Can anyone see Trey Gowdy (R-SC) as House speaker?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:18:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can anyone see Trey Gowdy (R-SC) as House speaker?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can anyone see Trey Gowdy (R-SC) as House speaker?  (Read 2193 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
« edited: April 10, 2014, 03:13:13 PM by bronz4141 »

Let's face it: House Speaker John Boehner is not popular with the "grassroots" conservative wing of his GOP caucus. He is called "RINO", "traitor", and his speakership is always threatened. If the Republicans retain control of the House in 2014, can you see the caucus dumping Boehner, or bypassing Cantor for South Carolina congressman Trey Gowdy, a feisty, loud, and angry grassroots conservative?
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:55:18 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2014, 02:58:08 PM by Secretly Ted Cruz »

I'd love Republicans to be stupid enough to put up Gowdy, though I'd rather have Bachmann or King just for the lulz, just imagine!

But is it plausible? F*** no, though it is plausible if Boehner is voted off by the Caucus, Cantor is far more likely to take over.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »

rob in cal
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »

In such a scenario could we perhaps see something I've always been intrigued by, a bi-partisan Speaker vote, in which Dems vote as a block with the moderates of the GOP to elect a more moderate GOP member as speaker?  This is the same coalition which has passed the debt ceiling increase, and would pass the Immigration increase/amnesty proposal if it could get to a vote in the house.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 05:53:01 PM »

No; I can see him getting some sort of judgeship after a few terms if a Republican wins in 2016.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »

No, Boehner is safe. Cantor is his heir, unless of course Ryan decides to go for it in which case no one will stand in his way. Strange things can happen, of course -- in early 1999, dissatisfied House Republicans forced Gingrich out and a sex scandal forced his "heir", Livingston, out as well, leading to the creation of a power vacuum. But I do think the winner of such a vacuum, on the Republican side, would be someone at least slightly more senior -- Kevin McCarthy (California) or Cathy McMorris Rodgers (Washington) come to mind.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »

He has a better shot than Joe Wilson in that it is conceivable that Gowdy could someday become Speaker, but 3 January 2015 is definitely not that day.

The only shot South Carolina had at gaining the Speakership in 2015 was ruined by Nikki when she appointed Tim Scott to DeMint's vacancy, and even that would have been a long shot that involved him being a compromise dark horse candidate after a divisive fight for the post between others.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:01:05 AM »

Southern Republican = Likely, but not what I want
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 11:11:32 AM »

If we're talking a South Carolina Republican, I think it'll either be Sanford or Mulvaney
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »

If we're talking a South Carolina Republican, I think it'll either be Sanford or Mulvaney

wat
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 03:56:51 PM »

wat

Mark Sanford, everything else that he is, has at least some credibility with the rest of the parties leadership. Gowdy, really doesn't.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »

God no. He sounds like a dyspeptic prosecutor, with a Manichean "tude" as it were, with him the white knight riding out to slay the evil doers. That all leads at once to poor marketing, and more importantly to poor decisions and governance. Granted he's smart which can be again at once be mitigatory, or exacerbatory, depending on the circumstances.

And yes, to be honest, I don't like his accent either. Call me a bigot about that if you will, but it irritates me.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 09:03:13 PM »

Before Trey Gowdy ever ran for the House, I remember seeing him multiple times on the TV show Forensic Files.

Yes I know this post is irrelevant...just saying.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 01:17:09 AM »

He has a better shot than Joe Wilson in that it is conceivable that Gowdy could someday become Speaker, but 3 January 2015 is definitely not that day.

The only shot South Carolina had at gaining the Speakership in 2015 was ruined by Nikki when she appointed Tim Scott to DeMint's vacancy, and even that would have been a long shot that involved him being a compromise dark horse candidate after a divisive fight for the post between others.
Pun, I assume?  The only way Tim Scott would have ever gotten enough votes for Speaker is if the Republicans were desperate to appear less racist.
I considered not using the phrase for the obvious reason you pointed out, but even were he a horse of a different color, he'd have been a dark horse candidate had the GOP been so fractured as to consider someone with little seniority for the job.  But yeah, his race is what would have made him a possible choice for a fractured party.  Otherwise, he wouldn't have had enough seniority to have had a chance.  However, had Scott remained in the House, he would have a shot at a leadership position someday regardless of his race, but like Obama's presidential run, his race would enable him to take a shot at such a thing sooner than he otherwise could have.  Being able to say you would be the first _____ to hold a position gives people another reason to look at you and take the time to decide whether you should hold the position.  Doesn't help you at all if you are unsuited for the position and indeed, the extra scrutiny from being a possible first _____ means you won't be able to slide into the job if you aren't.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »

Granted there has been a lot of turnover recently, but I imagine that the next Speaker will have been elected before 2010.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies