Americans on Medicaid exceed population of the UK by more than 10 million
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:06:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Americans on Medicaid exceed population of the UK by more than 10 million
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Americans on Medicaid exceed population of the UK by more than 10 million  (Read 629 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »

This is a good thing, in my view. I want more people protected by government healthcare rather than subjected to the market prices, which are way too high.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/americans-medicaid-exceed-population-uk-would-be-20th-most-populated
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »

I'd rather have Medicaid/Medicare for all. Every other civilized country has something similar to that, and they seem to be doing just fine with it.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:03:23 PM »

It's coming soon, hopefully. No more prices in healthcare, please. Getting more and more people enrolled in medicaid is a good start, though.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:18:29 PM »

I would've qualified for the Medicaid expansion, but since Corbett rejected it, I fell into the coverage gap instead. Please tell me more about how there's no difference between Democrats and Republicans, True Leftists. Roll Eyes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 07:56:59 PM »

I would've qualified for the Medicaid expansion, but since Corbett rejected it, I fell into the coverage gap instead.

Are you certain?  There are some people who would have qualified for Medicaid had their state expanded coverage, but who are eligible for the subsidies anyway.  If you're in the 100% to 138% of the FPL range, you are eligible for the subsidies, tho it's too late to enroll this year.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:04:42 PM »

I would've qualified for the Medicaid expansion, but since Corbett rejected it, I fell into the coverage gap instead.

Are you certain?  There are some people who would have qualified for Medicaid had their state expanded coverage, but who are eligible for the subsidies anyway.  If you're in the 100% to 138% of the FPL range, you are eligible for the subsidies, tho it's too late to enroll this year.

Yup, I already tried applying a few weeks ago. No subsidies offered, and since Corbett rejected expansion I couldn't get on Medicaid either.

Luckily, I'm young and healthy and never go to the doctor anyway. The only thing I'll have to do differently now is go to a sliding scale dentist for routine cleanings/fillings.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 11:59:26 PM »

Are you able to afford a private catastrophic plan?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:21:40 AM »

I would've qualified for the Medicaid expansion, but since Corbett rejected it, I fell into the coverage gap instead. Please tell me more about how there's no difference between Democrats and Republicans, True Leftists. Roll Eyes

Oh, I'm not dismissing Medicaid expansion at all. I'm just saying that it'd be nice if we had single-payer, especially with a program proven to work like Medicaid. Smiley
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:05:11 AM »

We already pay enough to cover everyone. More enrollees = more spending = lack of reform elsewhere in the public healthcare system.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »

Oh, I'm not dismissing Medicaid expansion at all. I'm just saying that it'd be nice if we had single-payer, especially with a program proven to work like Medicaid. Smiley

Of course. I support single-payer as well. I just couldn't resist taking a shot at the people that think both parties are the same with a real world example. Wink If there was a Gov. Onorato, I'd have health insurance right now.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »

Are you able to afford a private catastrophic plan?

I haven't looked into that yet, but I probably will soon.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 01:08:26 PM »

Given that if the Democrats had enacted single-payer rather than Romneycare at the federal level, you'd have coverage right now, I think that sort of answers your snide remark in and of itself.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »

Given that if the Democrats had enacted single-payer rather than Romneycare at the federal level, you'd have coverage right now, I think that sort of answers your snide remark in and of itself.

Please name the 60 senators who would vote for single payer.

Link for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_United_States_Congress#Senate_3
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »

Link for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_United_States_Congress#Senate_3

Or even 51 senators if there were no filibuster.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »

Given adequate pressure, I'm sure that you could scrounge up the necessary votes to do so. Unfortunately mass organizations have been completely undermined and ignored since at least the 1970s, and so that wasn't a real possibility going into the Obama administration. If liberals focused less on MUH DEMOCRATS and more on building up organizations that could push for reforms they say they care about, they would get a lot more done than just enacting Republican policy after Republican policy. But that would require them to understand that power comes from below rather than above, something that liberals are incapable of grasping.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 01:29:03 PM »

Given adequate pressure, I'm sure that you could scrounge up the necessary votes to do so. Unfortunately mass organizations have been completely undermined and ignored since at least the 1970s, and so that wasn't a real possibility going into the Obama administration. If liberals focused less on MUH DEMOCRATS and more on building up organizations that could push for reforms they say they care about, they would get a lot more done than just enacting Republican policy after Republican policy. But that would require them to understand that power comes from below rather than above, something that liberals are incapable of grasping.
Have fun going back in time and convincing Lieberman, Lincoln, Hagan, Landrieu, Nelson, and Bayh to vote for single payer.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »

Have fun going back in time and convincing Lieberman, Lincoln, Hagan, Landrieu, Nelson, and Bayh to vote for single payer.

Excellent work on totally ignoring my post in an attempt to score points for the Democratic Party.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »

Excellent work on totally ignoring my post in an attempt to score points for the Democratic Party.
I was more focused on the first line than the rest of the post.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »

Obviously, given that you completely ignored my subsequent argument which largely explains the first line.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 01:50:26 PM »

Exactly what leverage did anybody have over Joe Lieberman? He alone was enough to sink single payer. Hell, he even almost sunk Romneycare just for petty vengeance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies