raw milk
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:14:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  raw milk
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should it be legal?
yes (D)

yes (R)

yes (L)

yes (G)

no (D)

no (R)

no (L)

no (G)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: raw milk  (Read 1651 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2014, 12:09:14 AM »

yes
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:19:16 AM »

Not recommended, but yes.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 12:25:10 AM »

I guess so, as long as the seller makes it clear that the milk is raw.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 12:51:30 AM »

No (R).

Ensuring public health should be an utmost priority of the government.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 01:20:10 AM »

Yes. But it should only be allowed to be sold from farmers directly to consumers.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 01:59:11 AM »

No (sane).
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 02:23:41 AM »

Yes. But it should only be allowed to be sold from farmers directly to consumers.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:03:34 PM »

At a minimum, milk should be subjected to (which under FDA standards would still cause it to be classified as raw milk.  It also would be nice to have some studies on the differences between milk subjected to  thermization (145F for 15 sec), old-style pasteurization (145F for 30 min), flash pasteurization (160F for 15 sec), and UHT pasteurization (280F for 2 sec).  Flash pasteurization is what is typically sold as pasteurized milk these days it is far quicker than old-style pasteurization.  For obvious reasons, the commercial milk industry prefers flash pasteurization, but it would be good to see if the alleged health and flavor benefits of could be retained via the use of old-style pasteurization.  It would be more expensive to use the old-style pasteurization than flash pasteurization, but considering the premium raw milk producers get for their product, one would think that where raw milk is illegal, the old-style pasteurization might be able to command a similar premium.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 01:08:25 PM »

Yes (R)/(L).
^^^^
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 01:34:14 PM »

No (D/G)

One of the roles of government is to make sure that the health of the public is in good hands, and raw milk can lead to many illnesses that are very preventable.

Very funny some of you are voting yes who have also said that parents who don't give their children vaccines is child abuse. The diseases caused by raw milk can be prevented if we don't allow it here.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »

One of the roles of government is to make sure that the health of the public is in good hands, and raw milk can lead to many illnesses that are very preventable.
It should be illegal to drink at home, from your own cow?

Very funny some of you are voting yes who have also said that parents who don't give their children vaccines is child abuse. The diseases caused by raw milk can be prevented if we don't allow it here.
False equivalence is false. Not vaccinating your child endangers others. Drinking raw milk only endangers yourself. What I find more hypocritical is that you’re willing to ban raw milk, yet support marijuana legalization.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »

False equivalence is false. Not vaccinating your child endangers others. Drinking raw milk only endangers yourself. What I find more hypocritical is that you’re willing to ban raw milk, yet support marijuana legalization.

Is anyone saying that possession of raw milk should be a crime?  I don't think so.  The question is how you regulate what is sold to the public.  You can't very well put something on a store's shelves if it is likely to contain e coli or salmonella. 
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »

AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 03:26:54 PM »

Government can't stop people from drinking it, but should they stop companies from selling it?

Seems like agricultural cooperatives are a decent compromise.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »

Yes, although I'd also be fine with mandating that a large skull and crossbones be included on the label.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »

No (D/G)

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 05:53:56 PM »

Only for cheese-making -- and given the US food industry's near incapacity for self-regulation, even this might pose too much risk to consumers.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 07:27:22 PM »

No.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 07:58:27 PM »

It should be illegal for the use/sale of raw milk.

False equivalence is false. Not vaccinating your child endangers others. Drinking raw milk only endangers yourself.

So I guess let's let people die because it doesn't affect anyone else.

What I find more hypocritical is that you’re willing to ban raw milk, yet support marijuana legalization.

Raw milk can lead to disease, marijuana doesn't. Raw milk can lead to death, marijuana doesn't. Marijuana just gives you the munchies.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 10:20:01 PM »

I couldn't care less if someone wants to buy raw milk and consume it themselves. So long as they know it's raw, I don't see what the problem is.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 12:04:36 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2014, 12:09:05 AM by ChairmanSanchez »

False equivalence is false. Not vaccinating your child endangers others. Drinking raw milk only endangers yourself.

What I find more hypocritical is that you’re willing to ban raw milk, yet support marijuana legalization.

Raw milk can lead to disease, marijuana doesn't. Raw milk can lead to death, marijuana doesn't. Marijuana just gives you the munchies.
Marijuana can lead to accidents, much like drinking can. So yes, it can kill, though not in the direct sense that raw milk might be capable of. Raw milk does not cause contagious diseases, and is not a threat to others, however. That only endangers the individual, many of whom drink it for health reasons. I really find it hilarious that you seriously support legalizing something you enjoy (and I am also in favor of legal marijuana, of course) but don't want to extend the same rights to individual farmers because you apparently know what is better for them. This is the height of arrogance.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 12:07:34 AM »

Marijuana can lead to accidents, much like drinking can. Raw milk does not cause contagious diseases,  and is not a threat to others. I really find it hilarious that you seriously support legalizing something you enjoy but don't want to extend the same rights to individual farmers because you apparently know what is better for them.

Is that a fact?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 12:14:21 AM »

Marijuana can lead to accidents, much like drinking can. Raw milk does not cause contagious diseases,  and is not a threat to others. I really find it hilarious that you seriously support legalizing something you enjoy but don't want to extend the same rights to individual farmers because you apparently know what is better for them.

Is that a fact?
Since when did salmonella become contagious, Dr. Frodo?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 12:16:51 AM »

Is that a fact?
Since when did salmonella become contagious, Dr. Frodo?

Since when was tuberculosis wasn't, Dr. Sanchez? 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 12:20:34 AM »

And to answer the poll, absolutely not.  There are no benefits to raw milk that you cannot get from your regular pasteurized milk, and instead you get all the downsides that pasteurization was intended to prevent.  

I will gladly take the CDC's word over some internet know-it-all. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies