Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:59:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dartmouth Students Storm President's Offices, Seriousness of Demands Unclear  (Read 14051 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: April 07, 2014, 06:19:13 AM »

These student activists would no doubt point to the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis and link the notion of machismo to the Spanish language's treatment of gender.

Which would be a very inaccurate idea - grammatical gender doesn't necessarily entail sexism (see German, or even a lot of Spanish-speaking countries) nor is the inverse true (see Farsi). The Strong version of Sapir-Whorf is a huge load of crap, basically.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »

Yeah, I've heard that -@ as a gender marker is a sort of thing like the various made-up gender neutral pronouns in English- not something used often, and sort of politically correct in people's minds.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:22:20 PM »

It annoys me too. These people are allegedly educated, and yet their grasp of language and its use is execrable. Most of them probably couldn't even identify the origin of that word.

Oy vey. I thought you believed in science...
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »

It annoys me too. These people are allegedly educated, and yet their grasp of language and its use is execrable. Most of them probably couldn't even identify the origin of that word.

I believe you misread his post (I read "word" as "world" too), unless I'm missing something here.

Nah. Basically, whining about people using "alumni" instead of alumnus or whatever, and then claiming that they have a poor grasp of English basically violates the established tenets of linguistics.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:58:27 PM »

I believe you misread his post (I read "word" as "world" too), unless I'm missing something here.

Nah. Basically, whining about people using "alumni" instead of alumnus or whatever, and then claiming that they have a poor grasp of English basically violates the established tenets of linguistics.
Ah, I didn't see that original side debate. Anway, that argument is almost as absurd as the Latin@/womyn thing Tongue.
Mine, or PiT's?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies