Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:43:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear  (Read 14006 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: April 06, 2014, 07:16:49 PM »

Liberal Heroism is annoying, but these are a bunch of excitable college kids. Most of them will calm down a bit in a few years but still be reliable liberal voters and activists.

Or maybe they'll be earning six figures in the private sector and relatively apolitical. Where do most Dartmouth graduates go, anyway?

Like most Ivy grads in general, they go to Wall Street or a consulting firm.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »

Liberal Heroism is annoying, but these are a bunch of excitable college kids. Most of them will calm down a bit in a few years but still be reliable liberal voters and activists.

If they have time for this crap in college, they should probably speak to their adviser about adding a few credits or something. Either that, or add a social aspect to their lives that is non-political.

There is really nothing to do in Hanover except drink and engage in political counterculture activities.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 08:13:07 PM »

Wait, why did they say "Latin@"? What does that even mean?

@ has elements of both an 'a' and an 'o' in the way it looks so it's intended to be a (sadly unpronounceable) gender-neutral shorthand for situations where for whatever reason people don't want to use the word 'Hispanic'. I'm seeing it more and more often these days.

Huh. I only see the a, thus defeating the purpose. Can't they just say Latino/a?
Are they seriously that anal over being as non offensive as possible that they want gender neutral spelling with symbols, and not letters???

The irony is that in Spanish, the male pronoun is always used when dealing with mixed genders or an unknown gender. A group of male and female Hispanic Americans is always going to be referred to as Latinos. So in their ham-handed attempt to be politically correct, they willfully disregarded another culture's linguistic conventions. RACISTS!
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »

Wait, why did they say "Latin@"? What does that even mean?

@ has elements of both an 'a' and an 'o' in the way it looks so it's intended to be a (sadly unpronounceable) gender-neutral shorthand for situations where for whatever reason people don't want to use the word 'Hispanic'. I'm seeing it more and more often these days.

Huh. I only see the a, thus defeating the purpose. Can't they just say Latino/a?
Are they seriously that anal over being as non offensive as possible that they want gender neutral spelling with symbols, and not letters???

The irony is that in Spanish, the male pronoun is always used when dealing with mixed genders or an unknown gender. A group of male and female Hispanic Americans is always going to be referred to as Latinos. So in their ham-handed attempt to be politically correct, they willfully disregarded another culture's linguistic conventions. RACISTS!

That reminds me of my reaction when seeing a "alumni/ae" hall in our journalism school. My cringing reminded me that the Latinophone in me was not yet fully dead... By the way, what's the problem with "Hispanic"?

Averroes, I'm thinking the ones with six figure salaries will be the ones who tried to speak in defense of the administration.

I just get annoyed when 99% of people say "I am an alumni of XYZ University" as opposed to an alumnus/alumna.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »

Well I'm 1/64th Native American. Does that mean I should get mad at the other 63/64ths of me for oppressing that 1/64th of me? (Really 31/64th actually since my father's family are very recent immigrants).
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:28:19 AM »

Well I'm 1/64th Native American. Does that mean I should get mad at the other 63/64ths of me for oppressing that 1/64th of me? (Really 31/64th actually since my father's family are very recent immigrants).

This is the whitest possible comment: discussion of racial fractions as if your blood quantum suddenly means you're not racist, a cheap joke automatically discarding these strange and apparently silly ideas, and a display that indicates utter ignorance at how oppression functions. I don't mean to pick on you Mr. Texas because others miss the point just as much as you but your posts make good examples to respond to. I am speaking to all y'all whities and that phrase includes Simfan who has assimilated quite skillfully into the cultural hegemon and can maintain the perfect facsimile of a middle aged white dude.

It was a joke dude.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies