Balance of Power - Second Great-Turkish War (1902)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:51:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power - Second Great-Turkish War (1902)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Balance of Power - Second Great-Turkish War (1902)  (Read 7047 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:32:22 PM »
« edited: April 13, 2014, 04:18:06 PM by Senator Lumine »

War Thread:
Second Great-Turkish War:

War Info:

-Context: Right at the beginning of 1902, the British Empire shocked the world by finally abandoning its policy of protecting Abdul Hamid II and launching a war to depose him. France is expected to join this alliance, and many small states in the Balkans might jump in at the fist sign of Ottoman weakness.

-Beligerents: Ottoman Empire v. United Kingdom, Russian Tsardom and French Republic.

All right, this is our first war (but not the last, I'm sure of that), so I am testing new rules here. I think this will be a rather amusing event, so let's get the rules set:

1.- Thread Use: This thread will be used for everything related to the war, that is, military moves and diplomacy. Same goes for other countries joining the war.

2.- Turns: Since six months is too long for a turn in a war, we will play wars with turns of three months, which means, two war turns for every main turn in the game. This turns will involve some military decisions, map updates, and so forth.

3.- Moves: Pretty explanatory, you post your moves and I calculate the result. I'll use a random number generator for the battles (from the point of view of the attacker), and results and offensives will be corrected for historical accuracy, so while I may make some mistakes don't expect ASB's.

Decisive Defeat 1-5.
Major Defeat: 6-18.
Tactical Defeat: 19-29
Stalemate: 30-55.
Tactical Victory: 55-69.
Major Victory 70-84.
Decisive Victory 85-89.
Pyrrhic victory: 90-100.

Those are the rules, if any conflict arises I will update the rules of modify them if something doesn't work. I will post the map of the conflict (so war), and the players will give me their moves, reactions, or war declarations if they join. Other countries might join as well, but that will depend on how the war is going.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:33:04 PM »

War Map:

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2014, 09:46:21 PM by Spamage »

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

--On January 2nd the British Fleet stationed in Cyprus advances on Istanbul, taking advantage of the fact that the Dardanelles will be unprepared for war. Shelling will commence on Istanbul and should the city not immediately surrender, and an army will land if after several more days the city still resists.

--London aligns itself with resistance to Ottoman Rule and issues fliers and promisies to the minorities in Ottoman lands. Should the Albanians, Greeks, Bulgarians, Romanians, and others resist Ottoman rule and fight successfully the British will work towards liberating them.

--The army stationed in Malta lands in Albania and advances on Tirana, hoping for assistance (but not relying on it) to take Tirana.

--The army in the newly constructed forts along the Suez pushes into Palestine. Another force lands from ships on the shores of the region.

--The British Government issues a promise to the Arabians that it will allow them to operate as a satellite de facto independent government should they help expel the Ottomans from the Arabian Peninsula. The Wahhabi are guaranteed religious freedom and the Bedouin will once again control the interior of Arabia.

--British troops in Yemen, presumably to go fight the Boer War, advance north pushing towards Mecca and Medina, and hoping to meet the Arabian Bedouins there.

--In Kuwait the British garrison marches on Baghdad.

--The Empire is blockaded in Turkey, Libya, and Iraq

--A second Egyptian Army consisting of both Sepoys and British troops pushes into Libya with the goal of freeing Benghazi from Ottoman rule and giving in to the British Ally, France.

--An army stationed in Cyprus lands in southern Turkey, near Mersin.

--Machine gun production is increased in industrial regions and the game-changing weapons are sent to armies in the Ottoman War.

--London offers an end to the war should the Ottomans Agree to the following terms: Create Armenia, Create Albania, Grant Bulgaria full independence and increase its size, give Syria to France, Give Palestine and Jordan to the UK, Give Iraq and Hedjaz to UK, Give Libya to France, Cede territory to Greece, Create a limited monarchy and a national assembly centered in Ankara, Issue a wide variety of western reforms, Cede Istanbul to Greece.

--London Banks shut off all agreements with the Ottomans in order to damage their economy. Assets of loyal Ottoman subjects are frozen and any money of the Ottoman government in London is seized and given to the British military. (Seeing as Britain was the financial capital of the world until OTL WWI)

--An embargo on Ottoman goods is issued throughout the Commonwealth. Instead trade that was meant for the Ottomans is either shipped to other developing colonies such as Australia and British Africa, or is given to the War effort. Merchants are to be paid market prices to keep them happy and improve the British Economy.

--Opium is smuggled into Turkey via the black market and attempts are made in Ankara to addict the people, as happened in China, as a way to weaken the hold of Islam and loyalty to the Sultan. Furthermore British agents are to attempt to smuggle pamphlets into mainland Turkey which promise gentle treatment of the Turks should they consent to peace and rid themselves of the Sultan.

--A British Ottoman Corps is created. Should any Ottoman citizens who may fall under British Control fight against the Sultan and give proof following the War the British will give them tax breaks for the remainder of their life as well as a general well payment.

--London urges the following nations to cut their ties with the Ottomans: Austria, Italy, and Germany.

--Murad is declared as the valid sultan in British eyes.

--Diplomats are sent to inquire if Persia would join the war.

--British Canadian Navy sent to further the Blockade
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2014, 10:55:42 PM by Snowstalker »

The Russian Empire

Though we at first advocated our desire for a cautious policy towards Turkey, the dogs of war have been let loose and Russia must once again turn her guns toward her old enemy. We call on our Orthodox brothers to join us in one last struggle to finally neuter the Ottoman menace and to reclaim Constantinople, and hereby declare war on the Ottoman Empire. Below is what we hope to accomplish from our campaign:

The remaining Turkish occupation of the Balkans shall be partitioned as proposed, while the heavily Greek portions of Anatolia, including the city of Constantinople, shall go to our Greek brothers, with a Turkish rump state capitaled in Ankara. Arabia has been left white; we have no interest here and believe it will be in some way divided between Britain and any independent Arab states. Armenia shall become its own kingdom in personal union with Russia (similar to Finland's current situation), while Kurdistan shall become a Russian protectorate (if necessary, we are willing to sacrifice a Kurdish protectorate to Britain).

The Balkan nations we call to declare war upon Turkey may conduct their own campaigns. Ours shall be simple: from our holdings in Armenia and Georgia we move into Anatolia, hugging the coast with most forces and sending others into the mountain passages with the ultimate goal being the seizure of Ankara and the gathering of support from Kurdish and Armenian militias. The Black Sea Fleet at this time is not ready to launch a large naval invasion but large enough to control the Black Sea; do this and make every attempt to strangle the Turks at the Dardanelles and Bosporus straits. If our Balkan friends consent, a sufficient force will be moved through Romania to liberate the semi-independent Bulgaria and seize the port of Burgas, pushing downwards with cooperation from the Balkan states to take all European holdings of the Turkish Empire and besiege Constantinople from land.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:08:08 PM »

Britain's proposal for the partition of the Ottoman Empire in response to Russia's recent announcement.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 11:11:32 PM »

We gladly accept the offer (again, Kurdistan and Arabia are rather low on our priorities list Tongue).
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 11:18:31 PM »

-- The French Republic declares that a state of war exists between itself and the Ottoman Empire. The Ottomans have acted with treachery and have worked to oppress the people's of the Mediterranean and Eastern Europe for far too long. We join our allies Britain and Russia to bring about an end to this oppressive regime.

--- French troops that were brought to Cyprus to work with the British will join the efforts of shelling Dardanelles.

--- French troops in Algeria will push into Libya in an attempt to link up with the British Sepoys coming from Egypt in a pincer movement.

--- French troops stationed in Tunisia will begin joining British forces in their effort to take Tirana.

--- The French Navy will join the British blockade of the Mediterranean.

--- Begin mass producing the weapons to fight the war in Paris. Maximize production of machine guns to be sent to the troops.

--- Place an embargo on all trade between France, her colonies and the Ottoman Empire.

--- Troops being brought back from China are to begin being directed to Turkey, linking up with our British allies where possible with the ultimate goal of pushing on Istanbul.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »

France accepts Britain's partition plan.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 11:40:00 PM »

Well, all I need now is Kalwejt's orders and we will see the results and go into phase two.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 11:47:11 PM »

Britain also wishes to announce that Italy shall gain the Dodecanese Islands if peace should be declared.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 09:00:01 AM »

OOC: I still need to think of my possible military moves, so please excuse me posting some diplomacy first.

To: The United States of America

First of all, I was deeply saddened with the cowardly assassination of Vice President Theodore Roosevelt. May his brave soul rest in peace and justice be served upon the criminals.

In spirit of our friendship, I appeal for help in pressuring the British, French and Russian to cease their aggression against my country. I do believe it's in the United States' best interest to see the Ottoman Empire remaining intact, and gaining the crucial foothold in the Mediterranean, instead of seeing the British monopolize that important region.

To: The German Empire, The Austria-Hungary Empire

The balance of power is threatened by the British-led invasion on my country. Your Empires are facing encirclement. Also, your strategic standing would be worsened by possible takeover of the crucial Berlin-Baghdad Railroad.

In our mutual interest, I am humbly asking for a quick assistance in preserving the Ottoman Empire and convincing the British, and their allies, to withdraw.

I also ask you to bring your ally of Italy on-board. We're ready to discuss with them cessions in Libya.

To: The Austria-Hungary Empire

We're requesting an immediate military assistance in the Balkans. We're also requesting your fleet to help protecting our shores, Bosporus in particular.

To: The Kingdom of Italy

In interest of keeping the European balance of power, we are asking for your support in putting stop to the British aggression on our country.

We are prepeared to discuss the Libya status.

To: The Persian Empire

If the British succeeds in defeating my country, you are facing an encirclement by their colonies. In our mutual interest, we're asking for any political and military assistance you may give.

Internal diplomacy:

Given the British support for the Wahhabi's, his enemy, I shall approach the Sharif of Mecca and his clan to help me rally the Arabs against the invasion and attempts to make the Empire just another European colony. I am prepeared to offer a very generous rewards.

Propaganda:

--- Portray Murad (closely guarded by my most loyal men) and his supporters as puppets of the western colonial powers
--- Emphasize my started reforms among the people
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 10:20:14 AM »

To Lumine- please let me know if I should be posting this in the other page instead since I am not technically in this conflict....

The USA urges all parties to exercise restraint. We are explicitly remaining neutral in this conflict between friends... we have signed formal agreements with the British and Russians and have had positive interactions with the French and Ottomans. It is in the best interest of all involved to see a peaceful resolution to this conflict, and I hope that collateral damage will be avoided at all costs.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »

Statement from Secretary of the Navy John Davis Long

All US Navy warships in the Mediterranean Sea have been ordered to avoid any engagements at sea with any of the belligerents. Our ships are exclusively there to protect our sea trade against any collateral attacks which we know that the nations involved in the war will ensure against occurring...
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 10:37:29 AM »

Russia affirms its commitment to avoid any unnecessary civilian casualties and will demand discipline from her soldiers (i.e. no looting, etc.)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »

The Ottoman Empire

--- General mobilization.

--- Freezing of all private British, French and Russian assets.

--- Seizure of all state British, French and Russian assets.

Orders to the Troops

Armenia-Georgia: A tactical withdrawal beyond mountain passes. Dug and do not let the enemy cross the passes. Send spare troops to Southern Turkey-Mersin.

Albania: Endem Pasha's elite forces, along with remaining troops, must take a defensive position to prevent possible enemy landing. Dug and do-or-die!

Libya: Prepare for a long, defensive battle. Infantry must dug trenches. Whenever possible, destroy or damage roads the enemy will be advancing through. Calvary is to remain on the move, ready to conduct swift raids and disrupt the enemy's lines.

Dardanelles: The fleet must lay mines and take defensive positions, shielded by the natural surroundings. Bring available artillery equipment to protect the coast.

Palestine: Go defensive, Dug trenches, make cities into fortresses, remember about encirclements. Do or die.

Mecca: A discreet, tactical withdrawal, although you must maintain appearances of not abandoning the city (maybe some phony small reinforcement). Spare forces to Palestine and Southern Turkey-Mersin.

Southern Turkey-Mersin: Direct as much of the spare forces as possible to empower those already in place. Dug, bring as much equipment as available, and be ready to repell any landing. DO OR DIE.

Kuwait-Baghdad: A defensive action, prevent the British from advancing. Make an extensive use of terrain to wage an unconventional warfare. Stand the ground.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »

Calculating results of Phase 1, said results will be available soon.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 01:47:41 PM »

Phase One Results:

Domestic Results:

United Kingdom: Conservatives are rather puzzled by the sudden turn in policy, but public opinion is with the Prime Minister. Edward Grey, known by his opposition to the Boer War, congratulated the Prime Minister on “trying to end the reign of terror of Abdul the Red”.

Russia: A wave of patriotism engulfs the country, as people feel the will finally get their revenge on their old enemy. The army had no time to prepare itself, so there might be logistical problems.

France: Public opinion also sides with Waldeck-Rousseau, but only if the war proves short and successful. A prolonged struggle is bound to hurt the Prime Minister, since the French people are not that willing to die for the sake of Abdul Hamid and his Empire.

Ottoman Empire: Surprisingly, the people chose to stand with their Sultan. The news that a partition was already agreed on and that British merchants were trying to introduce enormous quantities of Opium (conspiracy ironically uncovered by Abdul Hamid’s impressive secret policy) were enough for nationalism to rise and people to answer the call of mobilization. Of course, revolts have begun in Armenia and Macedonia and the Bedouin and Wahhabi tribesmen are ready to fight the Ottomans. In a drastic turn of events, Murad V died after jumping out of his window and snapping his neck, accident attributed to his mental illness. Abdul Hamid reportedly wept at the news. The trade blockade is bound to hurt the Ottomans, but for the time being they can hold on.

Warfare Results:

Armenian-Georgian Front:
-Stalemate: While the Armenian Revolt is hurting the Ottomans, their tactical withdrawal did wonders and they resisted at the mountain passes. The Russians had to time to prepare, and as a result they suffer from logistical strain.

Albanian Front:
-Tactical Anglo-French Victory: With the help of Albanian rebels and the fleet, the joint French-British forces managed to take the ports of Durres and Vlore. But alas, Endem Pasha managed to retreat without major losses, and he still has control over most of Albania.

Libya:
-Pyrrhic Anglo-French Victory: With a strong drive, the French managed to occupy the city of Tripoli and the British took Tobruk, sustaining rather heavy losses in the process thanks to Turkish cavalry raids. Turkish forces have relocated their trenches, and they still control everything from Agedabia to the outskirts of Tobruk.

Dardanelles:
-Tactical Anglo-French Victory: With the Dardanelles filled with ships and minefields, it was impossible to outright reach Constantinople. A series of successful skirmishes forced the Ottoman Fleet to remain defense, and several of the minefields were removed. The Russian Fleet failed to do the same, though. Overall, Constantinople is still safe, but the British are getting closer.

Palestine:
-Tactical Turkish Victory: The British attack on Palestine started strong, but the Turkish defense was not willing to let go. In the end, the British secured control of some rural areas, but the Turkish held the line and retained Gaza.

Mecca:
-Tactical Turkish Victory: Not much to say here. The Turkish retreat was successful and avoided losses, and the British are having a lot of trouble to get through the desert without roads. The Arab tribesmen failed to arrive to this front.

Mersin Landings:
-Stalemate: The British Army managed to secure a bridgehead, but the desperate Turkish defense has them contained for the time being (think of OTL Gallipoli). Besides, with all the troop deployments and no mobilization, the British don’t have many forces left to send here.

Kuwait-Baghdad:
-Tactical British Victory: The Kuwait garrison managed to defeat the Turkish Army in Basra, thus cancelling any potential attack against them. Alas, the Turkish managed once again to slip through, and marching of Baghdad might take months.

Overview:

-A rather surprising performance for the Ottomans. Facing a trade blockade and with all the odds against them, they held their ground and proved they are still a force to be reckoned with. Greece, Persia and Serbia have chosen to remain neutral unless they see a major defeat for the Turks, but Bulgaria has formally declared its independents (although it hasn't declared war yet).  And Romania chose to accept the Russian proposal of troop movements, meaning that the Russians can now send troops (it will take until next turn to actually arrive into Ottoman territory, and it will depend on Bulgaria. The Ottomans were already getting some help from the Americans, and rumor has it that the Kaiser will sent advisers and provide logistical support for the Ottoman Empire.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »

War Map:

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 01:52:21 PM »

I would like it to be known that by "some help from the Americans" you are referring to help offered prior to the beginning of the war.... the USA is not a belligerent in this conflict and is expressly neutral.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »

I would like it to be known that by "some help from the Americans" you are referring to help offered prior to the beginning of the war.... the USA is not a belligerent in this conflict and is expressly neutral.

Of course, Clarence is right, said line only meant economical assistance and the potential railway consession.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 03:46:25 PM »

I wish to remind the players once again that each turn means two war phases, so I will need your war orders for phase two. (To Snowstalker, Kalwejt, Spamage and Dr. Cynic)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 04:13:08 PM »

Bulgaria:

With Bulgaria being already de facto independent, we do not view their declaration as a hostile act. We are prepeared to recognize them as a sovereign and friendly state, renouncing any futher intervention in their affairs, as long as they won't assist our enemies.

We are looking forward to fruitful relations once peace is restored.

War Orders:

--- Utilize German military advisers

--- Use Berlin-Baghdad Railroad to effectively move troops and equipment

--- Newly accuired warships to await instructions

Libya: Maintain your orders.

Palestine: Maintain your orders.

Armenia-Georgia: Maintain your orders.

Dardanelles: Constantinopole must not fall! Scuttle appropriate number of boats, and spendable warships, to block the way for the enemy to land.

Reinforce the fortifications with some of newly mobilized forces as well as newly acquired artillery.

Mersin: The bridgehead must remain contained. Reinforce the positions with some of newly mobilized forces as well as newly acquired artillery.

Mecca: Direct withdrawn troops to reinforce Palestine.

Kuwait-Baghdad: Maintain your orders. The British march must be stopped. Remember about the terrain advantage.

Use calvary units the same way as in Libya.

Albania: Keep the enemy contained at all costs. Reinforcements are on the way.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »

--Mobilization of African Territories, India, Cyprus, and Malta

--Send offer to the Kurds, full independence and self governance with nominal British guidance should they come to aid the war effort.

--Troops from the Boer War in South Africa are sent to land in Palestine to reinforce the men an continue the British push out of Egypt. Another contingent will reinforce the beachheads of Mercin.

--The Wahhabi and Bedouins are both requested to officially begin attacking the Ottomans.

--Troops in Iraq continue to push towards Baghdad

--1 Sepoy Army from India is sent to land in Eastern Arabia

--1 Sepoy Army from India is sent to reinforce the Iraqi troops and continue the campaign.

--Libyan campaign is to continue

--In the Dardanelles the men initially meant to land on Istanbul are to land and take the Ottoman positions before they are reinforced or fully prepared. In the meantime the navy will block any Ottoman attempts to scuttle ships by either seizing the ships themselves or through bribery of Ottoman Captains.

--Continue to campaign in Albania, reinforce the men with a contingent of men from the Isles

--With Mecca undefended push towards the city from Yemen and Oman at double speed. If we can seize all of Hedjaz we can his the area of Palestine from 2 fronts.

--The British Navy is to continue, and tighten the blockade with the new ships from India and Africa. The Ottoman Empire is hardly self sufficient and by losing territory it become less and less so.

--We fully blame the Sultan's government for the murder of Murad. The Sultan's grief was probably over the fact that his plot was discovered.

--Greece is officially invited into the War along with Serbia and Bulgaria.

--Push into Libya, knowing the Ottomans there will have an untenable position should they be surrounded by both Britain and France.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 06:51:53 PM »

• Continue our offensive into Anatolia. After taking the coastal town of Sinop,  forces will begin to turn south to take Ankara. Continue setting a blockade of all Turkish coastal waters along the Black Sea.
  • Continue military preparations, though full mobilization at this point is not necessary.
  • Most importantly, we again appeal on our Orthodox Balkan brothers--Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, Romania, and Montenegro--to join the struggle against the decadent and tyrannical Turkish Empire. To assist them, our armies in Romania will first ask for permission to move through Bulgaria to push through to the Aegean Sea and cut off Thrace and Constantinople by land. If they refuse, we will appeal to Serbia to allow passage of troops and from there push to meet the British in Kosovo, Albania, or Macedonia, depending on how successful both they and we are in offensives.
  • On the home front, mass-distribute propaganda about the savagery of Ottoman rule over its ethnic minorities, both Christian and Muslim. Hark back to historical victories against Turkey and present the conflict as a final struggle to eliminate our greatest foe over the past two centuries.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 11:26:11 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2014, 11:28:09 PM by Dr. Cynic »

--- Bring troops up through Libya from French Equatorial Africa, which will surround the Ottomans on three sides as our troops from Algeria continue to push to meet the British.

--- Present War Propaganda to the public and encourage public service by signing up to defeat the duplicitous Turks who are being supported by the Kaiser all the while they had promised France they'd begin toning down their relationship with Germany.

--- Troops in Tripoli are advised to resupply and push on.

--- 1 full army from France will be sent to assist the British at Mersin.

--- Continue to push hard for Istanbul.

--- All other fronts are to continue pushing as planned.

--- Work to double factory output. Present this to the public as a victory for the French worker.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies