Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:43:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear  (Read 14043 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: April 06, 2014, 09:56:10 PM »

Meh, they'll all be Republicans a decade from now.

Wishful thinking.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:07:34 AM »

I mean you're right- there are conservatives there (I know a few myself)- but they are the ones in the second video speaking in defense of the administration. The ones protesting are unlikely to experience some sort of epiphany and switch sides... likely they'll stop talking about "ableism" or "womyn" at some point but they'll always be very liberal- just as the baby boomers or those who came of age in the 1930s.

It's a generational cycle- I personally think we're on the cusp of one. The flood of articles I see people share on Facebook lamenting the "decline of dating" or the "tone of discourse", for example, seems to indicate a certain discontent with the way things are. It doesn't amount to much, but I think the pendulum has swung very far in one direction for decades now and it is deaccecelerating at the very least. The point being that it's intergenerational rather than intragenerational.

In Quebec, I'm seeing the same phenomena from people my age (and, also, they are much more likely to support new parties politically), and the current teenagers are even more radical than people my age.

Funnily, we could continue what you said about the 30's. Both those groups came of ages during recessions. It's also fitting my theory of the elastical politics. At a point, it snaps and goes to the other side. Left from 45 to 80, right since 80.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies