Why haven't any states gone the unicameral, parliamentary route? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:39:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why haven't any states gone the unicameral, parliamentary route? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why haven't any states gone the unicameral, parliamentary route?  (Read 3407 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: April 08, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »

The constitution mandates only a republican system for state governments. We have a few unicameral legislatures, but it would be unconstitutional for a state to have a Prime Minister. I suppose the Speaker of a state legislature could be a de facto PM, of course.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »

The constitution mandates only a republican system for state governments. We have a few unicameral legislatures, but it would be unconstitutional for a state to have a Prime Minister.

Because as we all know, only monarchies can have Prime Ministers, right?
Ugh, yeah, I did know that. A Westminister system is not really a republican form of government in the sense that the legislature elects a Prime Minister from its ranks (though that is not always the case, like in France, for example).

Regardless of this side argument, the current system of state government is set in stone.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »

A Westminister system is not really a republican form of government in the sense that the legislature elects a Prime Minister from its ranks.

How is that not republican? Indirect election of certain public officials by others has been present in many republican systems of government (including the US until 1913, lest we forget).
I suppose it actually is a republican form of government, albeit it still requires the legislature to take a lot of executive power (unless Queen Elizabeth gets off her royal fanny and starts making policy decisions Tongue) and implants it in itself. I wouldn’t call the pre-1913 Senate a fully republican institution either, though that wasn’t what the Senate was originally intended to be in the early days of our nation. It was to serve almost like a council of elders at a congregationist church, with a sort of veto power over both the House (there is a reason why the budget is required to start in the House) and the President (through the impeachment process).

State governments have the same basic design (I believe we have a few states with unicameral legislatures). It prevents state governors from usurping too much power and becoming virtual dictators of their own states. While I strongly believe in states’ rights, I also believe that it is dangerous for too much power to be invested in individual state executives.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies