Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:11:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation  (Read 8026 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: April 06, 2014, 07:58:48 AM »

as it is... there's not really a good case. especially considering that he was part of a large majority. tens of millions of americans have changed their views since then -- do we even know he's not one of them?

Yes, we do. In the week following the discovery, he said he still felt the same way about same-sex marriage and did not regret his funding. The most he would say was to apologize for pain people felt in response to learning about his donation.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »

Am I wrong that this was almost entirely an issue driven by people internal to Mozilla, and not the "gay rights" bogeyman? The only external issue I saw was OKCupid's protest page. After that, I've read a lot about Mozilla's culture of openness, social activism, etc. and how Eich was a bad fit and not popular even before the Prop 8 issue arose.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »

How long do you people think it will take this guy to find a new job? A few month a year?

Some company that wants a spike in sales will hire him immediately. Just look at Chick-fil-A and Duck Dynasty, both of which were almost certainly intentional media ploys to get right-wing Christians to buy their stuff. Both worked beautifully.

It looked like it was going to be that way for Duck Dynasty, and maybe sales of duck calls went up, but their tv show returned from hiatus to a big drop in ratings. That surprised me because I expected watching Duck Dynasty to become a form of political activism.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:44:26 AM »

His views on gay marriage are irrelevant to the job. I couldn't care less what they are. The only thing I have to say about the outcome is that anyone who would actually boycott a company over this has too much time on their hands. Maybe they should focus their time on something a little more non-trivial.

The pressure against Eich was internal, but that said, boycotting a browser is one of the least time-consuming acts I can imagine. All you have to do is switch to Chrome and maybe post that you're boycotting. Just a few minutes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies