FaceBook password
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:25:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  FaceBook password
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FaceBook password  (Read 1841 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »

I've lost my log-in information.... what is the best way to re-set these or find out what they were in the first place???

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 03:35:11 PM »

Can't say for certain, since I don't use Facebook, but most internet services will provide an option to recover your account if you still have access to the email address you provided them upon signing up.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »

itle1234
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/login/identify?ctx=recover
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »

I've lost my log-in information....

hahaha.  Been there.  Done that. 

Next time you read a TIME magazine article that says that facebook has six billion users, remember that you have at least five accounts.  I probably have created at least seven of them.

Just start again.  No one will hold it against you.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »

Yes, this is the way to get your password back.

I would not listen to angus.  I find it terribly annoying when the same person friends me over and over and over again with different accounts, because it makes it more difficult to determine which account is live (especially in group messages, where you're just typing a name and selecting one--especially if the person has used the same profile picture).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2014, 07:26:17 PM by angus »

You don't listen to anyone.  We all know that.  But if you can't remember your password or the email account that you created just for the purpose of creating the account, or you don't have that email account any more for any of various reasons, then you can't get back in.  Relax, it's okay.  It allows facebook to claim yet another user.  Good for business, I suppose.

Clarence, once you do get back in (either because you created another account or because you managed to remember the email address you used when you created the original one) I suggest that you log into it on at least two computers and tell it to "remember" the password.  That's what I do.  Several computers at home, and one of them in my office always "remember" it.

Now, the US Election Atlas Forum is a little more forgiving, mostly because there's a human behind it.  I've gone away for months, and then got back and try to log on and find that I can't remember my password.  Then I realize that the email account that I used to create the US election atlas forum account ten years ago I haven't had in at least nine years.  So I just send an email off to Dave Leip directly.  I've done this twice in ten years, and both times he was gracious enough to assist me in the matter.  There may be a human face behind Facebook but I have never looked deep enough to find it.  That one never mattered as much.  Mostly it's just a place to share photos.  In fact, the only reason I created my account was to see photos of my middle-aged friends' children, and they use facebook to post them.  So I'd create the account just to see them, then a year later I'd have forgotten the password I used and no longer have that email account that I created just for that purpose, etc.  So I'd have to create a new account.  It's no big deal really, unless you're one of those persons who has stored thousands of photos on there.  In that case, you'd better hope that the email account you used when you set it up still exists.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »

You don't listen to anyone.  We all know that.  But if you can't remember your password or the email account that you created just for the purpose of creating the account, or you don't have that email account any more for any of various reasons, then you can't get back in.  Relax, it's okay.  It allows facebook to claim yet another user.  Good for business, I suppose.

Clarence, once you do get back in (either because you created another account or because you managed to remember the email address you used when you created the original one) I suggest that you log into it on at least three computers and tell it to "remember" the password.  That's what I do.

I listen to people quite often, actually; however, I'm not really sure how that is germane to the topic at hand.  I didn't intend to insult you with my post, so I'm sorry if that came off as harsh.  I was simply advising clarence that making a new account should be his last resort.

I was unaware of the fact that clarence lost both his email and password; from his post, it seems as if he just forgot his password.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 07:35:47 PM »

I was unaware of the fact that clarence lost both his email and password; from his post, it seems as if he just forgot his password.

Why would you make such an assumption?  Short of ageism, anyway? 

If it's just a matter of forgetting a password, then it's no different than his medical insurance or his Scottrade account or his bank account or his Amazon account.  He just provides the date that he grew his first pubic hair or had his first girl-snogging or whatever his security question is, and he checks his email account and ultimately gets to reset the account password.  Isn't your worldview large enough to allow you to suppose that even septuagenarians understand that?  The fact that he felt compelled to ask for advice here suggests to me that it is more catastrophic than that. 

I suppose that there's at least one humanoid running facebook.  If he can connect with that individual, speaking in that individual's preferred language, then he might be able to convince that individual to assist him in the recovery.  On this website it's not that difficult.  I'm not sure about facebook.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 07:45:14 PM »

Why would you make such an assumption?  Short of ageism, anyway?
How is it ageist for me to assume that he forgot his password, but not ageist for me to assume he forgot his password and email?  Wouldn't it be more likely to be ageist of me to assume that he forgot both, implicitly thinking that he commonly forgets things?  Lots of people forget passwords; less people forget email addresses.  It seems odd for you to assume that just because he's older, he must have forgotten both his password and his email address. Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The "I have no idea what I'm doing" dog image seemed to imply that he just didn't know what he was doing and needed help.  Had he have known how to recover his password by clicking "Forgot your password?", one could logically assume that he saw the "Forgot you password?" link.  One could also then logically assume that he could also see the "I can't identify my account" link and would have followed the advice there and recovered his account.

The fact that he has asked for help here, when that method should have worked, combined with his statement of "I have no idea what I'm doing", implies that he does not have an idea what he's doing, and his first method should be to simply reset his password if he indeed does have his email address.  If he does not, the "Forgot your password?" link will still lead him to the "I can't identify my account" link, where he will be able to recover everything.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »

It seems odd for you to assume that just because he's older, he must have forgotten both his password and his email address. Wink

ha!  Well played.

Still, I have to say that it has happened to me many times.  It wasn't so much "forgetting" an account.  You know how it is.  You use your email account to create some account.  Years later, when you're working somewhere else, you decide to go to that account--doesn't matter whether it's amazon, facebook, Dave Leip's US Election Atlas Forum, whatever--but you realize that the email that you used when you set up the account no longer exists, or you don't have access to that domain.  If it's Amazon or Facebook, who cares?  Just set up another account.  If it's Dave Leip's US Election Atlas Forum, though, then it's another story.  We're all pretty obsessive here.  Man, I gotta be able to access my ancient posts.  In that case, you just email Dave Leip.  

I can honestly admit that I have set up at least five facebook accounts.  I suspect that many others have as well.  Who cares?  It's no big deal.  Facebook wasn't intended to be a file storage repository anyway.  Hopefully people aren't using it for that purpose.  
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 08:00:17 PM »

Well there is a way to reset it without the email address.  He just needs to go to the link and put in his username (which I found for him, so PM me if you need help, clarence, and I can walk you through it privately).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 07:54:41 AM »

Make it something obvious, clarence, like "oldfart"
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 04:21:21 PM »

Thank you every one!!! I ended up locating it in a document I had saved a long time ago.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 06:55:46 PM »

Thank you every one!!! I ended up locating it in a document I had saved a long time ago.

Damn straight.  I have my bank PIN tattooed on my forehead, backward.  That way as I approach the drive-through ATM I just have to look up at the rear-view mirror to see it.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 09:23:26 PM »

Damn straight.  I have my bank PIN tattooed on my forehead, backward.  That way as I approach the drive-through ATM I just have to look up at the rear-view mirror to see it.

That sounds like a bad idea....

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies