20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:14:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA  (Read 2251 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 12:39:23 PM »

Also, this incident proves that America has a severe mental health crisis if anything. If guns are banned, we are only going to see more knife incidents like this. We should be putting our energy into reasonable gun laws (background checks), but we really need to explore the fact that total rampages are occurring  in general. "Sit with new people at lunch" days and tolerance campaigns aren't going to do it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »

But I thought only guns could kill people! We need to ban knives now. These stupid, ignorant Ameritards can't be trusted with them either. And we need metal detectors in every room of every building! And background checks before you can cut your stake! By the way, you only need a small needle to cut your stake. No more of these kitchen knifes!

How many people died from this? I love how your post itself refutes the argument you seek to make.
Nobody...this time. How many people die in most shootings? For every major school shooting where at least one person is killed, their are ten other gun incidents in which nobody is even injured.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »

But I thought only guns could kill people! We need to ban knives now. These stupid, ignorant Ameritards can't be trusted with them either. And we need metal detectors in every room of every building! And background checks before you can cut your stake! By the way, you only need a small needle to cut your stake. No more of these kitchen knifes!

How many people died from this? I love how your post itself refutes the argument you seek to make.
Nobody...this time. How many people die in most shootings? For every major school shooting where at least one person is killed, their are ten other gun incidents in which nobody is even injured.

A gunshot wound is much more lethal than a knife wound. This kid was able to stab so many people because he did it stealthily. Someone else might not. The same goes with shootings and what strategy the shooter employs. The basic point though is that a gunshot wound is more lethal than a knife wound.

And I agree that people are in the end where the problem lies, not in guns, knives, bombs, grenades, fire etc etc. Accessibility to guns is the problem. The NRA standing against any checks in the system to ensure not every tom, dick and harry can get a gun is the problem. Guns don't need to be banned, but their purchase needs to be heavily regulated.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »

This is terrible, of course, but imagine what he would have done with a gun?

But he didn't, so that's not really relevant, is it?  This seems pretty typical of the liberals of the forum.  Whenever a mass shooting occurs, you guys talk about how if we had much tighter gun control, stuff like this wouldn't happen, but when it's a non-gun incident, you still manage to turn the subject to guns.

The fact is, if violent people want to commit violent acts, they will, with or without access to a gun.

Perhaps if he had a gun, he would've been noticed and stopped sooner, and no violence would've occurred.  We don't know that, just like you don't know that it would've been worse had he had a gun.

If he had a gun, most of those people wouldn't have survived. Of course we don't know the outcome yet, but at the end of the day my guess is most of these people will survive. And that is because this kid used a knife, not a gun.

That assumes he could actually hit somebody with a gun.  And like I said, there's the possibility that had he tried to sneak a gun in, he would've been noticed more easily than with the knife.

Yeah, in general a gun is going to be more dangerous than a knife, but that doesn't mean that the people in this thread need to or should turn this thread into an anti-gun crusade.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »

No one has popped up with the argument that an armed teacher would have ended this before he could have stabbed the second of 20? Hmmmmm.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 01:12:36 PM »

A gunshot wound is much more lethal than a knife wound. This kid was able to stab so many people because he did it stealthily. Someone else might not. The same goes with shootings and what strategy the shooter employs. The basic point though is that a gunshot wound is more lethal than a knife wound.

And I agree that people are in the end where the problem lies, not in guns, knives, bombs, grenades, fire etc etc. Accessibility to guns is the problem. The NRA standing against any checks in the system to ensure not every tom, dick and harry can get a gun is the problem. Guns don't need to be banned, but their purchase needs to be heavily regulated.
A gunshot wound is not automatically more lethal than a knife wound. It all depends on the individual incident, who is shooting, etc. I'd argue that even a silence gun would be noticed, and that panic would have followed. That didn't happen with a knife, and the attacker went unnoticed for most of the spree according to the reports from CNN.

That being said, I think we agree that we have a mental health crisis in this country and that access to guns is not helping it. But how much regulation is too much? That is a side debate that will be discussed time and time again, but right now we really need to be looking into what causes these incidents. The fact that if a gun is not available, a knife always is, does not really give credence to the "ban all guns" movement's message.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 01:27:17 PM »

All you people are just the worst.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 01:32:51 PM »

In all honesty, is there a way to have a thread about stuff like this without it being the worst?  I haven't seen it in 9 yrs here.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »

A good guy with a gun could have shot this thug dead.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »

Not bad, krazen. 30 minutes after I asked who would say this.  Smiley

You might be right, too.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 02:49:08 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2014, 02:53:53 PM by Sbane »

Yee haw!

Also can we never have one of those why do asians vote democrat threads again? I think the answer is quite obvious and it keeps getting reinforced every time something like this happens.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 03:32:16 PM »

I live half an hour away from there.  Krazen, NO ONE would have wanted that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »

Yeah, as pro-gun as I am, that scenario is 90% likely to result in more unintended consequences.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »

Wait, what? You wouldn't have wanted someone with a gun to have shot this guy before he did this?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »

Wait, what? You wouldn't have wanted someone with a gun to have shot this guy before he did this?

Right, I'm sure that's the aspect of Krazen's post that he was responding to, rather than the aspect of having guns in schools.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 05:02:55 PM »

In a school full of kids, and likely no clear line of sight on the guy, so that there is high chance Rambo shoots and kills someone other than his intended target?  Keep in mind, one of his victims was the school's security guard.  The idea that an amateur with a gun would have done a better job in this situation is ludicrous.  As it was, the kid was subdued by the assistant principal without having to fire a shot.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 07:26:46 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2014, 03:51:16 AM by True Federalist »

I split off debate on Car Control into its own thread.  That split raised a little ruckus which I have also split off from this thread and merged into the other thread in an effort to get this thread refocused on this particular unfortunate incident.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=190645.0
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies