Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:01:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation  (Read 7986 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »

I guess he's a fired fox now.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 09:13:02 PM »

Capitalism is on balance far more immoral than homophobia.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 09:22:10 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 09:29:32 PM »

Homosexuals can be married (to members of the opposite sex), which further illustrates the abundant lack of bigotry from an intellectual standpoint.

Oh wait, I remember you!  You're the guy who criticized evolution by asking how animals could have been domesticated, right?  Haha, yeah.  We definitely needed another R-TX around here for the laughs.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

Please stop with your penny-dreadful attempts at metaphor.

Marriage is a voluntary contract, not a immutable genetic characteristic. Homosexuals can be married (to members of the opposite sex), which further illustrates the abundant lack of bigotry from an intellectual standpoint. The problem is lack of relationship privileges for all unmarried individuals, not just homosexual couples.

If you want to make specious incendiary arguments, you'll need to find a forum for complete idiots.

So in order to rebut the analogy between racism and homophobia you're going to frame your argument basically verbatim the way supporters of miscegenation laws did back in the day? Trolltastic!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 09:49:55 PM »

It's funny that some of the members of this lynch mob demand that Congress pass the so called 'Employment Non Discrimination Act'.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 09:52:17 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »

It feels like now that gay marriage in the courts is pretty much assured in the next few years, some folks are looking for new things to do on the gay rights front, so the slacktivists among them come up with stuff like this since forcing someone from the cool kids table doesn't require much real thought and effort.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2014, 09:56:24 PM »

It feels like now that gay marriage in the courts is pretty much assured in the next few years, some folks are looking for new things to do on the gay rights front, so the slacktivists among them come up with stuff like this since forcing someone from the cool kids table doesn't require much real thought and effort.

I know, that damn free market, always screwing things up for the Republicans.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2014, 10:05:44 PM »

From what I've been hearing, the workers wanted this guy out as well, for similar reasons. And what I've been hearing implies that the employees were the prime factor in forcing him out. So you could say that it's a victory for workers.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 10:44:35 PM »

Oh wait, I remember you!  You're the guy who criticized evolution by asking how animals could have been domesticated, right?  Haha, yeah.  We definitely needed another R-TX around here for the laughs.

If the purpose of R-TX is to explain the construct of artificial selection to evolutionists, you'll need as many of us as you can find.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2014, 10:53:05 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2014, 10:56:11 PM by AggregateDemand »

So in order to rebut the analogy between racism and homophobia you're going to frame your argument basically verbatim the way supporters of miscegenation laws did back in the day? Trolltastic!

Of course. Because this is clearly a conversation about the rights of heterosexual-homosexual partners to intermarry and the rights of their half-gay offspring.

People have told me that socially-conscious lefties are the second dumbest demographic, after poor religious-fundamentalists. I'm beginning to believe them.

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2014, 11:04:59 PM »

Of course. Because this is clearly a conversation about the rights of heterosexual-homosexual partners to intermarry and the rights of their half-gay offspring.

People have told me that socially-conscious lefties are the second dumbest demographic, after poor religious-fundamentalists. I'm beginning to believe them.

You, arguing that gay marriage bans aren't bigoted because homosexuals are free under the law to get married to people of the opposite sex just as heterosexuals are:
Marriage is a voluntary contract, not a immutable genetic characteristic. Homosexuals can be married (to members of the opposite sex), which further illustrates the abundant lack of bigotry from an intellectual standpoint.

The state of Virginia's argument that its ban on interracial marriage isn't bigoted because blacks are free to marry just like white people are in Loving v. Virginia:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2014, 11:05:49 PM »

All right, all right.  Joke's over.  Whose sock are you?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2014, 11:10:51 PM »

I think we have to remember that in a post-Citizens America, money=speech.

By donating to a campaign in support of Proposition 8, Eich was engaging in behavior that was equivalent to if he went to a public rally and gave a speech declaring he believes same-sex couples should not be allowed to marry.

I don't think that in and of itself is a problem and I certainly don't think he or anyone else should be allowed to be fired by their employer for expressing their personal views through speech or through speech-equivalent money.

Obviously, for 99% of Americans, this isn't an issue. Hardly anyone donates money to candidates or campaigns and an even smaller portion give a large enough amount that it has to be publicly disclosed.

If Eich were fired by Mozilla, that would be just as wrong as if Chick-fil-A fired an hourly employee for going to a gay rights rally on their own time.

But let's remember also that CEOs are not like other employees. They play a different role, have an outsized salary and benefits to go along with that role and ought to be subject to a different set of standards by virtue of their role as the de facto public face of the company.

Eich was right to resign because as an open and avowed anti-gay individual (there really is no other way to describe someone who refuses to allow LGBT people the same rights as everyone else in the year 2014 - they are anti-gay, pure and simple) he would not have been able to present the sort of tolerant, forward-looking image that Mozilla and other technology companies strive to present to the public. If you can't do your job effectively, you need to find a different job. That is the crucial difference. If he was simply some faceless developer, it should be a non-issue. If he was an intern answering the phone, it should be a non-issue.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2014, 11:12:08 PM »

I don't know why the left is apparently okay with McCarthyism

You use that word, but I don't think you know what it means. Please explain to me how people using their free speech to protest against a company whose CEO supported bigotry is in any way comparable to "McCarthyism". Would you be similarly indignant if the CEO donated to groups that tried to keep interracial marriage banned? I highly doubt it. And because of that, you reveal you place gay rights on a lower level on the totem pole than you do civil rights for other groups. "Well, if you're bigots to this group, that's horrible and you're a horrible person, NO EXCEPTIONS. But if you're bigots to THIS group, well, I respectfully disagree with your opinion, but you have the right to it and it is a very reasonable view!" This isn't surprising coming from Sullivan, a self hating gay who supported Dubya of all people.

Anyway, excellent news! The market's at work! On a personal note, I'm glad this happened, since I use Firefox and now won't have to switch to Chrome. Smiley
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 11:16:06 PM »

Anyway, excellent news! The market's at work! On a personal note, I'm glad this happened, since I use Firefox and now won't have to switch to Chrome. Smiley
Are you serious? You were actually going to switch to Chrome because of this? I have no opinion of the fact that this CEO was fired, but that's just ridiculous, for so many reasons.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2014, 11:24:14 PM »

Are you serious? You were actually going to switch to Chrome because of this? I have no opinion of the fact that this CEO was fired, but that's just ridiculous, for so many reasons.

Huh? Isn't that the exact reasoning libertarians use for why we don't need anti-employment discrimination laws? That being, the consumers will respond to the bigotry of the company by boycotting it and driving it out of business the "natural way"? I'd think a true libertarian would be proud of that.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2014, 11:29:05 PM »

So, thinking that the free market is overall the most efficient economic system means that you must agree with every single decision that every company ever makes? Roll Eyes
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2014, 11:56:59 PM »

ITT: Yellow avatar scoffs at a free market success story because reasons.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 12:01:26 AM »

I don't agree with looking for people to persecute in this way but since the decision was made internally and there was no coercion by government or anything of that nature, there's not really anything that can be done. This is beating a dead horse and I feel actually feel sorry for that fellow.

So, thinking that the free market is overall the most efficient economic system means that you must agree with every single decision that every company ever makes? Roll Eyes

But isn't this exactly how a small-government conservative or libertarian would want this thing handled? Consumers bring something to attention, threaten a boycott and then the company makes a decision based on that. It's the most conservative possible situation with no government involvement.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2014, 12:16:27 AM »

But isn't this exactly how a small-government conservative or libertarian would want this thing handled? Consumers bring something to attention, threaten a boycott and then the company makes a decision based on that. It's the most conservative possible situation with no government involvement.

Yes, you would be correct. As far as I know, no Republicans or Libertarians are arguing that Mozilla shouldn't be allowed to fire him. They are simply saying that they disagree with the decision.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2014, 12:35:43 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2014, 12:41:39 AM by AggregateDemand »

You, arguing that gay marriage bans aren't bigoted because homosexuals are free under the law to get married to people of the opposite sex just as heterosexuals are

Marriage law is not bigoted. It is intended to regulate people who share community property and who produce biological offspring. Over the years, married people have been given quite a few special privileges in the name of parenthood. These special privileges have created an Equal Protection crisis for all unmarried individuals. Gay marriage is a small part of a much bigger issue. Our modern regulatory problems have not transformed marriage into an inherently bigoted, anti-gay institution.

The state of Virginia's argument that its ban on interracial marriage isn't bigoted because blacks are free to marry just like white people are in Loving v. Virginia:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Legally-speaking, it was a good argument. Unfortunately for the bigots, it was not a correct argument. Genetic diversity is an imperative for producing biological offspring. Also, Virginia could not have created an effective legal method for defining "white" and "black". The anti-interracial laws were appearance-based, unenforceable, and designed to prevent people of different races from being together and producing biological children.

The implication of your post was that I'm using a bigoted legal defense; therefore, I must have a bigot's agenda. A legal defense is not inherently bigoted, and the rest of your implied point was a non-sequitur since the subject matter is different. Furthermore, the US is not particularly hostile to gays so the lack of gay marriage does not exclude the possibility of Equal Protection. There is no reason to assume that any private citizens, other than the Westboro-Baptist-types, are acting out of malice.

Anyway, the real bigots are the people in DC, who don't want to lose revenue by giving married tax benefits to all single people. Follow the money.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 12:41:11 AM »

If the purpose of R-TX is to explain the construct of artificial selection to evolutionists, you'll need as many of us as you can find.

Is artificial selection not a concept of which people are aware?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 04:18:22 AM »

i'm a big believer in giving people a chance. if the guy were already using his position as mozilla's ceo to gay-bash, yeah, that would be something to be upset about (to fire him about? i don't know... although i probably would have boycotted)

as it is... there's not really a good case. especially considering that he was part of a large majority. tens of millions of americans have changed their views since then -- do we even know he's not one of them?

that said -- there's definitely a part of me that is gleefully gloating about the fact that the tables have turned and that the days of popular campaigns forcing companies to be less gsm-friendly are likely dead and gone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies