Black Vote in Elections With Black GOP and White Democratic Candidates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:01:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Black Vote in Elections With Black GOP and White Democratic Candidates
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Black Vote in Elections With Black GOP and White Democratic Candidates  (Read 1890 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:52:28 AM »

A common claim is that if only the Republicans would nominate a black candidate they would win a good chunk if not a majority of the black vote. However how have blacks voted in elections where the Republican candidate was black and the Democratic candidate was white?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 01:11:19 AM »

I'm pretty sure Northam put out Presidential numbers with blacks against E.W Jackson. Wink

A better example would be Maryland in 2006. Michael Steele pulled 25% of the black vote against Cardin.

Also from 2006, Ken Blackwell got 20% against Strickland. For comparison, DeWine got 15% in the Senate race.

I'd be interested in SC-Sen (Tim Scott) and LA-LG (Elbert Guillory) coming up.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure Northam put out Presidential numbers with blacks against E.W Jackson. Wink

A better example would be Maryland in 2006. Michael Steele pulled 25% of the black vote against Cardin.

Also from 2006, Ken Blackwell got 20% against Strickland. For comparison, DeWine got 15% in the Senate race.

Blackwell's numbers are particularly impressive considering how bad he got shellacked. Put another way, his percentage of the black vote was over half his overall percentage.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:30:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure that most blacks voted for Paul Sarbanes over Alan Keyes during the 1988 Maryland senate race.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »

Not a majority, that would be too much too soon.

But even 20% to 25% would be enough of a shift to effect the top line numbers significantly, particularly when they are currently voting 96-4.

It has to be at least a semi-competent candidate as well, so obviously a Keyes candidacy doesn't qualify.

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:30:27 PM »

Blacks are the new Yellow Dog Democrats.  They'll vote for a yellow dog running as a Democrat over a black Republican.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:35:59 PM »

I think 20% is the ceiling for Republicans with blacks they are too out of step on too many issues and much of their rhetoric seems negatively aimed at blacks for them to get any further than that. I think moderates like Condi Rice or Micheal Steele could push the ceiling a bit higher but the likes of Ben Carson or Herman Cain the best they could get is in the teens.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 01:20:16 PM »

Maybe black people would be more inclined to vote for black Republicans if the GOP base wasn't fixated on people like Allen West or Ben Carson.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »

I don't know official data, but exit polling showed Patrick Murphy getting around 90% of the black vote in FL-18 against Allen West.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »

I think the lesson there is that a lot of blacks will vote for a sane Republican who actually cares about issues and initiatives that they do, unlike your typical right-wing contrarian black Republican who simply wants to yank the rug out from under a sizable number of black Americans and make social and economic mobility more difficult for them. (Unless you can explain how defunding their public schools so that 10% of their classmates can go to a fundamentalist Christian charter school, denying them health insurance coverage and giving them the "opportunity" to work for $4 an hour is going to help them succeed in life.)
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2014, 06:33:32 PM by Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin »

I think the lesson there is that a lot of blacks will vote for a sane Republican who actually cares about issues and initiatives that they do, unlike your typical right-wing contrarian black Republican who simply wants to yank the rug out from under a sizable number of black Americans and make social and economic mobility more difficult for them. (Unless you can explain how defunding their public schools so that 10% of their classmates can go to a fundamentalist Christian charter school, denying them health insurance coverage and giving them the "opportunity" to work for $4 an hour is going to help them succeed in life.)
Do you have any proof charter schools are like that? And please don't pull that bullsh**t. No business would pay an American citizen 4$ an hour. We don't need Democrats to tell us that isn't a fair wage.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »

Do you have any proof charter schools are like that? And please don't pull that bullsh**t. No business would pay an American citizen 4$ an hour. We don't need Democrats to tell us that isn't a fair wage.

1. In Florida, where Rick Scott has put these charter school policies into effect (also spending more on the charter schools than public schools, even though the public schools have the vast majority of the student population and higher grades, which the charter schools were supposed to have) that turned many christian schools into charter ones, just like that.

2. Not sure if sarcasm or not, but $4 an hour is not something someone can live on, nobody can live on $8,000 per year, but we need policies to make businesses pay a minimum wage because there are a lot of people out there who are so greedy that will pay the lowest amount they can, and it's foolish to think all businesses will pay a living wage for full-time work.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 03:23:39 AM »

See Democratic primary for Alabama governor, 2010.  (Ron Sparks vs Artur Davis)
See PA and OH Gov and MD Sen 2006.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies