Which kitchen would you prefer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:38:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which kitchen would you prefer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: It's your choose.
The "fancy" one

The functional one

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Which kitchen would you prefer?  (Read 710 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:42:07 PM »

Obviously the second one, if only for the two very convenient hand towels.  Tons of reasons well beyond that.  Look how much time it would take to even prepare one meal/clean the dishes in the fancy one!  One thing left out would defeat the purpose.  I'm sure the dish pile in the sink could become quite high before looking unsightly in the functional one.  In the functional one, the skillet is left permanently on the stove with the olive oil in arm's reach, because why do you really need it anywhere else?  You would have breakfast done in the functional kitchen before you even remembered where the pans are located in the fancy one.  

And I've not even touched on giving a space personality....

EDIT: AND LOOK HOW UNCOMFORTABLE THOSE STOOLS MUST BE!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »

Option 2 (not a class enemy)
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »

Option 1
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:38:54 PM »

Option 2 isn't functionnal, it's cramped and seems to lack storage (the working space is an overcrowded mess).

Option 1 can be improved by moving things if you want a skillet on the stove, you can put it there, you know? Same thing for olive oil.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »

Option 2 looks worse than it is, though I prefer smaller houses and spaces. Reminds me of my Aunt and Uncle's kitchen (and our old one, though my parents rebuilt it about two years ago into something similar to Option 1, with less fancy but still shiny appliances).
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 09:56:29 PM »

The second one is used by a Giants fan so we could talk about the DRC signing while we cook dinner, so that's nice.  But, I have to go with the second one because my current kitchen is like 20 sq ft. and having a ton of space seems awesome.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »

Obviously I prefer a kitchen that is lived in and not just for show- all those fancy appliances and granite countertops inevitably never get used to make actual food.  So Option 2 it is.

Just one nitpick though- those stools do seem pretty nice.  Not gonna lie.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »

Good job! I didn't pick up on your use of parody until your comment about those stools with the thick cushions, as being uncomfortable. I should have realised earlier, in hindsight, describing cramped as "functional" should have been something of a giveaway, especially when the first kitchen has so much prepatory space, and also your reference to a cluttered pile of unwashed dishes in the sink as something desirable, rather than as a hygiene issue.

The microwave in the second picture is also a safety hazard - completely insane to heat, for example, a bowl of soup in the microwave - and then burn your fingers and let go of the bowl... while it is over your head.

As for the skillet and olive oil, as MaxQue said - the olive oil is probably in the cupboard next to the stove, and the skillet is probably in the deep drawer below the stove top. That other kitchen is so cluttered it would be a challenge finding anything. The neat order of the first kitchen is much easier to navigate.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »

As for the skillet and olive oil, as MaxQue said - the olive oil is probably in the cupboard next to the stove, and the skillet is probably in the deep drawer below the stove top.

I know many people who hide the skillet into the oven (and they remove it when they use the oven, obviously).
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 12:11:49 AM »

As for the skillet and olive oil, as MaxQue said - the olive oil is probably in the cupboard next to the stove, and the skillet is probably in the deep drawer below the stove top.

I know many people who hide the skillet into the oven (and they remove it when they use the oven, obviously).

Actually, now you mention it, my mother was the same, just with baking trays, rather than the skillet. Also handy for drying those trays, if the oven is still warm at the time of doing the dishes.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 06:49:33 PM »

The microwave in the second picture is also a safety hazard - completely insane to heat, for example, a bowl of soup in the microwave - and then burn your fingers and let go of the bowl... while it is over your head.

Have you ever heard of potholders?  Or for that matter giving what you've nuked a little time to cool and have the heat be more even?  If one is tall enough (and I am) microvents are a good option.  The "functional" kitchen is being badly used in that photo, but if things were properly put away, (it doesn't look like it has that much less storage space than the fancy kitchen) it would work reasonably well.

In any case, ideally I'd want option 3, a somewhat larger kitchen than option 2, but one not quite so ostentatious and wasteful of space as option 1.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »

I'm the sort of person who looks askance at people who treat the kitchen as a social space (my family included) and would rather eat in the dining room. I cringe at seeing exceptionally fancy and open kitchens- if I were to design a house the kitchen would be stuffed into some back corner or side wing. I might actually go for the second, then, but the catch is the dining room looks like this:

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »

Do both kitchens have hardwood floors? How strange.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »

Good job! I didn't pick up on your use of parody until your comment about those stools with the thick cushions, as being uncomfortable. I should have realised earlier, in hindsight, describing cramped as "functional" should have been something of a giveaway, especially when the first kitchen has so much prepatory space, and also your reference to a cluttered pile of unwashed dishes in the sink as something desirable, rather than as a hygiene issue.

As for the skillet and olive oil, as MaxQue said - the olive oil is probably in the cupboard next to the stove, and the skillet is probably in the deep drawer below the stove top. That other kitchen is so cluttered it would be a challenge finding anything. The neat order of the first kitchen is much easier to navigate.

What is it like being awful ?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »

The functional one (option 1, normal)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »

The knobs are certainly awful in option one but still, option two is pretty gross.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 09:57:29 PM »

Well, really, for holiday outings and feasts, Option 1 kitchen is quite functional. Tongue

Counter space, people - there can never, ever be too much counter space. I have a relative who has a kitchen like #1 and I have a relative who has a kitchen with less counter space than #2 (although this relative also has an utterly massive living room and huge master bedroom in a house with really unevenly sized rooms), and guess who is most satisfied with their kitchen? Relative who has a kitchen like Option 1, yes.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 09:52:07 PM »

My apologies, I didn't mean for you to take it that way. I didn't expect you to take my criticism of the second kitchen so personally. I'm sorry for any offence I caused.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 11:34:36 PM »

My apologies, I didn't mean for you to take it that way. I didn't expect you to take my criticism of the second kitchen so personally. I'm sorry for any offence I caused.

I'm led to believe than it's a picture of his kitchen.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 02:06:23 AM »

I'm led to believe than it's a picture of his kitchen.

Ah, I guess that makes sense, I hadn't realised. I'd assumed they were just two pictures posted off the internet. The initial post read to me like an "I'm so humble" boast, as in "I'm so humble, such a good little social democrat. I wouldn't want to live in this mansion, even if it was offered to me", which is very easy to say when no one is offering it to you. It just felt a bit contrived.

Given that it's actually his place, there is a real virtue in being satisfied in your own belongings, without constantly being jealous of what others have.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 02:11:26 AM »

I don't think HockeyDude's kitchen is featured on a NYC hipster site. And I believe he likes the Eagles, not the Giants.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 02:18:39 AM »

I think my favorite aspect of the second kitchen is the absence of a holder for the paper towels.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 04:47:40 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2014, 05:01:56 AM by Tik: Suppository of All Wisdom »

Option 1, of course. There's nothing "wrong" with number 2 - it's closer to my own kitchen (that I'm used to but don't like particularly because there's not enough storage area or bench space). And there's nothing wrong with liking option 1, either. It's appealing to me aesthetically and I think the judgments about its worse functionality are silly. If you've got that much space, you've got room to change things.

And look, I would feel more comfortable and at ease in a spacious, sleek kitchen. Not because it's fancy or looks expensive - the feel of the area is more open and natural to me. The latter kitchen makes me feel trapped and bogged in. At least put a window somewhere..

Actually, checking out the images again, 1 isn't really ideal either. I'd rather...

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 05:17:12 AM »

I'm the sort of person who looks askance at people who treat the kitchen as a social space (my family included) and would rather eat in the dining room. I cringe at seeing exceptionally fancy and open kitchens- if I were to design a house the kitchen would be stuffed into some back corner or side wing. I might actually go for the second, then, but the catch is the dining room looks like this:

While I can, on some level, appreciate the fine details and craftsmanship and feel of a space like this, I mostly find it way too busy for the eyes. It's distracting and ..gaudy. Certainly you'd feel like a dapper gentleman sitting there sipping fine wine and nibbling on whatever, but after a few months I'd probably be content to have a beer and kebab on the balcony of a hotel room.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 05:46:45 AM »

I don't like either. Option 1 is nice, but there's too much white and I don't like white kitchens. I also don't like that style of refrigerator where the freezer is on the bottom. My preference is for the side-by-side model that has a water/ice dispenser (the one in Tik's post above looks very nice). The location of the microwaves in both aren't good at all (I'm not exactly sure where it is in the first kitchen). Ideally, the microwave should not be placed higher than at the counter.

I'd rather take option 1 and make it more modern and functional.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies