Senate Blocks Pay Equity Bill, 53-44
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:52:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate Blocks Pay Equity Bill, 53-44
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Senate Blocks Pay Equity Bill, 53-44  (Read 1271 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »

What does the act purport to do?

"The bill seeks to give female workers new tools to combat pay discrimination by allowing workers to compare salaries without threat of employer retaliation, requiring companies to explain pay disparities and permitting those who claim discrimination to seek monetary damages."

Those who claim discrimination can seek monetary damages now, no?  Do you want everyone in the company to know what you are making? I doubt an employer has any right to take action against anyone who discloses their salary to someone else as it is. Oh well, I don't have time to look into this thing deeper at the moment. Thanks for the note.

It's pretty common for company policies to forbid this. My employer does.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 07:43:15 PM »

"The bill seeks to give female workers new tools to combat pay discrimination by allowing workers to compare salaries without threat of employer retaliation, requiring companies to explain pay disparities and permitting those who claim discrimination to seek monetary damages."

Those who claim discrimination can seek monetary damages now, no?  Do you want everyone in the company to know what you are making? I doubt an employer has any right to take action against anyone who discloses their salary to someone else as it is. Oh well, I don't have time to look into this thing deeper at the moment. Thanks for the note.

Sounds like a first amendment violation. Anyway, I would support that aspect of the bill.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2014, 07:52:45 PM »

Sounds like a first amendment violation. Anyway, I would support that aspect of the bill.
Where is the government forbidding you from saying things there? It's a private entity. If they ask you not say things, they can hold you responsible if you disregard that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2014, 08:10:49 PM »

Where is the government forbidding you from saying things there? It's a private entity. If they ask you not say things, they can hold you responsible if you disregard that.
Only if that provision is part of the contract, of course.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2014, 08:33:21 PM »

It's very commonly written into contracts, but it's not legally enforceable in most situations.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 08:42:18 PM »

In what is a hilarious coincidence that is built on the same logic as the 77 cent lie:

Mark Udall pays women 85 cents for every dollar that a man makes.
Mary Landrieu pays women 88 cents for every dollar that a man makes.
Mark Warner pays women 75 cents for every dollar that a man makes.
Gary Peters pays women 67 cents for every dollar that a man makes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies