20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:06:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA  (Read 2259 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: April 09, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »

But I thought only guns could kill people! We need to ban knives now. These stupid, ignorant Ameritards can't be trusted with them either. And we need metal detectors in every room of every building! And background checks before you can cut your stake! By the way, you only need a small needle to cut your stake. No more of these kitchen knifes!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 12:39:23 PM »

Also, this incident proves that America has a severe mental health crisis if anything. If guns are banned, we are only going to see more knife incidents like this. We should be putting our energy into reasonable gun laws (background checks), but we really need to explore the fact that total rampages are occurring  in general. "Sit with new people at lunch" days and tolerance campaigns aren't going to do it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »

But I thought only guns could kill people! We need to ban knives now. These stupid, ignorant Ameritards can't be trusted with them either. And we need metal detectors in every room of every building! And background checks before you can cut your stake! By the way, you only need a small needle to cut your stake. No more of these kitchen knifes!

How many people died from this? I love how your post itself refutes the argument you seek to make.
Nobody...this time. How many people die in most shootings? For every major school shooting where at least one person is killed, their are ten other gun incidents in which nobody is even injured.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 01:12:36 PM »

How many people died from this? I love how your post itself refutes the argument you seek to make.
Nobody...this time. How many people die in most shootings? For every major school shooting where at least one person is killed, their are ten other gun incidents in which nobody is even injured.

A gunshot wound is much more lethal than a knife wound. This kid was able to stab so many people because he did it stealthily. Someone else might not. The same goes with shootings and what strategy the shooter employs. The basic point though is that a gunshot wound is more lethal than a knife wound.

And I agree that people are in the end where the problem lies, not in guns, knives, bombs, grenades, fire etc etc. Accessibility to guns is the problem. The NRA standing against any checks in the system to ensure not every tom, dick and harry can get a gun is the problem. Guns don't need to be banned, but their purchase needs to be heavily regulated.
A gunshot wound is not automatically more lethal than a knife wound. It all depends on the individual incident, who is shooting, etc. I'd argue that even a silence gun would be noticed, and that panic would have followed. That didn't happen with a knife, and the attacker went unnoticed for most of the spree according to the reports from CNN.

That being said, I think we agree that we have a mental health crisis in this country and that access to guns is not helping it. But how much regulation is too much? That is a side debate that will be discussed time and time again, but right now we really need to be looking into what causes these incidents. The fact that if a gun is not available, a knife always is, does not really give credence to the "ban all guns" movement's message.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »

I live half an hour away from there.  Krazen, NO ONE would have wanted that.
Yeah, as pro-gun as I am, that scenario is 90% likely to result in more unintended consequences.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies