Ontario 2014 (June 12th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:54:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2014 (June 12th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 40
Author Topic: Ontario 2014 (June 12th)  (Read 69042 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »

Do the dippers have a chance of winning this outright? Or minority government?

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2014, 12:50:49 PM »

Do the dippers have a chance of winning this outright? Or minority government?

Unlikely given polling numbers / memories of 1990
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2014, 03:00:30 PM »

VoteCompas is back http://www.cbc.ca/elections/ontariovotes2014/votecompass
seems odd, some Federal questions like Euthanasia were listed.

NDP - 80%
GRN - 74%
OLP - 71%
PC  - 33% (Ha! that much!)
... I'm more Economic Left & Social Liberal

Also... Can the NDP win? memories of 90, the NDP surprised most and won... anything can happen Smiley Also, anyone have polling from the 90 election?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2014, 03:59:36 PM »

Weighted / unweighted

Greenies 79% / 79%
NDP 74% / 76%
Libs 62% / 65%
Purgatories 34% / 37%
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2014, 04:31:14 PM »

Mine were:

PC 65
GRN 46
LIB 43
NDP 39

Although I have the Liberal colour in my name, that's because when I signed up I mostly commented on US results where I would be a Democrat. In Canada I consider myself centre-right. The Liberals under Wynne have swung so far left they are basically in the same spot as the NDP on the spectrum. I am not quite as right wing as Hudak, but I believe in balance on the spectrum so if you swing too far one you need to balance it out the other way. The reason I only got 65 PC as I agree the deficit as a major issue and requires big spending cuts, but I unlike Hudak I am opposed to tax cuts prior to balancing the budget.

Federally I wouldn't vote Conservative though not because Harper is too right wing, but he's too autocratic. I wouldn't vote Liberal either as Justin Trudeau is a complete lightweight and is only leader because of his looks and father. I will probably vote Independent next federal election.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2014, 04:42:04 PM »

Mine were:

PC 65
GRN 46
LIB 43
NDP 39

Although I have the Liberal colour in my name, that's because when I signed up I mostly commented on US results where I would be a Democrat. In Canada I consider myself centre-right. The Liberals under Wynne have swung so far left they are basically in the same spot as the NDP on the spectrum. I am not quite as right wing as Hudak, but I believe in balance on the spectrum so if you swing too far one you need to balance it out the other way. The reason I only got 65 PC as I agree the deficit as a major issue and requires big spending cuts, but I unlike Hudak I am opposed to tax cuts prior to balancing the budget.

Federally I wouldn't vote Conservative though not because Harper is too right wing, but he's too autocratic. I wouldn't vote Liberal either as Justin Trudeau is a complete lightweight and is only leader because of his looks and father. I will probably vote Independent next federal election.

Independent? You better hope there's going to be an independent running.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »

Mine were:

PC 65
GRN 46
LIB 43
NDP 39

That's federally, provincially I am voting PC, but federally I will go Independent or a third party. The Libertarian party always puts up a candidate my riding so although not nearly as ideological as them, that's probably who I will go for. I am though hoping Harper resigns and then I might vote Tory. I might also just vote for whomever is the best local candidate so definitely not Liberal since it's Adam Vaughan who I cannot stand.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #207 on: May 07, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »

NDP 74
GRN 72
LIB 70
PC 39
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »

Mine were:

PC 65
GRN 46
LIB 43
NDP 39

That's federally, provincially I am voting PC, but federally I will go Independent or a third party. The Libertarian party always puts up a candidate my riding so although not nearly as ideological as them, that's probably who I will go for. I am though hoping Harper resigns and then I might vote Tory. I might also just vote for whomever is the best local candidate so definitely not Liberal since it's Adam Vaughan who I cannot stand.

Cool. I always like it when people vote for small parties. Luckily the NDP is close enough to me ideologically that I haven't really considered voting for any other party. Municipally I have voted for fringe candidates though.
Krago
« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »

But have you ever voted for John C. Turmel?  I have.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #210 on: May 07, 2014, 06:20:16 PM »

But have you ever voted for John C. Turmel?  I have.

I've had just one opportunity to do so (last August) and did not. I would've voted for him had I been old enough in the 1997 Ottawa-Carleton Regional Chair election. Alas, I was only 11.

My results:

NDP: 73
Grn: 68
Lib: 62
PC: 41
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #211 on: May 07, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »

NDP: 72
OLP: 70
Grn: 69
PC: 47
the506
Canada

« Reply #212 on: May 07, 2014, 07:13:45 PM »

PC 59
Green 53
NDP 49
Liberal 47

That's what happens when your views are all over the map.

I'd probably vote Libertarian though.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #213 on: May 07, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »

Today's roundup.

Star says Horwath's bumbling, compares her to Ford on populism and gravy train.
adma
« Reply #214 on: May 07, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »

Why is the NDP all of a sudden popular in Southwestern Ontario? Outside of Windsor, it's not exactly traditional NDP territory. Perhaps it's the economy?

One factor not mentioned is that Andrea Horwath herself might come across as a favourite-daughter "heartland" leader--Hamilton as a gateway to SW Ontario more than as part of the GTA commuter belt.  (Technically, Hudak might also have claim to such command--but somehow doesn't project it.)
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #215 on: May 07, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »

Is it correct to assume that although pollsters are weighting by the regions that they publish, they are not further weighting within these regions? So a southwest sample could have, say, Windsor overrepresented one time and then rural areas overrepresented the next time?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #216 on: May 07, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »

Is it correct to assume that although pollsters are weighting by the regions that they publish, they are not further weighting within these regions? So a southwest sample could have, say, Windsor overrepresented one time and then rural areas overrepresented the next time?

I doubt it. If there's any regional weighting, it's likely based on their reported regions.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #217 on: May 07, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »

Yes. This is why samples are technically speaking trash and should not be taken as anything other than vaguely indicative. And frankly sometimes not even that.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #218 on: May 07, 2014, 08:52:01 PM »

Thanks for your insight, Al.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #219 on: May 07, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »

Do you want to declare an interest? Tongue

(Grin)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #220 on: May 07, 2014, 09:34:45 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2014, 09:39:16 PM by Holmes »

Bisson signs starting to appear every fifty meters in town here, already really oversaturated. PC candidate's signs are also popping up but not as much. Liberals nowhere to be found and it will stay that way most likely.

lol@ the comments on local newspaper websites. They always seem to attract the worst people, although Timmins' politics aren't that great to begin with.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2014, 07:05:40 AM »

Signs aren't legally allowed to go up until the 12th I think, but that won't stop campaigns from putting them up this weekend. A few people have recycled signs up from the August by-election (same three candidates). Including me, but I never took mine out of my window; no one can see it here on the 15th floor, facing away from the street.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:40 AM »

Hudak: 200k jobs over 4 years from eliminating restrictions on skilled trades. Other parts of the "Million Jobs Plan" are out tonight. That said, I'm very skeptical of anyone throwing out jobs numbers.
DL
Canada

« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2014, 08:54:47 AM »

Boy the Toronto Star is really in "campaign mode" now - Regg Cohn in particular doesnt even make the slightest pretence to being fair - his columns literally read like they were ghost written by the Liberal war room. This is such a total hatchet job on Andrea Horwath - big deal if she didn't have a bus for the first two of the unofficial campaign. Ontario election writs are dropped on Wednesday's and I'm sure the NDP was caught slightly off-guard by Wynne announcing the election last Friday - 5 days before it could legally start - in the overall scheme of things - so what? Then he goes on to accuse Horwath of not saying how she would pay for her promises - well fair enough but his beloved Kathleen Wynne just brought in a budget with BILLIONS of dollars worth of expensive commitments and no way to pay for any of them other than jacking up the deficit - that doesn't seem to bother him at all.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »

Boy the Toronto Star is really in "campaign mode" now - Regg Cohn in particular doesnt even make the slightest pretence to being fair - his columns literally read like they were ghost written by the Liberal war room. This is such a total hatchet job on Andrea Horwath - big deal if she didn't have a bus for the first two of the unofficial campaign. Ontario election writs are dropped on Wednesday's and I'm sure the NDP was caught slightly off-guard by Wynne announcing the election last Friday - 5 days before it could legally start - in the overall scheme of things - so what? Then he goes on to accuse Horwath of not saying how she would pay for her promises - well fair enough but his beloved Kathleen Wynne just brought in a budget with BILLIONS of dollars worth of expensive commitments and no way to pay for any of them other than jacking up the deficit - that doesn't seem to bother him at all.

The only thing worth reading in the Star is Chantal Hebert.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies