Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:05:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation  (Read 8027 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: April 05, 2014, 05:57:25 PM »

Would a CEO be fired if it came out that he had donated to a group that advocated treating non-whites like second class citizens, even if he had done it 6 years ago? At virtually ever company in America, the answer is yes.

This is the free market at work. Republicans should be loving it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »

Mozilla has the right to fire whomever they like for whatever reason they please, though I find the marriage equality movement (which I of course support) distasteful at times (see Chick-Fil-A) and this is one of the reasons why.

Wait, what?  Chick-fil-A had the best business day in their entire history when all the fatass rednecks in the South waited over an hour for some greasy fast food just to stick it to Obama and all those libruls (as if they cared). To this day, right-wing Christians really think they're doing something by packing out Chick-fil-A. If anyone is embarrassing or "distasteful," it's all of those idiots.

Making anti-gay marriage statements was a brilliant business ploy for Chick-fil-A, gaining them many more customers than they lost (hell, I still eat there once a month or so). If I owned a restaurant, I'd probably make some statements like that too just to get business.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2014, 08:04:44 PM by Harry »

Oakvale is just totally right- I really cannot add anything he hasn't said. The intolerance of some for dissenting opinions is alarming.

Would you feel the same way if the CEO had donated to segregationist causes?

Remember, it's not the government who did this. This is pure free market, which Republicans worship when it's convenient.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 07:58:19 PM »

It's sad because we don't know why he supported Prop 8.

Some supporters were bigots who wanted to marginalize gays. Other supporters weren't convinced that an institution with centuries of ingrained heterosexual bias would work seamlessly for gays. Another faction was merely expressing their belief that marriage is a religious tenet and should be defined by the church.

People always assume the worst, and that's where the problems begin.

It's sad because we don't know why _____ supported Jim Crow.

Some supporters were bigots who wanted to marginalize blacks. Other supporters weren't convinced that an institution with centuries of ingrained Caucasian bias would work seamlessly for blacks. Another faction was merely expressing their belief that racial equality or lack thereof is a religious tenet and should be defined by the church.

People always assume the worst, and that's where the problems begin.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:56:24 PM »

It feels like now that gay marriage in the courts is pretty much assured in the next few years, some folks are looking for new things to do on the gay rights front, so the slacktivists among them come up with stuff like this since forcing someone from the cool kids table doesn't require much real thought and effort.

I know, that damn free market, always screwing things up for the Republicans.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 11:56:59 PM »

I don't know why the left is apparently okay with McCarthyism
Anyway, excellent news! The market's at work! On a personal note, I'm glad this happened, since I use Firefox and now won't have to switch to Chrome. Smiley
Are you serious? You were actually going to switch to Chrome because of this? I have no opinion of the fact that this CEO was fired, but that's just ridiculous, for so many reasons.

ITT: Yellow avatar scoffs at a free market success story because reasons.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »

Whenever a government takes some kind of "liberal" action the Right whines and cries and moans and says things like, "I wouldn't care if it was companies doing this on their own; I just don't like the government forcing them. Why can't we just let the free market take of this?"

But when the free market accomplishes something "liberal" like this they still aren't happy. We saw it with the Episcopal Church earlier this decade, we saw it with the Boy Scouts last year, and we're seeing it with Mozilla now. I wish the Right would stop being so disingenuous when they are preaching the free market's virtues.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 07:03:31 PM »

How long do you people think it will take this guy to find a new job? A few month a year?

Some company that wants a spike in sales will hire him immediately. Just look at Chick-fil-A and Duck Dynasty, both of which were almost certainly intentional media ploys to get right-wing Christians to buy their stuff. Both worked beautifully.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies