20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:22:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA  (Read 2282 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: April 09, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »

This is terrible, of course, but imagine what he would have done with a gun?

But he didn't, so that's not really relevant, is it?  This seems pretty typical of the liberals of the forum.  Whenever a mass shooting occurs, you guys talk about how if we had much tighter gun control, stuff like this wouldn't happen, but when it's a non-gun incident, you still manage to turn the subject to guns.

The fact is, if violent people want to commit violent acts, they will, with or without access to a gun.

Perhaps if he had a gun, he would've been noticed and stopped sooner, and no violence would've occurred.  We don't know that, just like you don't know that it would've been worse had he had a gun.

If he had a gun, most of those people wouldn't have survived. Of course we don't know the outcome yet, but at the end of the day my guess is most of these people will survive. And that is because this kid used a knife, not a gun.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »

Is it that hard to accept the reasonable conclusion that the fact that this guy didn't have a gun (which is a common and easily obtainable weapon in the US....unlike nukes) saved many lives?

Lives were also hypothetically saved by the fact that he didn't build a bomb.  Or by the fact he didn't burn the building down. No one is doubting it could have been worse, but guns had nothing to do with this.

They have everything to do with this. Sure, he could have built a bomb and caused even more damage, but how easy is it to get a bomb? Do people store bombs in their bomb cabinets that others will have access to? Can they walk into a million different stores, including Walmarts, to buy bombs? Easy access to guns is the real problem. There are too many guns out there. 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »

but at the end of the day my guess is most of these people will survive. And that is because this kid used a knife, not a gun.

No, at the end of the day, people are injured because of a knife. Nothing more, nothing less.

At the end of the day, these people would have died if a gun was used. Outcomes matter. I would rather be alive, but in pain, than be dead.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »

But I thought only guns could kill people! We need to ban knives now. These stupid, ignorant Ameritards can't be trusted with them either. And we need metal detectors in every room of every building! And background checks before you can cut your stake! By the way, you only need a small needle to cut your stake. No more of these kitchen knifes!

How many people died from this? I love how your post itself refutes the argument you seek to make.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »

But I thought only guns could kill people! We need to ban knives now. These stupid, ignorant Ameritards can't be trusted with them either. And we need metal detectors in every room of every building! And background checks before you can cut your stake! By the way, you only need a small needle to cut your stake. No more of these kitchen knifes!

How many people died from this? I love how your post itself refutes the argument you seek to make.
Nobody...this time. How many people die in most shootings? For every major school shooting where at least one person is killed, their are ten other gun incidents in which nobody is even injured.

A gunshot wound is much more lethal than a knife wound. This kid was able to stab so many people because he did it stealthily. Someone else might not. The same goes with shootings and what strategy the shooter employs. The basic point though is that a gunshot wound is more lethal than a knife wound.

And I agree that people are in the end where the problem lies, not in guns, knives, bombs, grenades, fire etc etc. Accessibility to guns is the problem. The NRA standing against any checks in the system to ensure not every tom, dick and harry can get a gun is the problem. Guns don't need to be banned, but their purchase needs to be heavily regulated.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 02:49:08 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2014, 02:53:53 PM by Sbane »

A good guy with a gun could have shot this thug dead.

Yee haw!

Also can we never have one of those why do asians vote democrat threads again? I think the answer is quite obvious and it keeps getting reinforced every time something like this happens.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies