that from the quiz since that works don't contribute to salvation is a pretty basic component of Protestant—let alone fundamentalist—theology.  Of course, some people seem to miss the point that while faith alone is sufficient for salvation, faith will lead one to do good works in accordance with one's ability.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies