20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:12:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA  (Read 2222 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:35 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26959628
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »

This was supposed to be a thread about ACA exchange sign up rates- but then I saw the news.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:35:37 AM »

Thank God it wasn't a shotgun.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »

Mass stabbing, so more than one stabber? Anyway sad. Sad
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »

Mass stabbing, so more than one stabber? Anyway sad. Sad

Local news reports have it as one 16 year old did the damage.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »

This is terrible, of course, but imagine what he would have done with a gun?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »

Maybe his parents aren't stupid enough to leave them accessible to kids....
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 10:44:32 AM »

Maybe his parents aren't stupid enough to leave them accessible to kids....

Or to own them at all Wink
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »

Absolutely terrible.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 10:51:47 AM »

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 11:34:06 AM »

Thank God he didn't have a nuke.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »

For those who think armed security guards are a good idea...

They had one, and this crazed knife-person stabbed him/her too.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 11:46:03 AM »

Is it that hard to accept the reasonable conclusion that the fact that this guy didn't have a gun (which is a common and easily obtainable weapon in the US....unlike nukes) saved many lives?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 11:59:58 AM »

Is it that hard to accept the reasonable conclusion that the fact that this guy didn't have a gun (which is a common and easily obtainable weapon in the US....unlike nukes) saved many lives?

Lives were also hypothetically saved by the fact that he didn't build a bomb.  Or by the fact he didn't burn the building down. No one is doubting it could have been worse, but guns had nothing to do with this.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 12:10:35 PM »

We should install background checks for people who want to buy nukes and regulate the amount of nukes you can have.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »

Lives were also hypothetically saved by the fact that he didn't build a bomb.  Or by the fact he didn't burn the building down. No one is doubting it could have been worse, but guns had nothing to do with this.

And what percentage of things like this happen with self-built bombs or by burning down the building? You can find a long list of things that are deadly, but guns are used in the vast majority of cases.

Be happy he apparently didn't have access to one.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »

But he didn't, so that's not really relevant, is it?  This seems pretty typical of the liberals of the forum.  Whenever a mass shooting occurs, you guys talk about how if we had much tighter gun control, stuff like this wouldn't happen, but when it's a non-gun incident, you still manage to turn the subject to guns.

The fact is, if violent people want to commit violent acts, they will, with or without access to a gun.

Perhaps if he had a gun, he would've been noticed and stopped sooner, and no violence would've occurred.  We don't know that, just like you don't know that it would've been worse had he had a gun.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »

But he didn't, so that's not really relevant, is it?  This seems pretty typical of the liberals of the forum.  Whenever a mass shooting occurs, you guys talk about how if we had much tighter gun control, stuff like this wouldn't happen, but when it's a non-gun incident, you still manage to turn the subject to guns.

The fact is, if violent people want to commit violent acts, they will, with or without access to a gun.

Perhaps if he had a gun, he would've been noticed and stopped sooner, and no violence would've occurred.  We don't know that, just like you don't know that it would've been worse had he had a gun.

If he had a gun, most of those people wouldn't have survived. Of course we don't know the outcome yet, but at the end of the day my guess is most of these people will survive. And that is because this kid used a knife, not a gun.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 12:30:43 PM »

What kind of weapon you use is relevant to how dangerous you are.  That's obvious, right?  A banana, grapefruit, sharpened stick, knife, sword, gun and weaponized anthrax all pose different levels of danger as weapons.

If I knew someone was going to commit a violent act against me, I hope they would use a banana and not a gun.  Right?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »

but at the end of the day my guess is most of these people will survive. And that is because this kid used a knife, not a gun.

No, at the end of the day, people are injured because of a knife. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »

They have everything to do with this. Sure, he could have built a bomb and caused even more damage, but how easy is it to get a bomb? Do people store bombs in their bomb cabinets that others will have access to? Can they walk into a million different stores, including Walmarts, to buy bombs? Easy access to guns is the real problem. There are too many guns out there. 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »

but at the end of the day my guess is most of these people will survive. And that is because this kid used a knife, not a gun.

No, at the end of the day, people are injured because of a knife. Nothing more, nothing less.

At the end of the day, these people would have died if a gun was used. Outcomes matter. I would rather be alive, but in pain, than be dead.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »

But I thought only guns could kill people! We need to ban knives now. These stupid, ignorant Ameritards can't be trusted with them either. And we need metal detectors in every room of every building! And background checks before you can cut your stake! By the way, you only need a small needle to cut your stake. No more of these kitchen knifes!
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »

I agree in principle.  But, I think the media subtext of this story is fairly clear.  NRA types are going to say that this proves gun control is useless and guns don't kill people, people kill people.  I think there's a desire to get ahead of that narrative and clarify what this actually means.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »

But I thought only guns could kill people! We need to ban knives now. These stupid, ignorant Ameritards can't be trusted with them either. And we need metal detectors in every room of every building! And background checks before you can cut your stake! By the way, you only need a small needle to cut your stake. No more of these kitchen knifes!

How many people died from this? I love how your post itself refutes the argument you seek to make.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies