Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:55:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation  (Read 7951 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 05:33:58 AM »

Yeah, it would be nice to see the people who care so deeply about these issues have the same reaction toward the billionaires who donate in favor of tax cuts, medicare privatization or stuff like that.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 05:38:32 AM »

What is wrong with making a donation to Ron Paul?

While it has not been a major part of his issue set, Paul has been anti-net neutrality, which likely puts him against the majority of Mozilla stakeholders on this issue.  Tho, I don't know if Mozilla per se took a stance since for what they do, net neutrality does not affect their operations.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2014, 05:41:33 AM »

I don't know why the left is apparently okay with McCarthyism
Anyway, excellent news! The market's at work! On a personal note, I'm glad this happened, since I use Firefox and now won't have to switch to Chrome. Smiley
Are you serious? You were actually going to switch to Chrome because of this? I have no opinion of the fact that this CEO was fired, but that's just ridiculous, for so many reasons.
I suspect there will be those who will switch from Firefox to another browser over this, either because of their views on SSM or their views on free speech.  (Far more over the former than the latter.)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2014, 07:58:48 AM »

as it is... there's not really a good case. especially considering that he was part of a large majority. tens of millions of americans have changed their views since then -- do we even know he's not one of them?

Yes, we do. In the week following the discovery, he said he still felt the same way about same-sex marriage and did not regret his funding. The most he would say was to apologize for pain people felt in response to learning about his donation.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2014, 08:06:29 AM »

I don't know why the left is apparently okay with McCarthyism
Anyway, excellent news! The market's at work! On a personal note, I'm glad this happened, since I use Firefox and now won't have to switch to Chrome. Smiley
Are you serious? You were actually going to switch to Chrome because of this? I have no opinion of the fact that this CEO was fired, but that's just ridiculous, for so many reasons.

ITT: Yellow avatar scoffs at a free market success story because reasons.

ITT: Harry fails to understand the difference between legal and good.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »

as it is... there's not really a good case. especially considering that he was part of a large majority. tens of millions of americans have changed their views since then -- do we even know he's not one of them?

Yes, we do. In the week following the discovery, he said he still felt the same way about same-sex marriage and did not regret his funding. The most he would say was to apologize for pain people felt in response to learning about his donation.

oh, ok.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »

It feels like now that gay marriage in the courts is pretty much assured in the next few years, some folks are looking for new things to do on the gay rights front, so the slacktivists among them come up with stuff like this since forcing someone from the cool kids table doesn't require much real thought and effort.

I know, that damn free market, always screwing things up for the Republicans.

I don't know what that has to do with what I said, but two more notes and you'd have a chord.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »

Yeah, it would be nice to see the people who care so deeply about these issues have the same reaction toward the billionaires who donate in favor of tax cuts, medicare privatization or stuff like that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2014, 11:24:33 AM »

I understand that those who tried to pressure him out of the job justify it by saying that this is more than just a run of the mill political issue, it's about basic equality.  But OTOH, there are plenty of other political issues that are literally about life and death.  Why not investigate every CEO's political statements and political donations on abortion, capital punishment, drone warfare, the US intervention in Libya, etc., and then organize boycotts of the companies whose CEO has the incorrect position on one or more of those issues?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2014, 11:29:12 AM »

I understand that those who tried to pressure him out of the job justify it by saying that this is more than just a run of the mill political issue, it's about basic equality.  But OTOH, there are plenty of other political issues that are literally about life and death.  Why not investigate every CEO's political statements and political donations on abortion, capital punishment, drone warfare, the US intervention in Libya, etc., and then organize boycotts of the companies whose CEO has the incorrect position on one or more of those issues?

Exactly. Or, as I said earlier, why not form a lynch mob against any CEO who donated to (gay marriage opponent) Mitt Romney? Would we have any left?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »

To me, the differences comes down to creating a tolerant work environment.  If the boss has some position that a group of employees do not deserve equal rights, it's just problematic.  If someone says women shouldn't be able to vote or black people shouldn't be able to serve on a jury, can they really effectively manage an organization including women and black folk?  As any kind of organization, you need some type of norms of respect for each individual.  There at some level is going to be a clash between a tolerant environment of gay people and tolerance of homophobic and intolerance.  Unlike political issues, these types of civil rights issues are always going to matter in the workplace.

The question to me is whether opposing SSM is so heinous and disruptive to a good workplace environment that this was merited.  I would say no.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2014, 11:48:07 AM »

Class is not an immutable social characteristic. You can go from poor to middle class or poor to rich (even though it is getting much harder to do so). You can't go from gay to straight or vice versa (despite right-wing nutjobs and "ex-gays" who re-entered the closet who may claim otherwise). To be an anti-gay CEO is the same as being a racist CEO, you are seeing many of your employees as lesser people for a part of who they are that they can't change. And not only is that his PERSONAL viewpoint, he VOTED and DONATED in order to codify his bigotry into law. If they're an anti-poor CEO, that's still horrible, but at least poor isn't something that defines who you are and can be changed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »

To me, the differences comes down to creating a tolerant work environment.  If the boss has some position that a group of employees do not deserve equal rights, it's just problematic.  If someone says women shouldn't be able to vote or black people shouldn't be able to serve on a jury, can they really effectively manage an organization including women and black folk?  As any kind of organization, you need some type of norms of respect for each individual.  There at some level is going to be a clash between a tolerant environment of gay people and tolerance of homophobic and intolerance.  Unlike political issues, these types of civil rights issues are always going to matter in the workplace.

The question to me is whether opposing SSM is so heinous and disruptive to a good workplace environment that this was merited.  I would say no.

"Oh come on you gays, of course I'm a supporter of gay rights and all, but it's not THAT big of a deal you can't get married and can get fired for being gay! Just sit down, shut up, and wait for the level of support to become ~80-90% so we milquetoast straight people can finally hand you your civil rights."
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »

after reading the feedback, i've fully changed my mind and support mozilla's decision wholeheartedly.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2014, 12:58:23 PM »

This only became much of a story once he had already resigned, so I'm inclined to believe it was in fact a predominately internal struggle.

Some employees found out their boss doesn't think that they or their friends and family are human beings, and were not happy. What a shocker.

Spare me these claims of McCarthyism. The religious right started this war and now that they are losing they're crying victim. Boohoo. Roll Eyes
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with intolerance of intolerant views.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »

This only became much of a story once he had already resigned, so I'm inclined to believe it was in fact a predominately internal struggle.

Some employees found out their boss doesn't think that they or their friends and family are human beings, and were not happy. What a shocker.

Spare me these claims of McCarthyism. The religious right started this war and now that they are losing they're crying victim. Boohoo. Roll Eyes

The religious right hardly 'started this war'. In fact, given that they religious right was defending the status quo and the gay rights movement was clamouring to change it, then I'd argue that it was actually the latter that started this... war as you call it.

I don't see anything wrong with intolerance of intolerant views.

Yeah, but on the other hand who acts as the ultimate arbiter of what 'intolerance' is. God? The state? I mean, on this particular issue, it was the decision of the business whether to sack this executive or not; I mean, I'm not a stakeholder in this company so its not really for me to comment. But, on the other hand, has this CEO really shown himself to be intolerant of gays. I mean, I'm sure he's come across a few, and, I can't judge on this since I don't know the man, but there doesn't seem to actually be any evidence, other than this, that he 'hates' gays, or whatever it is you people like to say about anti-SSM types. Personally, I doubt it, since I find it difficult to imagine that he'd have advanced this far in the company if he'd taken such an openly hostile position. I may be wrong. Again, it's a business decision, and it isn't illegal, so they're well within their rights to do what they have done.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »

Whenever a government takes some kind of "liberal" action the Right whines and cries and moans and says things like, "I wouldn't care if it was companies doing this on their own; I just don't like the government forcing them. Why can't we just let the free market take of this?"

But when the free market accomplishes something "liberal" like this they still aren't happy. We saw it with the Episcopal Church earlier this decade, we saw it with the Boy Scouts last year, and we're seeing it with Mozilla now. I wish the Right would stop being so disingenuous when they are preaching the free market's virtues.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »

Whenever a government takes some kind of "liberal" action the Right whines and cries and moans and says things like, "I wouldn't care if it was companies doing this on their own; I just don't like the government forcing them. Why can't we just let the free market take of this?"

But when the free market accomplishes something "liberal" like this they still aren't happy. We saw it with the Boy Scouts last year and we're seeing it with Mozilla this year. I wish the Right would stop being so disingenuous when they are preaching the free market's virtues.

youre making yourself look like a person all crazy
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2014, 01:49:34 PM by AggregateDemand »

To me, the differences comes down to creating a tolerant work environment.  If the boss has some position that a group of employees do not deserve equal rights, it's just problematic.

You can't jump to that conclusion for the same reason right-wingers cannot assume that proponents of government expansion are supporters of communism. The SSM debate is just modern day McCarthyism run amok.

The lack of Equal Protection in relationship contract law affects everyone who is not married. Gays are a tiny subset of the affected population, but Democrats exploit gays because they offer more political capital than other unmarried demographics.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2014, 01:33:32 PM »

To me, the differences comes down to creating a tolerant work environment.  If the boss has some position that a group of employees do not deserve equal rights, it's just problematic. 

You can't jump to that conclusion for the same reason right-wingers cannot assume that proponents of government expansion are supporters of communism. The SSM debate is just modern day McCarthyism run amok.

The lack of Equal Protection in relationship contract law affects everyone who is not married. Gay are a tiny subset of the affected population, but Democrats exploit gays because they offer more political capital than other unmarried demographics.

Can we please ban the word "McCarthyism" until people learn what it means?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »

ITT thread has turned into upper-middle class sheltered white kids itching for an excuse to call each other "bigots" and "authoritarians."
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »

wtf else do you call someone who spends his money on amending the law to take rights away from a discriminated-against group of people??
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2014, 02:09:33 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2014, 04:27:44 PM by Ready For Hoover '28! »

wtf else do you call someone who spends his money on amending the law to take rights away from a discriminated-against group of people??

I'm just taking the proper moderate hero position on the logical development of this thread.  And yes, I think almost everyone here agrees that old fatass guy who was CEO of so and so company is a bigot.  My barb was at the two sides in this thread who both come in here just wanting the sexual high they get from throwing labels at somebody over a political pundit article rather than discuss things that matter like how did NC-05 vote in 1972.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2014, 03:02:08 PM »

Pertinent question:

What kind of person attempts to improve the quality of life for homosexuals by giving them access to dying heterosexual relationship regulations?

An intelligent progressive understands that the problem applies to all non-married people; therefore, reform is part of a populist agenda, not special-interest-victim politics.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies