Hillary is "thinking about it"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:57:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary is "thinking about it"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hillary is "thinking about it"  (Read 1173 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:24:39 PM »

I'm pretty sure this is the first time she's explicitly confirmed it - maybe not?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »

Hilldawg will never be President.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:28:31 PM »

She's been thinking about it for a while. At this rate I'd be surprised, though not shocked, if she stayed out.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »

We won't know that for another year.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 08:42:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure this is the first time she's explicitly confirmed it - maybe not?

Nope, not the first time.  It may be the first time she's succinctly used the phrase "I'm thinking about it", but she's said that she's thinking about it using paragraph form many times before.  For example, in September:

The key quotes from that article...

When asked if she wrestles with the question of whether to run for president:

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »

You wish.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 03:55:11 PM »

What is the deal with the hype about Hillary?  She's a war hawk who supports the NSA destroying our privacy.  That's the kind of thing that turns off independents.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 03:57:37 PM »

What is the deal with the hype about Hillary?  She's a war hawk who supports the NSA destroying our privacy.  That's the kind of thing that turns off independents.
Not all Independents are dove-y civil libertarians, and considering Hillary's leading all opponents by considerable margins (Yeah, the numbers will die down in 2016, but still), she's the Democrats' best hope.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 04:04:44 PM »

Not all Independents are dove-y civil libertarians, and considering Hillary's leading all opponents by considerable margins (Yeah, the numbers will die down in 2016, but still), she's the Democrats' best hope.

Not all, but the majority.  Every day the American public turns to what both parties' establishments refer to as "dangerous isolationism."

But anyway, why is she so popular in the first place?  Is it because she's Bill's wife?  What did she accomplish in the Senate?
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »

Not all, but the majority.  Every day the American public turns to what both parties' establishments refer to as "dangerous isolationism."

But anyway, why is she so popular in the first place?  Is it because she's Bill's wife?  What did she accomplish in the Senate?
She has been shown to crush many Republican candidates in 2016, and the 2016 Republican field is crap, though if she doesn't run, then it's wide open.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »

She has been shown to crush many Republican candidates in 2016, and the 2016 Republican field is crap, though if she doesn't run, then it's wide open.

I've seen the polling, and I don't understand why people love her.  Could you please help me out?
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »

I've seen the polling, and I don't understand why people love her.  Could you please help me out?
Because a lot of people want a woman President (Me included), and she has managed to avoid any Gaffes that could destroy her reputation, and she's fairly within the mainstream.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »

What did she accomplish in the Senate?

Nothing noteworthy.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »

What is the deal with the hype about Hillary?  She's a war hawk who supports the NSA destroying our privacy.  That's the kind of thing that turns off independents.

I dig that sh*t.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »

@ Kalwejt, doesn't surprise me.

Because a lot of people want a woman President (Me included), and she has managed to avoid any Gaffes that could destroy her reputation, and she's fairly within the mainstream.

Can you think of a better reason to vote for Hillary than because she'd be the first woman President?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »

Obama was the first African-American president, but how did his 1st term turn out so far?  A first of anything DOESN'T guarantee it will be a success.  If Hillary ends up being the first woman president, we'll see how she turns out.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 04:36:47 PM »

What did she accomplish in the Senate?
She was a rubber stamp for Bush administration foreign policy and tried to ban violent video games or something. That's about it.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »

CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »

She was a rubber stamp for Bush administration foreign policy and tried to ban violent video games or something. That's about it.

And I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the average Democrat (or Republican or Independent) does't know that. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »

As opposed to Ted Cruz or Elizabeth Warren?
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 07:47:50 PM »

Ted Cruz had the whole government shutdown/filibuster thing in his first year as Senator.  Though I think it was a publicity stunt, it was certainly grabbed people's attention (and thus he succeeded in his goal).  Elizabeth Warren at least challenges the Democratic establishment on some issues.

But those two aren't nearly as popular as Clinton.  What's so great about Clinton, where is the substance?  Does she represent a new way of governing?  What would she bring to Washington?  What has she accomplished besides being a war hawk and supporting the PATRIOT Act?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 08:09:09 PM »

Ted Cruz had the whole government shutdown/filibuster thing in his first year as Senator.  Though I think it was a publicity stunt, it was certainly grabbed people's attention (and thus he succeeded in his goal).  Elizabeth Warren at least challenges the Democratic establishment on some issues.

But those two aren't nearly as popular as Clinton.  What's so great about Clinton, where is the substance?  Does she represent a new way of governing?  What would she bring to Washington?  What has she accomplished besides being a war hawk and supporting the PATRIOT Act?

My point is that the same people who criticize Hillary about her "lack of accomplishments in the Senate" are the same people that support Cruz or Warren, or even worse, complete jokes like Ben Carson or Dennis Kucinich.

What does she bring to Washington? More experience than most presidential nominees, including the complete joke that is the 2016 Republican field. Experience in the White House, where we all know she was co-president with Bill. Experience in the Senate, where she has actually served a full term before trying to run for president (unlike most right wing heroes). And of course, experience as SoS where she excellently represented US interests abroad and routinely sported 60-70% approval ratings. And before you say it, nobody besides the right wing echo chamber cares about Benghazi.

Also, I hope you realize the irony of a Republican lecturing a Democrat for supporting the Iraq War and PATRIOT Act. The only reason so many Democrats voted for those bills was because Bush made the post 9/11 climate completely toxic with his "you're with us or you're with the terrorists" attitude and fear-based governance, one of many reasons he will go down as one of the worst presidents ever.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »

My point is that the same people who criticize Hillary about her "lack of accomplishments in the Senate" are the same people that support Cruz or Warren, or even worse, complete jokes like Ben Carson or Dennis Kucinich.

Carson, while I don't think is Presidential material, has made many great medical accomplishments and is independent-thinking in his politics.  Dennis Kucinich I respect because he was consistent, opposing both Bush and Obama in foreign policy.

Experience, I guess she has that.  But what did she do in her political career that's so great?

George Bush was a terrible President, I wholeheartedly agree with you.  There actually aren't that many Republican politicians I like.  The only reason I registered as a Republican is because of people like Ron and Rand Paul.  And I'll criticize unnecessary wars and government surveillance regardless of which party is doing it.

I'm honestly worried that Clinton is going to go into the White House, start another war, and expand government surveillance.  I'm so sick of politicians wanting to intervene in every conflict around the world.  And then everyone who doesn't agree is an "isolationist."
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »

We won't know that for another year.

That is my thoughts. We shouldn't be nailing down candidates so early on. Nobody expected Santorum to do as good as he did in 12
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 10:08:35 AM »

Hillary will have both the MSM and the financial establishment firmly behind her should she decide to run. If she does, then she is a near certainty to be the next POTUS (alas).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies