20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:17:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 20 Students Stabbed at High School in PA  (Read 2270 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: April 09, 2014, 12:30:43 PM »

This is terrible, of course, but imagine what he would have done with a gun?

But he didn't, so that's not really relevant, is it?  This seems pretty typical of the liberals of the forum.  Whenever a mass shooting occurs, you guys talk about how if we had much tighter gun control, stuff like this wouldn't happen, but when it's a non-gun incident, you still manage to turn the subject to guns.

The fact is, if violent people want to commit violent acts, they will, with or without access to a gun.

Perhaps if he had a gun, he would've been noticed and stopped sooner, and no violence would've occurred.  We don't know that, just like you don't know that it would've been worse had he had a gun.

What kind of weapon you use is relevant to how dangerous you are.  That's obvious, right?  A banana, grapefruit, sharpened stick, knife, sword, gun and weaponized anthrax all pose different levels of danger as weapons.

If I knew someone was going to commit a violent act against me, I hope they would use a banana and not a gun.  Right?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »

but at the end of the day my guess is most of these people will survive. And that is because this kid used a knife, not a gun.

No, at the end of the day, people are injured because of a knife. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree in principle.  But, I think the media subtext of this story is fairly clear.  NRA types are going to say that this proves gun control is useless and guns don't kill people, people kill people.  I think there's a desire to get ahead of that narrative and clarify what this actually means.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies