Hillary is "thinking about it"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:28:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary is "thinking about it"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Hillary is "thinking about it"  (Read 1178 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »

As opposed to Ted Cruz or Elizabeth Warren?

Ted Cruz had the whole government shutdown/filibuster thing in his first year as Senator.  Though I think it was a publicity stunt, it was certainly grabbed people's attention (and thus he succeeded in his goal).  Elizabeth Warren at least challenges the Democratic establishment on some issues.

But those two aren't nearly as popular as Clinton.  What's so great about Clinton, where is the substance?  Does she represent a new way of governing?  What would she bring to Washington?  What has she accomplished besides being a war hawk and supporting the PATRIOT Act?
I'm unlikely to vote for Hillary Clinton, but I can appreciate her appeal.

1. She would be the first female President, representing a milestone many in the country believe to be significant.

2. She has a good resume on paper. She was essentially a senior adviser to Bill Clinton, before she became Senator, before she became Secretary of State.

3. She has used the stint as Secretary of State to mitigate her negatives. If the perception was that she was petty and entitled, she had a drama-free stint in the administration of the man who beat her in a hard fought campaign.

4. Her stint as Secretary of State took her out of domestic politics during the Obama administration, allowing her to become a blank slate, someone on whom progressives, liberals and centrists could project their ideal political solutions.

5. Her experience is also ideal for Obama supporters and critics. Supporters could be convinced that we now need a competent manager to protect Obama's legacy. Many of the critics would claim the Obama administration showed the need for someone who really understands Washington.

6. Her husband's presidency is fondly remembered, especially in comparison to George W Bush (Katrina, Great Recession, Middle-East Wars) and Barack Obama (Great Recession, Obamacare problems, Leading from behind.)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 10:35:21 AM »

This stage of the 2016 presidential election (November 7th, 2012-summer 2015ish) is a truly painful time.
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 11:33:52 AM »

She wins if:

2016 is at least an okay period for the democrats. Obama with a decent approval rating.

Then you add in current presidential election demographs and a not too inspired republican field, It's hard to see her losing.

Still too early, though.

Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »

I left out her biggest strength: the lack of an obvious opponent.

Joe Biden is in his seventies, an old white guy in a party that favors youth and milestones.

There are quite a few competent Governors and Senators who are all plausible Presidents (Amy Klobuchar, Kirsten Gilibrand, John Hickenlooper, Deval Patrick, Cory Booker, Mark Warner, Andrew Cuomo, Martin O'Malley) but the typical voter will be unable to say what distinguishes one from another.

Elizabeth Warren's the best positioned to give Hillary a run for her money, but doesn't seem interested in national office.

There's no Senator with the national reputation McCain had eight years ago. There's no executive with the status of Rudy Giuliani eight years ago (or post-Sandy/ pre-Bridgegate Chris Christie) on the Democratic side. Barack Obama had unique appeal with academics and activists, thanks to a milestone arguably greater than that of first female President. John Edwards used his post-2004 national profile to be an anti-poverty advocate. This time around, there doesn't seem to be an obvious alternative for the Democrats.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2014, 12:38:49 PM »

I'm unlikely to vote for Hillary Clinton, but I can appreciate her appeal.

1. She would be the first female President, representing a milestone many in the country believe to be significant.

Yeah, but there are other female Democrats who could run.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A career politician, I guess that appeals to some people.

Experience is good, but what did she accomplish?  Hillary fans can't come up with any good accomplishments.

Well, Hillary was supportive of those Middle East Wars and doesn't seem to have changed her positions.  But yeah, I guess the best thing going for her is her husband.  But then again, younger voters don't remember the Clinton Presidency.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »

A first of anything DOESN'T guarantee it will be a success. 

Exactly. Just ask Geraldine Ferarro about that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies