Opinion of Sharia law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:12:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Sharia law
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Freedom law

Horrible law

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Opinion of Sharia law  (Read 644 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »

Horrible law, many homosexuals have been wrongly executed (over 4000 in Iran).
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »

Well, in NC, we're struggling to fund education and healthcare, but I'm sure glad the Assembly made a point of banning Sharia law.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:53:13 PM »

Freedom law. I am an atheist, communist, anti-American communist. And a protest voter.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »

Well, in NC, we're struggling to fund education and healthcare, but I'm sure glad the Assembly made a point of banning Sharia law.
I support them making a point like that, as long as it doesn't distract them from really important issues like healthcare.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:21:52 PM »

I support them making a point like that, as long as it doesn't distract them from really important issues like healthcare.

Why? Sharia law clearly violates the First Amendment, and presumably every state Constitution too in some way, so it's just a completely unnecessary publicity stunt.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:26:58 PM »

Why? Sharia law clearly violates the First Amendment, and presumably every state Constitution too in some way, so it's just a completely unnecessary publicity stunt.
Sharia law violates several Amendments, I'm sure Tongue.

The whole point of banning Sharia is too get elderly white voters riled up. And it works pretty well, even as the use of radical Islam alarmism is fading.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:30:50 PM »

Horrible law, obviously. Of course, the U.S. is also not in any danger of falling victim to it.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 08:51:03 PM »

Not necessarily.  Many Arab countries use something that could be called Sharia law.  So, if a US court was applying say, Saudi Arabian law in a case, we would be using Sharia law.  That certainly can happen and does happen.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:59:17 PM »

One of the biggest problems facing America today. Glad to see North Carolina leading the fight against this serious threat!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 10:24:29 PM »

A large part of Sharia law is fine and good.  It has to do with being an observant Muslim, being a good neighbor, conducting business and contracts, etc etc.  There are some awful aspects of the Sharia law but then the same could be said of the laws of Moses or Justinian.  The violent and truly oppressive aspects have to give way to basic human rights, but if people want to organize themselves according to their religion and cultural traditions in a peaceable way, they should be able to.   

During medieval times Muslims, even while considering themselves to be following Sharia, allowed Christians and Jews - although second class citizens - to practice their faith and customs.  Many Christians and Jews in the middle east today can only wish that interpretation of Sharia had been followed in the past few decades. So a great deal of what Sharia involves depends on interpretation.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 03:32:48 PM »

Horrible, but irrelevant outside the tea party right wing mind.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 08:39:45 AM »

If you wish to subject yourself to such, that is fine. I have a huge problem with those that wish to subject Sharia law upon others. I vote HL.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »

A large part of Sharia law is fine and good.  It has to do with being an observant Muslim, being a good neighbor, conducting business and contracts, etc etc.  There are some awful aspects of the Sharia law but then the same could be said of the laws of Moses or Justinian.  The violent and truly oppressive aspects have to give way to basic human rights, but if people want to organize themselves according to their religion and cultural traditions in a peaceable way, they should be able to.  

During medieval times Muslims, even while considering themselves to be following Sharia, allowed Christians and Jews - although second class citizens - to practice their faith and customs.  Many Christians and Jews in the middle east today can only wish that interpretation of Sharia had been followed in the past few decades. So a great deal of what Sharia involves depends on interpretation.

This.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies