if youre looking for a job....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:06:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  if youre looking for a job....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: if youre looking for a job....  (Read 1567 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:23:22 PM »

how many applications should you be putting in per day (on average)?

i am currently looking.  although the search isnt so urgent, as i am currently employed.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »

It's not really a count, you see.

Some jobs it takes lots of time to get them all of the information and do the application, blah blah blah, depending on the line of work.

All that's required is for you to make finding a full time job your full time job, period.  Use ever resource available to you.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »

It really depends on the job.  I don't put in that many a day because there aren't as many job openings for second-year law students as there are for other fields, but on average, I've been putting in about 2-4 a day.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »

I'm kind of in the same boat as Walter. If a job opening comes up I'm interested in, I'll put in an app. Probably about once a week. I'm not exactly in a hurry or need to urgently get a new one, I just need change really. Time to move on.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »

I'm kind of in the same boat as Walter. If a job opening comes up I'm interested in, I'll put in an app. Probably about once a week. I'm not exactly in a hurry or need to urgently get a new one, I just need change really. Time to move on.

Yep, looks like I will also be joining you guys in this boat.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:32:01 PM »

how many applications should you be putting in per day (on average)?

i am currently looking.  although the search isnt so urgent, as i am currently employed.

Gramps is exactly right:  "make finding a full time job your full time job, period."

It depends upon the job you want.  Some jobs expect you to use an internet upload feature, and you'd have to upload at least seven or eight documents, each many pages long, and you'd spend a good part of the day working on the application materials for that job, especially the cover letter.  You might get in a couple per day, but it's not like you would do 2 or 3 a day for months on end.   Other jobs might expect a brief resume only, mailed or emailed.  Some places want 3 or 4 letters from referees, mailed or emailed, and some only want names and contact info for references.

You don't want to end up like the recently deceased actor, Mickey Rooney, who earned then gambled away 12 million dollars by the time he was 40.  Consider also that hhe had eight former wives to which he had to pay alimony.  No wonder that guy applied for, and accepted, every job in his field that came along.  You're not in that boat, so there's no reason to operate as though you are.  In this case quality trumps quantity, I suspect.

The bottom line is what Gramps said and I can't improve upon it:  Make it your full-time job to find a job.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 07:52:22 PM »

The fact that we all need jobs is a terrible reflection on the society we've formed, so I really can never blame someone when they basically say F it.  I wouldn't, because I understand the practical effect of not supporting myself, but I'll never bash another for just wanting to sit around and do nothing.   
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »

The fact that we all need jobs is a terrible reflection on the society we've formed

Horrible, isn't it?  If only we could have stayed hunter/gatherers, huddled 'round a blazing fire, with all men communing in the cave by night and carving tips from stones by day, and all women making and feeding babies, what a wonderful world it would be.  Alas, such good times are gone forever.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:26:59 PM »

Yep, looks like I will also be joining you guys in this boat.

You moved? That'd be another reason to look of course.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29:05 PM »

Who moves to Jersey?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »

The fact that we all need jobs is a terrible reflection on the society we've formed

Horrible, isn't it?  If only we could have stayed hunter/gatherers, huddled 'round a blazing fire, with all men communing in the cave by night and carving tips from stones by day, and all women making and feeding babies, what a wonderful world it would be.  Alas, such good times are gone forever.

Well, I think there are a few places in the Amazon or maybe New Guinea that still live the life, but I don't they're taking applications right now.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 10:21:01 PM »

It really depends on the job.  I don't put in that many a day because there aren't as many job openings for second-year law students as there are for other fields, but on average, I've been putting in about 2-4 a day.

2-4 a day is not that many??    How do you even find that many jobs that you think you have a chance at?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 10:46:29 PM »

2-4 a day is not that many??    How do you even find that many jobs that you think you have a chance at?

Law school career services and word of mouth.

EDIT: I should clarify that that's business days only.  I'm not applying on the weekends.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 10:49:35 PM »

and if bushie said this youd rip into him.  Smiley
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 10:59:28 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2014, 11:08:03 PM by Erasedmyposts »

Haha! I did not move to New Jersey guys. My avatar is merely a tribute to the D-NJ poster who got offed.

I have been making a lot of changes in my life recently though and I think finding a more serious job is going to eventually be another one of those changes. Of course, I am still employed (in addition to be being very busy with the band I'm playing in) so my search doesn't exactly carry with it the same sense of urgency that it does for our friend Jeff.

I still think Bushie should consider figuring out a way to get on the government's dole permanently but I digress.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 11:04:39 PM »

I'm applying for jobs as they're posted.  So far, I have yet to come across a firm who's posted a job on the weekend, which makes sense, since they're not in the office on weekends.

That being said, I'd advise Bushie not to apply for jobs on the weekend.  He has more of a likelihood of having the application noticed if he sends it in during the week during business hours.  I don't submit applications on weekends or after 4:30 P.M.  He can look for them on the weekends and fill out the applications, but I'd advise against hitting the "Send" button until normal business hours.

Fast food and retail jobs are a bit different, since the hiring managers can be in on the weekends, but that's really the only sector where I wouldn't be hesitant to apply only Monday through Friday.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 10:18:06 AM »

Depends what you are doing and where you are.  When I was out of work there were many days I was putting in 25+ applications.  However, looking for a finance job in NY metro area (primarily looked in NYC and LI) is far different than looking for another type of job elsewhere in the country.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 10:53:27 AM »

I'd rather work 60 hours a week standing up without any meal or toilet breaks, or any vacation (paid or unpaid), which I have been doing for a couple of years, than ever have to look for a job again.

So, if you're looking for a job, you'd better meet someone who can find you one super quickly.  I've never had any luck through applications.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »

As others have noted, it depends on the field. When I was looking for manual labour jobs it wasn't hard for me to churn out 5-10 per day. Now, I'm looking for accounting jobs and its more like 2-3/week.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies