Are you on any type of welfare?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:16:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you on any type of welfare?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: you know the drill
yes

no

used to

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Are you on any type of welfare?  (Read 1924 times)
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »

Yes, as I guess student loans/maintenance grants count as a form of welfare.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 04:10:46 PM »

Just about everything imaginable. Free school meals/daycare/disability/medicaid ect ect.

A yellow avatar on welfare? And to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 04:50:45 PM »

I think too often that any government program gets lumped into welfare. That may play into current political debate but it doesn't really match the definition. Here's what Merriam Webster online says:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The key is the connection to an individual in need. Employment by the government is not welfare since it is money in exchange for work. Government services available to the public at large would not be welfare either.

In higher ed an academic scholarship to a state university would not count, but a need-based scholarship would count.

Tax policy is designed to favor or disfavor certain types of economic activity, and are not really about money for those in need. An exception would be the earned income tax credit or disability-based exemptions which could meet the definition.

So muon2, I need not feel guilty about all the government largess I get because it isn't welfare eh? Folks of means can't be on welfare, even if in the form of those checks for cash I get from the feds for not growing corn, with about double the profit margin than if I do. Fantastico! Smiley

Feel guilty if you like, or not, but your guilt has nothing to do with welfare. Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »

The key is the connection to an individual in need. Employment by the government is not welfare since it is money in exchange for work. Government services available to the public at large would not be welfare either.

In higher ed an academic scholarship to a state university would not count, but a need-based scholarship would count.

Tax policy is designed to favor or disfavor certain types of economic activity, and are not really about money for those in need. An exception would be the earned income tax credit or disability-based exemptions which could meet the definition.

But aren't all of these things needs to the person that receives him?

I'm pretty sure if dead0man suddenly had to pay taxes on his mortgage, he'd be dire in need.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 05:37:13 PM »

Just about everything imaginable. Free school meals/daycare/disability/medicaid ect ect.

You can thank Walmart for that.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »

If you count parents paying for college dorm costs, then yes.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 05:59:50 PM »

Some would argue the Ron Paul approach to earmarks.  They should be eliminated, but until they are, if you're paying money into the programs, you should do what you can to get that money back.

It's certainly a logical position to take, although not one that every libertarian does.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 12:48:40 AM »

If tax breaks count, yes, otherwise, no.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 01:05:48 AM »

If it's not too much to ask, what's you disability?
Asperger's/autism.

Though I suspect laziness also helps that Tongue If it's good enough for the Australian government, it's good enough for me Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 09:12:28 PM »

I get a sales tax rebate (about $75/mth) because I'm "low income" despite having wealthy parents and living at home. Tongue
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »

I get a sales tax rebate (about $75/mth) because I'm "low income" despite having wealthy parents and living at home. Tongue

Welfare Queen
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »

Sure, I attend university for 600€ a year.

(If we want to define "welfare" that way.)

Wow.  And to think we consider ourselves the greatest nation...
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 06:40:38 AM »

I'm currently indebted to the federal government when it comes to student loans.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 11:30:16 AM »

But aren't all of these things needs to the person that receives him?

I'm pretty sure if dead0man suddenly had to pay taxes on his mortgage, he'd be dire in need.

In the strict definition, needs are not wants though a person may feel otherwise.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 09:27:48 AM »

Restricting myself to the definition cited by muon2, because of my visual impairment, I received Social Security disability benefits between the ages of 18 and 26.  Depending on the year, they ranged from $300-600 a month (increased after my dad died).  I used them to pay for rent and food while I was putting myself through college and graduate school.  After graduating, I became a university teacher.  Since I was once attacked on this forum for having received these benefits, I'll just say that I hope the public doesn't feel ripped off by my reliance on welfare to get through college..but if they do, they should change the law and not blame me. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies