Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:01:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear  (Read 14007 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 06, 2014, 09:03:13 PM »

Wait, why did they say "Latin@"? What does that even mean?

@ has elements of both an 'a' and an 'o' in the way it looks so it's intended to be a (sadly unpronounceable) gender-neutral shorthand for situations where for whatever reason people don't want to use the word 'Hispanic'. I'm seeing it more and more often these days.

I hadn't seen it before, but I understood it.  It would seem to me however if one wants an explicitly gender-neutral way to express the idea in English that "Latin" would be better than "Latin@".
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:54:52 AM »

Very cogent, except that '&' is the ampersand, not the '@'.  Indeed, there is no single name for the symbol.  I suspect that Dartmouth students who made this manifesto would recoil from calling it the "commercial at sign".  They might go with some of the more fanciful names that have been proposed such as "ampersat".
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »

It annoys me too. These people are allegedly educated, and yet their grasp of language and its use is execrable. Most of them probably couldn't even identify the origin of that word.

Yis, hou darth peple not stiketh to thi originale Latin formes whanne writinge English! We wolde al duse welle to writen iliche Chaucer.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies