Chasing Sean Eldridge (Politico)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:35:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chasing Sean Eldridge (Politico)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chasing Sean Eldridge (Politico)  (Read 812 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:25:33 AM »

Hiding from the local media.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:08:46 AM »

I find Sean Eldridge incredibly off-putting. There are a lot of people who want to be in Congress and most of them "pay their dues" by holding other positions and by working for and contributing to other candidates. This guy comes across as someone who "married well" and has a sense of entitlement that led him to decide he wanted to become a congressman and proceed to throw millions of dollars at creating an image (the nice Hudson Valley homes) and paying for a facade of having roots in the community (throwing cheap loans at local businesses).

It's like him and his husband have imported the horrid "I'm a New Tech Wizard/Master of the Universe and I'm here to Save the World from the Poor Peons Who Don't Know How to Code" mentality from Silicon Valley and are trying to sell it in the Hudson Valley.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:10:49 AM »

Could not agree more. Platinum edition carpetbagging.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:34:46 AM »

It pains me to see terrible Dem campaigns like this. For one thing it seems incredibly entitled to just shop around for a Congressional seat, and for another, Eldrige (or his campaign manager) is running a bad campaign. I mean come on, I could run a better campaign than that.

Don't like the Hudsonites? Too bad, you decided to go to this district, get out there and shake some hands. Make your newcomer status a strength. Say you're willing to listen to Hudsonites and to take the time to learn what they need, unlike the current incumbent. Throw a few million at a turncoat Hudson Republican or something, to at least tell you how to appeal to the district and/or endorse you publicly. Feel entitled to a Congressional seat? Too bad, you could've primaried an NYC Democrat! Get out there, talk to the Hudsonites, actually try to figure out what they want, be visibly seen with them, tell the freaking reporters where you're going when campaigning!

Or maybe you could've waited a couple of years to allow your cheap loans to take affect (while still visibly being seen in the district). Gah, it boils my blood to see such terrible campaigns in a theoretically winnable district. It's not like Utah where unless your first name is Jim and your last name Matheson, you can't win anything apart from a Salt Lake City based state house district, no matter how well you campaign.

I mean, even just throwing money at a different Dem challenger to Gibson would've been better than this.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 09:41:22 AM »

It pains me to see terrible Dem campaigns like this. For one thing it seems incredibly entitled to just shop around for a Congressional seat, and for another, Eldrige (or his campaign manager) is running a bad campaign. I mean come on, I could run a better campaign than that.

Don't like the Hudsonites? Too bad, you decided to go to this district, get out there and shake some hands. Make your newcomer status a strength. Say you're willing to listen to Hudsonites and to take the time to learn what they need, unlike the current incumbent. Throw a few million at a turncoat Hudson Republican or something, to at least tell you how to appeal to the district and/or endorse you publicly. Feel entitled to a Congressional seat? Too bad, you could've primaried an NYC Democrat! Get out there, talk to the Hudsonites, actually try to figure out what they want, be visibly seen with them, tell the freaking reporters where you're going when campaigning!

Or maybe you could've waited a couple of years to allow your cheap loans to take affect (while still visibly being seen in the district). Gah, it boils my blood to see such terrible campaigns in a theoretically winnable district. It's not like Utah where unless your first name is Jim and your last name Matheson, you can't win anything apart from a Salt Lake City based state house district, no matter how well you campaign.

I mean, even just throwing money at a different Dem challenger to Gibson would've been better than this.

Martha Coakley, House edition.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 10:15:45 AM »

Martha Coakley, House edition.

Fair enough. Though wasn't there a Republican recently who thought he/she was entitled to a seat and fared very badly in the election?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »

Christ I hate Silicon Valley-type liberals, especially those who run for office, and ESPECIALLY those who ruin one of our best pick-up chances by being a conceited carpetbagger douche.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »

Gibson is a talent, so this might be a landslide loss for Eldridge.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 07:55:37 PM »

Gibson is a talent, so this might be a landslide loss for Eldridge.

At least Gibson probably doesn't have much appeal outside of his district...
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 09:41:43 PM »

Isn't this basically what Kirsten Gillibrand did?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »

Meh, it makes no difference. Gibson is safe. It would take a Dem wave AND a great opponent to beat him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies