Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:08:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear  (Read 13925 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »
« edited: April 06, 2014, 06:15:19 PM by Simfan34 »

This happened on Tuesday, and the demands of the students come off as a particularly bad caricature, not merely of liberal activists, but of what a caracture of what conservatives think liberal activists sound like:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303987004579479501134392562

If you doubt the accuracy of this because of it's place in the Wall Street Journal opinion pages (I wouldn't blame you), take a look at the actual manifesto:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/208843285/The-Plan-for-Dartmouth%E2%80%99s-Freedom-Budget-Items-for-Transformative-Justice-at-Dartmouth

Here are some selected gems:

(I see they didn't forget the wheelchair kid.)

(Excellent usage of mathematics, there)

(I once wrote in a column in the school paper that some person's idea would effectively "entail replacing the curriculum with a series of cultural sensitivity and privilege-comprehension courses".  It seems they actually want to do this.)

(As a person familiar with many, many "professors of color"- my parents amongst them- I don't know what this is supposed to mean)

(All right, let's talk about the social justice applications of chemistry....)

(Did they say "womyn"? Also, why isn't there a red squiggly line under "womyn", Chome?)

(They said "womyn"....)

(Since when did Snowstalker attend Dartmouth?)

Generally, "gender neutral bathrooms" mean individual bathrooms. Do they have any idea how much this costs...?

(Jesus, Dartmouth must be the worst place on earth...)

(Are illegal immigrants better people than the rest of us?)

(And this will do... what exactly?)

(Literal censorship?)

(...)

The University President, a mild-mannered mathematician who was heckled, jeered, and accused of committing "micro-aggressions" by the protestors, was held a de facto hostage for some hours. Also, the dean (?) was brilliant when she took them down at the 7min mark when she asked "can you tell me how many millions of dollars of budget requests you have in here?".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD3hybciyxQ

Later, someone came to defend the president, but he was a chisel-jawed white man in a bow tie and an embroidered blazer and perhaps not particularly suited to take up the role. Indeed, he seems more of a caricature than the protestors themselves do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_iad38Q1Ro

I'm not sure if this is all real or some elaborate hoax. The catch... this happened on April 1st.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »

How adorable! I bet they went home for Spring Break and got the idea from their baby boomer grandparents.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »

Did I wake up in 1968
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »

At least their hearts are in the right place.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 06:32:38 PM »

This is what happens when the Ivy Leagues have artificial quotas on the number of Asians that can attend.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »

At least their hearts are in the right place.

That's like complimenting a retarded person on at least he's healthy. It's nice and all that, but it doesn't change the person's real problem.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 06:40:41 PM »

I enjoy how the white guy in the bow tie (Scott, apparently) is followed by an Asian guy, then by a blond guy, then some brown-haired white woman... this seems comically cast.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 06:42:52 PM »

Liberal Heroism is annoying, but these are a bunch of excitable college kids. Most of them will calm down a bit in a few years but still be reliable liberal voters and activists.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »

Liberal Heroism is annoying, but these are a bunch of excitable college kids. Most of them will calm down a bit in a few years but still be reliable liberal voters and activists.

I would have expected you to support them.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »

Wait, why did they say "Latin@"? What does that even mean?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 07:16:49 PM »

Or maybe they'll be earning six figures in the private sector and relatively apolitical. Where do most Dartmouth graduates go, anyway?

Like most Ivy grads in general, they go to Wall Street or a consulting firm.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 07:17:30 PM »

@ has elements of both an 'a' and an 'o' in the way it looks so it's intended to be a (sadly unpronounceable) gender-neutral shorthand for situations where for whatever reason people don't want to use the word 'Hispanic'. I'm seeing it more and more often these days.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »

This is what happens when the Ivy Leagues have artificial quotas on the number of Asians that can attend.

It's a California thing. My Asian friends were only deferred or denied from California universities, particularly Stanford and Berkley. They had no problem with acceptance from Ivy League schools.

I hope these Dartmouth kids are having fun.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 07:27:17 PM »

If they have time for this crap in college, they should probably speak to their adviser about adding a few credits or something. Either that, or add a social aspect to their lives that is non-political.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »

If they have time for this crap in college, they should probably speak to their adviser about adding a few credits or something. Either that, or add a social aspect to their lives that is non-political.

There is really nothing to do in Hanover except drink and engage in political counterculture activities.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 07:40:32 PM »

There is really nothing to do in Hanover except drink and engage in political counterculture activities.
The police must be rather bored up there. If I were in charge of the situation, I'd run the dogs in on them and pop a canister of tear gas. After all, if students can take hostages for sh*ts and giggles, the police might as well have some fun.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 07:58:50 PM »

@ has elements of both an 'a' and an 'o' in the way it looks so it's intended to be a (sadly unpronounceable) gender-neutral shorthand for situations where for whatever reason people don't want to use the word 'Hispanic'. I'm seeing it more and more often these days.

Huh. I only see the a, thus defeating the purpose. Can't they just say Latino/a?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »

Huh. I only see the a, thus defeating the purpose. Can't they just say Latino/a?
Are they seriously that anal over being as non offensive as possible that they want gender neutral spelling with symbols, and not letters???
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 08:13:07 PM »

Are they seriously that anal over being as non offensive as possible that they want gender neutral spelling with symbols, and not letters???

The irony is that in Spanish, the male pronoun is always used when dealing with mixed genders or an unknown gender. A group of male and female Hispanic Americans is always going to be referred to as Latinos. So in their ham-handed attempt to be politically correct, they willfully disregarded another culture's linguistic conventions. RACISTS!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 08:18:19 PM »

This one's my favorite because the wording makes it sound like they have no clue what's wrong with their logic (they probably don't):

It made me chuckle.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 08:19:29 PM »

The irony is that in Spanish, the male pronoun is always used when dealing with mixed genders or an unknown gender. A group of male and female Hispanic Americans is always going to be referred to as Latinos. So in their ham-handed attempt to be politically correct, they willfully disregarded another culture's linguistic conventions. RACISTS!

That reminds me of my reaction when seeing a "alumni/ae" hall in our journalism school. My cringing reminded me that the Latinophone in me was not yet fully dead... By the way, what's the problem with "Hispanic"?

Averroes, I'm thinking the ones with six figure salaries will be the ones who tried to speak in defense of the administration.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »

That reminds me of my reaction when seeing a "alumni/ae" hall in our journalism school. My cringing reminded me that the Latinophone in me was not yet fully dead... By the way, what's the problem with "Hispanic"?

Averroes, I'm thinking the ones with six figure salaries will be the ones who tried to speak in defense of the administration.

I just get annoyed when 99% of people say "I am an alumni of XYZ University" as opposed to an alumnus/alumna.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 08:40:54 PM »

Some people feels like the term ties Latin@s (?) to their colonial Spanish oppressors, when their genetic identity is predominantly Native American.  I've never known a Hispanic who minded the term, but I've of course not met that many of them.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 08:57:12 PM »

Some people feels like the term ties Latin@s (?) to their colonial Spanish oppressors, when their genetic identity is predominantly Native American.  I've never known a Hispanic who minded the term, but I've of course not met that many of them.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I wondered how Latino doesn't do the same, alluding to their Roman roots...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 09:03:13 PM »

I hadn't seen it before, but I understood it.  It would seem to me however if one wants an explicitly gender-neutral way to express the idea in English that "Latin" would be better than "Latin@".
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies