Do women have lower incomes (on average) because of discrimination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:59:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do women have lower incomes (on average) because of discrimination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Do women have lower incomes (on average) because of discrimination?  (Read 3619 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 11:22:03 PM »

Obviously as a divorce lawyer you have an advanced understanding of this issue.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 11:32:19 PM »

Ironically I am related to a divorce lawyer. But anyway I have seen almost every guy I have ever known get screwed.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 12:44:55 AM »

Ironically I am related to a divorce lawyer. But anyway I have seen almost every guy I have ever known get screwed.

That probably says more about the guys you know than it does about divorce in general.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »

Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 09:33:26 AM »

Or what?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »

Or he'll think even less of you that he currently does, if that is possible.  I'd think his meaning was abundantly clear.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 09:30:23 PM »

Or he'll think even less of you that he currently does, if that is possible.  I'd think his meaning was abundantly clear.
I could honestly care less. Didn't Tiger pay over a 100m to his ex? I would call that getting pretty seriously screwed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 04:44:38 AM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2014, 02:21:17 PM »

I thought it was pretty well-established that the answer to the OP question is yes? Huh

Yes. The only people who disagree are Tea Party-types with their heads in the sand and Internet teenagers who've never lived in the real world.

And not that there's anything wrong with being type #2 per se. We've all been there.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 03:03:15 PM »

I thought it was pretty well-established that the answer to the OP question is yes? Huh

Yes. The only people who disagree are Tea Party-types with their heads in the sand and Internet teenagers who've never lived in the real world.

And not that there's anything wrong with being type #2 per se. We've all been there.
Nice job insulting those who disagree with you. Anyway as I have said before, women mke less because they choose less dangerous jobs. How many women do you see studying to be a nuclear engineer?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2014, 02:08:33 AM »

Nice job insulting those who disagree with you. Anyway as I have said before, women mke less because they choose less dangerous jobs. How many women do you see studying to be a nuclear engineer?

Oh. Oh dear.

Perhaps we don't see as many females choosing "dangerous jobs" such as nuclear engineer (note to self: is nuclear engineer a dangerous job? Engineers are usually busy behind desks are they not? Maybe it's dangerous because it involves math?) because being in that field inevitably leads them to interacting with insufferably ignorant, sexist behavior perfectly exemplified by your comment. I had a job for six months working in the steel industry. It was bloody hot in the factory due to the furnaces, you were expected to do lots of heavy lifting, and every day you'd walk out covered in soot. As you might expect, there were basically no women there - and during the group interview process where they described the working conditions all of the girls walked out not wanting to even try. I don't blame them - there are only two results when a woman chooses to work in a factory like that. She's either automatically a lesbian and can expect to be treated with disdain or, if not, can expect to be constantly sexually demeaned behind her back. She'd also likely given the less difficult roles and resented by those of us expected to do the heavy lifting. Any advancement she made would have people questioning whether or not she deserved it or if she was doing something shady. But I'm sure none of that had anything to do with it. It was probably just icky and too hard (that is: her fault).

Anyway, that doesn't have much to do with your overall nonsensical point. These equal pay for equal work debates are built on the common understanding that we are talking about men and women doing the same job with the same experience and qualifications who still, nevertheless, get paid less. As jfern noted, this isn't as true when we're talking about women and men fresh out of university who are childless and inexperienced. It can, in fact, be the opposite. Great.

That's the starting point. As life goes on, women face considerably more disruptions than men because we expect them (and, of course, often they happily choose) to take time off from careers to focus on having children or caring for family members. When women return to the workforce, they've lost ground. Are you ready? I'm going to throw a graph at you.

Then there's the fun fact that, strictly because of often unintentional sexism (I hope), women who ask for raises are not given them as often as men (cite). A man who asks for a raise is assertive and strong as men ought to be. Women? Not so much. That's (again, sometimes unintentionally) viewed as uncomely behavior for a lady.

Perhaps what you meant was that women are more likely to work at jobs that aren't professional or managerial and therefore pay less. This is true. Why this is so could be that these lower paying jobs offer women more flexibility with their busy schedules when they have to juggle caring duties at home. Most people, upon learning that, will breathe a sigh of relief. It's their own fault! Phew! I knew it would be okay and we won't have to change anything. But the solution to that problem involves rather frightening things like requiring businesses and government to provide leave for women (and men) when they start to have families. Women shouldn't have to choose between caring for their children and keeping that high-salary, personally fulfilling job. We should be letting them take time off for a while and welcoming them back to the same work and pay as before.

But businesses wouldn't like that sort of inefficiency being introduced. You know what? Tough sh**t. When someone takes an extended leave from their job, someone has to fill in. That work either gets spread around or several people have to be hired to come in a fill in. That's good for the economy. Hurray! I'm glad I've changed your mind.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2014, 04:54:42 AM »

These equal pay for equal work debates are built on the common understanding that we are talking about men and women doing the same job with the same experience and qualifications who still, nevertheless, get paid less.

That's the starting point.
Except it never is.  When these discussions come up in real life or in the media or in DC it always starts with the fact that women make 77% what men make.  A little honesty at the start from the other side would go along way in my book.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »

These equal pay for equal work debates are built on the common understanding that we are talking about men and women doing the same job with the same experience and qualifications who still, nevertheless, get paid less.

That's the starting point.
Except it never is.  When these discussions come up in real life or in the media or in DC it always starts with the fact that women make 77% what men make.  A little honesty at the start from the other side would go along way in my book.

Women do this thing where they get all bitchy and bloated and then crap out a kid and are expected to care for it.  And in today's society, having a kid often means "start over" for women at work.

They're not getting raises... they don't really have job security... and they're losing a lot of potential income.  And we are such a nice society that we saddle the mother with a disproportionate amount of the costs (compared to most of human history).

Dead0man, I'm sure you're the magical exception to this.  The one guy who took paternity leave or something because your government job allowed it, so because of that equal pay isn't an issue.  (I'm making assumptions here... like you make all sorts of less visible assumptions in your hollow argument)

A little honesty from the start would be nice. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 03:16:57 PM »

oh now you've done it
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »

Blacks have lower income on average as well. What do you want us to do?

Take action to combat discrimination against black people, obviously.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 08:42:52 PM »

Yes (D).

I realize that some of it is by choice, but even choices can be influenced by discrimination. If women are expected to do more than half the domestic work, they may not want as much responsibility at work. If women are expected to be less pushy, they may be less likely to ask for raises. If women are advised towards low-paying jobs, they may not choose a field that pays well.

This issue is not the choice to be a mother, as fathers actually get more money than childless men. Even if one takes the perspective that mothers should do more childcare than fathers, and thus can take on less responsibility at work, this still doesn't add up.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 06:16:22 AM »

That's not how that works...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 06:24:55 AM »

Enlighten me please. I know I'm not a native speaker, but I don't think I need to be one to realize that anyone who says "I could care less", when what he means is the exact opposite of that, is an illiterate idiot.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »

It's an idiomatic expression, albeit not one that I would use. Francophones wouldn't understand.

No. It's not an idiomatic expression. It's a gross logical mistake. One that should be systematically pointed out and result in the public shaming of the person who used it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 03:01:58 PM »

Is it really an idiomatic expression, though? I've never read it as ironic.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 03:14:16 PM »

It's an idiomatic expression, albeit not one that I would use. Francophones wouldn't understand.

No. It's not an idiomatic expression. It's a gross logical mistake. One that should be systematically pointed out and result in the public shaming of the person who used it.

It doesn't follow the same logic as the phrase that it evolved from. So what? This is English. There is no Académie anglais. People communicate as they please.

Oh for God's sake, not this bullsh*t. Of course language evolves and everything. But words have well-accepted meanings, and if you use them to mean the exact opposite of what they're supposed to, you're not an innovator, you're just an illiterate. I'm pretty sure most decent Anglophones would agree with me.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »

Antonio, people use "literally" to mean "not literally" all the time and that's not a crime against The Language or whatever. I literally don't see why is this any different. Americans can speak however they want.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »

we speak english yes we do we speak english how's about youse
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »

Antonio, people use "literally" to mean "not literally" all the time and that's not a crime against The Language or whatever. I literally don't see why is this any different. Americans can speak however they want.

I loathe the people who misuse "literally" just as much. Tongue Seriously, there are some "idiomatic expressions" that just make no f**king sense.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 08:57:50 AM »

I loathe the people who misuse "literally" just as much. Tongue Seriously, there are some "idiomatic expressions" that just make no f**king sense.

"Literally" doesn't annoy me that much. "Could care less", on the other hand, is a crime against humanity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies