Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:39:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear  (Read 13991 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: April 06, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »

How adorable! I bet they went home for Spring Break and got the idea from their baby boomer grandparents.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:40:32 PM »

Liberal Heroism is annoying, but these are a bunch of excitable college kids. Most of them will calm down a bit in a few years but still be reliable liberal voters and activists.

If they have time for this crap in college, they should probably speak to their adviser about adding a few credits or something. Either that, or add a social aspect to their lives that is non-political.

There is really nothing to do in Hanover except drink and engage in political counterculture activities.
The police must be rather bored up there. If I were in charge of the situation, I'd run the dogs in on them and pop a canister of tear gas. After all, if students can take hostages for sh*ts and giggles, the police might as well have some fun.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »

Wait, why did they say "Latin@"? What does that even mean?

@ has elements of both an 'a' and an 'o' in the way it looks so it's intended to be a (sadly unpronounceable) gender-neutral shorthand for situations where for whatever reason people don't want to use the word 'Hispanic'. I'm seeing it more and more often these days.

Huh. I only see the a, thus defeating the purpose. Can't they just say Latino/a?
Are they seriously that anal over being as non offensive as possible that they want gender neutral spelling with symbols, and not letters???
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2014, 09:14:37 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Wait, why did they say "Latin@"? What does that even mean?

@ has elements of both an 'a' and an 'o' in the way it looks so it's intended to be a (sadly unpronounceable) gender-neutral shorthand for situations where for whatever reason people don't want to use the word 'Hispanic'. I'm seeing it more and more often these days.

Huh. I only see the a, thus defeating the purpose. Can't they just say Latino/a?
Are they seriously that anal over being as non offensive as possible that they want gender neutral spelling with symbols, and not letters???

The irony is that in Spanish, the male pronoun is always used when dealing with mixed genders or an unknown gender. A group of male and female Hispanic Americans is always going to be referred to as Latinos. So in their ham-handed attempt to be politically correct, they willfully disregarded another culture's linguistic conventions. RACISTS!

That reminds me of my reaction when seeing a "alumni/ae" hall in our journalism school. My cringing reminded me that the Latinophone in me was not yet fully dead... By the way, what's the problem with "Hispanic"?

Averroes, I'm thinking the ones with six figure salaries will be the ones who tried to speak in defense of the administration.

Some people feels like the term ties Latin@s (?) to their colonial Spanish oppressors, when their genetic identity is predominantly Native American.  I've never known a Hispanic who minded the term, but I've of course not met that many of them.
I’d be willing to bet that most "Latin@s" who use that term (or "Chicano/Chicana) are definitely descended in part from the Spanish, whether they like it or not. Just like the Holocaust is a scar on the German cultural identity, or slavery is a black mark in the history of America, so is the Spanish oppression of the indigenous peoples of the New World on that culture. Isn't it a little ironic that they are belittling their own ancestors? If they are angry at the descendents of the Spanish for destroying their culture down to their very own name, are they not also to blame?

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »

It annoys me too. These people are allegedly educated, and yet their grasp of language and its use is execrable. Most of them probably couldn't even identify the origin of that word.

Oy vey. I thought you believed in science...
I believe you misread his post (I read "word" as "world" too), unless I'm missing something here.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:38:52 PM »

It annoys me too. These people are allegedly educated, and yet their grasp of language and its use is execrable. Most of them probably couldn't even identify the origin of that word.

I believe you misread his post (I read "word" as "world" too), unless I'm missing something here.

Nah. Basically, whining about people using "alumni" instead of alumnus or whatever, and then claiming that they have a poor grasp of English basically violates the established tenets of linguistics.
Ah, I didn't see that original side debate. Anway, that argument is almost as absurd as the Latin@/womyn thing Tongue.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:28:18 PM »

Nah. Basically, whining about people using "alumni" instead of alumnus or whatever, and then claiming that they have a poor grasp of English basically violates the established tenets of linguistics.
Ah, I didn't see that original side debate. Anway, that argument is almost as absurd as the Latin@/womyn thing Tongue.
Mine, or PiT's?
PiTs (not that I am dissing him, as he is one of my favorites, but sometimes you gotta disagree with your own side).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies