SENATE BILL: The Duke-Scott Educating The People Reform (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:08:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Duke-Scott Educating The People Reform (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Duke-Scott Educating The People Reform (Debating)  (Read 12020 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: June 26, 2014, 01:29:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not offering a formal amendment yet, I want to see reactions. I kinda butchered Section III with this, but I feel we should vote on this as soon as we can.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #276 on: June 26, 2014, 08:22:49 PM »

I think we should emphasize that the computers in question are student-usable infrastructure.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #277 on: June 26, 2014, 09:22:03 PM »

Where are you guys getting the money to do this?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #278 on: June 26, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »

I don't think we should be specific about Windows XP.  Some schools use Macs.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #279 on: June 27, 2014, 02:26:26 AM »

Our limitless coffers
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #280 on: June 27, 2014, 03:21:02 AM »

Indeed. I honestly don't want to lose more time on this as I feel it's time to get this passed, so do you have any suggestions regarding the right language, Shua? I'm out of ideas here...

Think of it as an investment, Deus. It's not the most responsible bill out there, but we've been working in reducing costs and this should bring benefits in the long term that we should not ignore just because it's an expensive investment.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #281 on: June 27, 2014, 03:50:10 AM »

2008 or newer release OS? (SP3 of Win XP was 2008 and plain XP and XP SP 1 were crap).
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #282 on: June 27, 2014, 04:56:33 PM »

Indeed. I honestly don't want to lose more time on this as I feel it's time to get this passed, so do you have any suggestions regarding the right language, Shua? I'm out of ideas here...

Think of it as an investment, Deus. It's not the most responsible bill out there, but we've been working in reducing costs and this should bring benefits in the long term that we should not ignore just because it's an expensive investment.
I'm not saying it isn't a good investment, but you can't invest money you don't have...
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #283 on: June 27, 2014, 10:08:58 PM »

I'm not saying it isn't a good investment, but you can't invest money you don't have...

Off course you can, although that will break your Libertarian principles. The things is that Governments can run deficits and still have a solid fiscal policy. We shall not always be thinking in the short term and sometimes it's necessary to borrow money via Treasury Bond. As long as we properly control our finances, as long as we don't go mad and spend without any control and as long as we have a sustainable path to bring better budgetary balance on the long run, there shall not be any problem on spending money that we currently not have.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #284 on: June 27, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »

Countries don't run on household budgets.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #285 on: June 27, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »

I realize that and I never implied that they did. Countries spend money that they receive from taxpayers and creditors. Since we don't have any taxpayer money to spend, the money needs to come from creditors. However, this bill doesn't say anything about that. You need to clarify the source of this money if you want this bill to make sense and not screw up future budget processes.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #286 on: June 27, 2014, 10:50:44 PM »

Off course you can, although that will break your Libertarian principles. The things is that Governments can run deficits and still have a solid fiscal policy. We shall not always be thinking in the short term and sometimes it's necessary to borrow money via Treasury Bond. As long as we properly control our finances, as long as we don't go mad and spend without any control and as long as we have a sustainable path to bring better budgetary balance on the long run, there shall not be any problem on spending money that we currently not have.
This bill says nothing about Treasury bonds...
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #287 on: June 27, 2014, 11:16:39 PM »

Still arguing the finer points of wifi and technology, it seems. To think Scott and I had at least 2 more parts to our education reform. They'll never see the light of day now. Tongue

This debate certainly isn't going in the direction I thought it would, but I'll have to take some responsibility for that...
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #288 on: June 28, 2014, 12:57:22 AM »

I realize that and I never implied that they did. Countries spend money that they receive from taxpayers and creditors. Since we don't have any taxpayer money to spend, the money needs to come from creditors. However, this bill doesn't say anything about that. You need to clarify the source of this money if you want this bill to make sense and not screw up future budget processes.

What's the upside to that? We know we have the credit for it. It's just more work for the legislators otherwise.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2014, 01:24:08 AM »

2008 or newer release OS? (SP3 of Win XP was 2008 and plain XP and XP SP 1 were crap).

Maybe this, if the emphasis is going to be on computer operating systems.   On the other hand we could leave it more open ended on what the schools will get, so long as we are clear about the purpose of the grant, but the cost on this may be harder to determine and/or much higher.  If every school qualifies for the maximum amount, with very roughly 100,000 public schools in the country x $50,000 =  about $5 billion.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #290 on: June 29, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »

Still arguing the finer points of wifi and technology, it seems. To think Scott and I had at least 2 more parts to our education reform. They'll never see the light of day now. Tongue

This debate certainly isn't going in the direction I thought it would, but I'll have to take some responsibility for that...

No, it's not your fault. I'm just sad our plans will never see the light of day, at least for the rest of my time in office. And it's sad. We had such plans. Sad
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #291 on: June 29, 2014, 09:02:11 PM »

Ya'll are stuck in the mud on specifics. Windows XP? Mac? Just let school districts decide and let an Inspector General/Attorney General prosecute/fine them if they determine that the bill was implemented in a (for a sudden lack of a better word) improper or bad way.

This bill needs to keep moving forward. Don't forget the goal here, to make education better! Smiley
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #292 on: June 30, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »

I object to that proposed amendment, if there's still time to do that.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #293 on: July 01, 2014, 12:56:28 AM »

Unless I am mistaken there are no amendments presently before this.

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #294 on: July 01, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »

Unless I am mistaken there are no amendments presently before this.

TNF opposes imaginary amendment. No sopresa
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #295 on: July 01, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »

What is the hold up with this now? I just wanted to be able to sign this before I left office, but I don't think I'll be able to now. At least Scott and I have our names on it... Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #296 on: July 01, 2014, 12:08:10 PM »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #297 on: July 01, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »

What is the hold up with this now? I just wanted to be able to sign this before I left office, but I don't think I'll be able to now. At least Scott and I have our names on it... Tongue

Problems with the language in Section III, so here goes my last proposal:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #298 on: July 02, 2014, 03:13:43 AM »

Are you offering that at this time?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #299 on: July 02, 2014, 11:12:34 AM »

All I wanted to do was set some minimum standards and expand technology in our public schools. Scott and I felt this would be the easiest part of our reform. The next two parts did deal with giving regions more control over their fate and also increase the standards for teachers.

OH WELL. It was a good run. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies