Senate Blocks Pay Equity Bill, 53-44
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:24:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate Blocks Pay Equity Bill, 53-44
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Senate Blocks Pay Equity Bill, 53-44  (Read 1292 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:52:55 AM »

http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4495064/senate-blocks-pay-equity-bill-53-44

Angus King voted against it, too.  Wow.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:59:36 AM »

[inks]ing bull[inks]
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »

I will never not be outraged when something fails with a majority voting for it. Our system is a f**king joke.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:11:52 PM »

Wait, I thought King was a progressive-ish type?
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 03:34:09 PM »

"Muh burden on business."

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »

The Republican War on Women continues.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »

Why did Reid vote No?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 03:40:41 PM »

That's a procedural thing.  It makes it easier to bring the legislation back to the floor, for some reason.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 03:41:32 PM »

Whenever the Democrats lose a vote, Reid switches his vote from Yes to No. Under Senate rules, this allows him to bring up the bill for a vote later.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »

Nope
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »

Angus King is a traitor
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 05:39:34 PM »

Remember, he's not a real Democrat to begin with.

The term 'moderate hero' was coined with reference to someone else (Mark Warner, maybe? I wasn't here for it but I think I heard that that was the case), but it could just as easily have been coined with reference to Angus King.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »

The term 'moderate hero' was coined with reference to someone else (Mark Warner, maybe? I wasn't here for it but I think I heard that that was the case), but it could just as easily have been coined with reference to Angus King.
There is a huge difference between Mark Warneresque moderate heroism and Angus King's literal independent centrism.

He was not on your side to begin with. He has said that he will caucus with whoever the majority is, due to his indepedent status.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 05:48:30 PM »

This bill would basically mean businesses would be guilty of discrimination unless they could prove they were innocent.  It should never have gotten 53 votes.   

You want to lower the pay gap, invest in more single-sex math and science education for girls.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 05:59:04 PM »

Since this wouldn't have passed in the House anyway, bringing this to a vote a third time in the Senate is almost as pathetic as the repeated House attempts to repeal Obamacare.

In any case, this is a flawed bill.  Not because I fear that it will be misimplemented in the way shua fears it will be, tho if it were to be it would be a major problem.  However, as intended, the major provision of this bill is reasonable, tho I think it won't accomplish as much proponents think it will.  However, some of its subsidiary portions, especially sections 5 and 7, are rather execrable provisions for such a short bill.  Section 5 establishes yet another boondoggle of an "education" program to hand out grants to teach girls and women negotiation skills.  These sorts of pork programs rarely accomplish anything meaningful except hand out money.  Section 7 is even more useless as all it does is establish the "Secretary of Labor’s National Award for Pay Equity in the Workplace".  I suppose it would make whoever gets it feel good, but it won't do anything to actually improve pay equity.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 07:40:43 PM »

This bill would basically mean businesses would be guilty of discrimination unless they could prove they were innocent.  It should never have gotten 53 votes.   

You want to lower the pay gap, invest in more single-sex math and science education for girls.

Weird as it is to say it, I'm with Shua on this one. The bill has it's heart in the right place, but it's methodology is stupid. King's the only one who had the balls to vote it down.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »

Or they could, ya know, not discriminate and then they wouldn't have any problems...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »

That GOP outreach to women is still going well, I see.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 09:23:55 PM »

There is a huge difference between Mark Warneresque moderate heroism and Angus King's literal independent centrism.

King may have more of an excuse and be somewhat more genuine, sure, but it would be naive to argue that his status as an independent doesn't, among other things, enable him to triangulate til the cows come home. It's a different type of moderate heroism but it's still moderate heroism, essentially the Olympia Snowe schtick continued from a different angle. If you're looking for a principled moderate in the Senate these days, your best bets would probably be found a lot further west.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 09:26:58 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well those critics are right. Women get paid less because they tend to work lower paying jobs than men. Not really up for debate, don't see why some on the left keep trying to pretend otherwise.

If we want to have a discussion about why women work lower paying jobs, thats fine, but for some in Washington to pretend that 'equal work' short changes women .23 cents is absurd.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »

As shua and others have said, it is a poorly designed mess of feel good, political point scoring garbage. The real travesty is that it got so many aye votes.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 02:25:07 PM »

Dafuq?

Or they could, ya know, not discriminate and then they wouldn't have any problems...

I take it you're a PATRIOT Act supporter?

Because you could you know, not do any terrorist stuff and there wouldn't be any problems...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 05:32:59 PM »

What does the act purport to do? Change the burden of proof, so that you are guilty until proven innocent?  Does that strike anyone as fair?  Anything else it purported to do, assuming it did the burden shift as alleged above?  Sometimes, just because a Bill has a nice sounding name, with cute puppies on its cover, doesn't mean that what is inside is the cat's meow.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 07:20:38 PM »

What does the act purport to do?

"The bill seeks to give female workers new tools to combat pay discrimination by allowing workers to compare salaries without threat of employer retaliation, requiring companies to explain pay disparities and permitting those who claim discrimination to seek monetary damages."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 07:32:53 PM »

What does the act purport to do?

"The bill seeks to give female workers new tools to combat pay discrimination by allowing workers to compare salaries without threat of employer retaliation, requiring companies to explain pay disparities and permitting those who claim discrimination to seek monetary damages."

Those who claim discrimination can seek monetary damages now, no?  Do you want everyone in the company to know what you are making?  I doubt an employer has any right to take action against anyone who discloses their salary to someone else as it is. Oh well, I don't have time to look into this thing deeper at the moment. Thanks for the note.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies